General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2005-04-28 3:04 PM
in reply to: #149557

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: RE: Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad!

Gwendal - 2005-04-28 2:09 PM Holy mackeral, people, you are WONDERFUL! I came back and read this thread and promptly raced over to the online registration for the Danskin and signed up. I've been a bit down lately about my athletic abilities. A guy I know got into a conversation with me about how I wasn't really an athlete because I'm not very good at anything. I was a bit puzzled by this because it seems to me that people who show up and train week after week, month after month, year after year and then show up and compete actually ARE athletes. When they spend all their online time on athletic-related websites, when they physically shudder at the thought of eating chili-cheese-fries (ewwww!) when they spend all their disposable income at the LBS... doesn't that make me an athlete? It *seems* to me that would be enough. But this conversation really undermined my confidence, and then to have my lack of prowess at all three sports so deftly illustrated, well, I got shaken. Thanks for picking me up and setting me back on the right path. And the rain quit so maybe it's time to take my Lab (Ela) out for a muddy run. :-) Gwendal

Sometimes that voice I talked about comes from someone else.  Remember, the voice is ALWAYS WRONG.  Don't let this guy's insecurities about himself flow over into your outlook about yourself.  Please post a report when you finish the race.  I'd be excited to read it. 

When people ask me why I do this, I tell them that it is the only event I've seen where the person DFL is as happy as the first place winner.  It is a sense of accomplishment like no other.  Glad you decided to race. 

2005-04-28 4:07 PM
in reply to: #149463

User image

molto veloce mama
congrats on registering for yur first race. what can i say that hasn't already been said? get out there and do it. it will be fun, hard, awesome, painful, exciting, exhilarating. if you're doing 10 min miles now, i can't wait to see you zoom by after 12 weeks of training. have a great race!
2005-04-28 4:34 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO TO YOURSELF?? STOP IT!!!

You are used to working intense muscle action from your strong man days. You now need to concentrate on relaxing them and making them work in a different format - longer times and steady.

Take your time, I just did my first mini tri this past weekend and needed to stop and stretch in the T2 area before jugging at my dizzying 10min mile pace. There was a 9 year old girl that left me in the dust (I just moved to one side and let her be as happy as I was). There was another gent. that did the doggy paddle YES THE DOGGY PADDLE the entire swim leg and then I caught him walking across the finish line but HE MADE IT!!!

The season is just starting so why not look for a tri more towards the end of the season if you feel that insecure about it? I've not seen any rules that state you must swim with a certain stroke or speed, nor have I see where it states you HAVE TO run after T2.

ENJOY IT!! And you'll come back for more. Good luck and let us know your progress.

Eddie
2005-04-28 4:50 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
You are right there in terms of times. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the Danskin when you see women with baskets on their bikes and walking the 5K. Don't worry, it sounds like you'd already be a MOP'er (middle of the packer).
Just have fun and don't worry about everyone else out there.
2005-04-28 8:51 PM

Master
Gwendal,

Ignore that voice. I did my first tri last weekend, after I spent months debating if I'm really ready to do an Olympic distance tri as my first one. Even as early as two weeks ago I wasn't even sure I could get past the swim portion which is by far my weakest event. I spent months relearning how to swim, but I just wasn't getting it, and than all of sudden I find myself in chute at St. Anthony's. And when I got around the last buoy and headed up those stairs it didn't matter if I was dead last. Actually, I was in my division for the swim, but I finished. I conquered my fear of the swim. It didn't matter how slow I was, the whole idea is to get out there and do it. Think about what you are doing, there are not a lot of people that are doing what you doing. You have made the first step by commiting yourself to do a tri and you are going to do awesome. It's not about how fast you are, it's about the journey that got you to that finish line. We all have our ups and downs with training, believe me, I've had them, but when you cross that finish in a few months, all those troubles you had will go away, and you can crown yourself a triathlete. Were all here for you and we'll be cheering you on!!!
2005-04-28 8:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Ah, knock it off! Your thoughts almost exactly mirror my own, and it seems we would end up about tied if we ran the same event!! I'm not much under a 10 minute pace (I couldn't outrun lava), it takes me over 3 minutes to swim a hundred yards, and - well, my cycling is the only decent thing I have going for me.

It sounds like our events are almost the same date. I'm doing the Columbus Int'l Olympic distance on July 24th.......what are you doing? let's stay motivated to work hard over the three months ahead, then go out and have fun and compare write-ups at the end of July. I bet we'll both have finished and both have had a blast!! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!

2005-04-28 9:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

Whoa - cut yourself some slack!  Only training since January?   Keep in mind that many triathletes have been at it for years.

To make you feel better, my run pace is about 15 minute mile.  Following some nasty shin splints, I am quite possibly the slowest runner in the world.  Very depressing, but I know I'll get better.  Prior to shin splints I was only at about 10:30 minute mile after a year of running (or jogging, to be more accurate).

You have 13 more weeks, and you can improve a lot in that time period.  Are you following a specific plan?  I would recommend Triathlon Training in Just 4 Hours a Week by Eric Harr.  I used it for my first sprint and it was a great help to me.  It contains several different plans based on your level of fitness and the hours each week you can devote to training.  It also has a lot of inspirational stories.

Hang in there.  Don't give up.  Finishing your first triathlon will give you some awesome memories.  All of this training will pay off - trust me!   Just don't beat yourself up.   Sounds like you are doing great.  Try to have some fun along the way.

2005-04-28 10:02 PM

Canton
I'm going into the 4th month of the 13 week sprint program from here....

In January...

I couldn't swim...
I could haven't touched a bike in over a decade
and I couldn't run...

KEEP AT IT...

I am utterly amazed at how much improvement can be made just by sticking to it.....
Use the logs and keep pushing yourself...you'll see the times come down....

Good Luck!!
2005-04-28 10:27 PM
in reply to: #149557

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I used to have this t-shirt that said on the back:

All your life, they will tell you NO. People in your life will tell you that you're too small or too old or too dumb or too weak to do this or be that or become the other thing. All your life they will tell you NO, a thousand times NO until all the NOs are meaningless. They will tell you NO. You will tell them YES.

Carrie
2005-04-28 10:36 PM
in reply to: #149599

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Tania - 2005-04-28 2:57 PM

You signed up?? You really did it? Man, WE ROCK and so do YOU! And while we are still (hopefully) still able to have such an influence on you, may we suggest you dump that life-sucking ass*@%e from your atmosphere as soon as possible? Good deal, you signed UP! Let us know how your training is progressing, and how your race goes.

Yup, this afternoon. Then I took my dog out for a run in the muck. This place really inspires me.

As for your advice regarding the life-sucking jerk, I agree totally. I had been active in another online community (more focused on weightlifting) and I just realized one day (in January) that the place had a sucky attitude and I didn't want to hang with them anymore. That's the day I landed here. I've rarely been back there (despite having hung out there for many years) and mostly it's EXACTLY because of the life-sucking toxic atmosphere.

BTW, the guy who was so weird about the term "athlete" thought it was a term reserved only for world-class athletes. Mark Allen is a triathlete. I'm just a fat middle-aged housewife in his opinion. (None of that is true, by the way: but he met me when I was obese years ago. It's also a stretch to call me a "housewife" since I run my own CPA firm.... it just happens to be in my house. Middle-aged... maybe, but I'm younger now in many ways than when I was fat.)

It seems to me that the term "athlete" is most useful with qualifiers, but an awful lot of people fall into the overall category by virtue of having similar interests and lifestyles. Whether you're a 'special olympics athlete' or a 'week-end athlete' or a "triathlete' you make your sport a priority, make sacrifices for it, it influences the rest of your lifestyle, and you show up and sweat. Who cares if you get famous doing it? (Well, Lance cares but he's unusual.) Anyway, that was my argument. His argument was that I was too pitiful to be anything other than a poser. Toxic thinking.

Gwendal
2005-04-28 11:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
The others have said it all already.

But here is my story I keep repeating it ( I like the sound of it).

I am at a race cheering on a friend this guy is standing beside me, as people are going by he looks over and says why are YOU not out there and then laughed.

I was pissed off, yea it really hurt.

I was 325lbs I am only 5'4" I looked at him and said someday maybe I will.

I left that race found the last race of the season and registered for it and started training.

I did that first race it was a sprint I was S L O W but I finished and was not last. HA.

The following year I did some Sprint races and Olympic races it was good. last year I did a few races and tackled my 1st 1/2 Iron race, so it can be done...

Oh and for those of you still reading this....

I am down to 195lbs. and I am doing THAT race... This year.

Go get them.

Roy

2005-04-29 12:03 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
You asked for a reality check....You seem to suffer from low self esteem. People here have held a mirror in front of you: read these posts again: that is what you appear like to them based on what you wrote. You need to try and see yourself the way others see you. Being down on yourself is not good for your mental health. There are a lot of people here that would happily trade with your parameters, times etc. there are folks that have much, much harder strugles in this sport than what you portray.

Edited by us50090 2005-04-29 12:04 AM
2005-04-29 12:11 AM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
Gwendal - you rock. I'm a complete and utter newbie here and to the triathlon world as well. You're getting inspiration from this great place, but if you didn't know it let me clue you in - you're an inspiration yourself. When I read about regular joes like me picking up and putting their mind to something so few, few people on the face of the planet would even consider, it gives me hope... Hope that I'm not totally crazy for trying this. Hope that my body will stand up to it, that my willpower will sustain me, that I will find support along the way... Hope that if you can do it, so can I.

And since giving someone hope is just about the most beautiful thing one human being can do for another, I thank you.

Cheers!
Rob

Edited by rheros 2005-04-29 12:14 AM
2005-04-29 2:27 AM

Subject: No no no nononononono...
No, REALLY bad is all those millions of people who are doing nothing but sitting on their a#@ on the couch watching tv and eating Doritos, you are NOT one of them! You are not nearly the slowest, and you are trying. Give yourself credit. Look at it this way, you just have more room for improvement than some others, therefore, will set more pr's and have a very exciting time getting there! Have fun!

J.
2005-04-29 10:18 AM

User image

Master
I have to agree with what everyone has written. Don't worry about your times, just go out and prepare yourself to become a triathlete. Once you cross that finish line, that is what you are. You are going to do great.

Bill
2005-04-29 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
I am right there with you Gwendal though maybe not as down on myself. I am definitely slow. I used to be a pretty good athlete in HS-medals, trophies and all, but I have been a lie about party-er since then. Now 10 years and 40 lbs later I expect myself to be able to run 6 min miles like I used to be able to. It's just not realistic.

Most people I know couldn't even finish a sprint tri. My GF keeps reminding me of that, that she will be so proud of me for just finishing when 4 mos ago she could barely get me off the couch to go for a walk. My anxiety and stress levels have plummeted since I started training (I had panic attacks last fall from school stress), I have gone down almost 2 pants sizes, and I walk around usually feeling happy about life and myself rather than like everything is a grind. Those are the real benefits of doing this for me. The benefit is in the daily training, not the racing.

I had a moment where I was really down on my biking last week when I figured out that I will be close to last in the bike leg. Then I decided that I don't care too much. Yes, I will be a bit embarassed to be last, but my original goal was simply to finish and that is well within sight now. I will worry more about time next year. Just go and do it and try to not be too competitive.

2005-04-29 11:37 AM
in reply to: #149810

Subject: RE: Gwendall
Gwendal - 2005-04-28 10:36 PM

Tania - 2005-04-28 2:57 PM

You signed up?? You really did it? Man, WE ROCK and so do YOU! And while we are still (hopefully) still able to have such an influence on you, may we suggest you dump that life-sucking ass*@%e from your atmosphere as soon as possible? Good deal, you signed UP! Let us know how your training is progressing, and how your race goes.

Yup, this afternoon. Then I took my dog out for a run in the muck. This place really inspires me.

As for your advice regarding the life-sucking jerk, I agree totally. I had been active in another online community (more focused on weightlifting) and I just realized one day (in January) that the place had a sucky attitude and I didn't want to hang with them anymore. That's the day I landed here. I've rarely been back there (despite having hung out there for many years) and mostly it's EXACTLY because of the life-sucking toxic atmosphere.

BTW, the guy who was so weird about the term "athlete" thought it was a term reserved only for world-class athletes. Mark Allen is a triathlete. I'm just a fat middle-aged housewife in his opinion. (None of that is true, by the way: but he met me when I was obese years ago. It's also a stretch to call me a "housewife" since I run my own CPA firm.... it just happens to be in my house. Middle-aged... maybe, but I'm younger now in many ways than when I was fat.)

It seems to me that the term "athlete" is most useful with qualifiers, but an awful lot of people fall into the overall category by virtue of having similar interests and lifestyles. Whether you're a 'special olympics athlete' or a 'week-end athlete' or a "triathlete' you make your sport a priority, make sacrifices for it, it influences the rest of your lifestyle, and you show up and sweat. Who cares if you get famous doing it? (Well, Lance cares but he's unusual.) Anyway, that was my argument. His argument was that I was too pitiful to be anything other than a poser. Toxic thinking.

Gwendal

Gwendal:

If I may ask--who is this guy that told you this? I'm not sure if I missed something--is he someone you chatted with on another board, or is he in your personal life? You said..."he met me when I was...." So, I figured that you know him intimately in some way?

Sharon
2005-04-29 11:49 AM
in reply to: #149825

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
royj - 2005-04-28 11:27 PM

I am at a race cheering on a friend this guy is standing beside me, as people are going by he looks over and says why are YOU not out there and then laughed.

Response: Because you're not out there either ... A$$HOLE.

Keep on keepin' on, alla you!
2005-04-29 11:50 AM
in reply to: #149832

us50090 - 2005-04-29 12:03 AM

You asked for a reality check....You seem to suffer from low self esteem. People here have held a mirror in front of you: read these posts again: that is what you appear like to them based on what you wrote. You need to try and see yourself the way others see you. Being down on yourself is not good for your mental health. There are a lot of people here that would happily trade with your parameters, times etc. there are folks that have much, much harder strugles in this sport than what you portray.

I think it's easy to say to someone without walking a mile in his/her shoes..."you seem to suffer from low self esteem." It's possible that someone looking for reassurance might be suffering from something along those lines, but I just think that we all suffer from insecurities from time to time It's part of being human. I just thought that post was a bit...I dunno....judgemental.

ps: But, when your insecurities are manifested by the person(s) you hang with, then I think you need to get away from negative people who make you feel inept. Life's too short to associate with jerks who put you down. That's no fun.

Sharon

2005-04-29 1:25 PM
in reply to: #150025

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
All of these posts are judgmental, we are all passing judgement on what we're reading. The poster asked for a reality check.....it came in many flavors...I read a bit of unjust self pity in that post....there were enough cheerleading posts here already, more power to them....I just chose another angle...maybe the shoe doesn't fit, maybe it does... As the old saying goes...."I was all upset about breaking my leg until I saw a man with no legs"
2005-04-29 8:58 PM
in reply to: #150025

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
sharonnagy5 - 2005-04-29 11:50 AM

us50090 - 2005-04-29 12:03 AM

I think it's easy to say to someone without walking a mile in his/her shoes..."you seem to suffer from low self esteem." It's possible that someone looking for reassurance might be suffering from something along those lines, but I just think that we all suffer from insecurities from time to time It's part of being human. I just thought that post was a bit...I dunno....judgemental.

ps: But, when your insecurities are manifested by the person(s) you hang with, then I think you need to get away from negative people who make you feel inept. Life's too short to associate with jerks who put you down. That's no fun.

Sharon

No worries, Sharon, I'm fine with tough love. I half expected people to pipe up and say that 13 mph bike speeds wasn't going to cut it.

You asked who the jerk was I associated with: it was a member of an online group, but one that meets once in a while at athletic events and people got pretty close over a span of 10 years or so. I'd rather not be too specific for a variety of reasons, but the culture was very in-your-face challenging and we were expected to be able to take it. I COULD take it... but then decided I didn't NEED to take it. I'm more macho than the ordinary woman (a history of long-distance running and power-lifting sort of illustrates that) but at the same time there comes a point when it's nicer to be around nice people.

That doesn't mean that I want to live all the time with super-nice people. Honesty, challenging comments, and sometimes even in-your-face mean-ness are motivating to me. This is the first group I've trained with where people are actually kind. I'm still a bit surprised by it.

-- Gwendal

2005-04-29 9:04 PM
in reply to: #150097

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
us50090 - 2005-04-29 1:25 PM

All of these posts are judgmental, we are all passing judgement on what we're reading. The poster asked for a reality check.....it came in many flavors...I read a bit of unjust self pity in that post....there were enough cheerleading posts here already, more power to them....I just chose another angle...maybe the shoe doesn't fit, maybe it does... As the old saying goes...."I was all upset about breaking my leg until I saw a man with no legs"

I'm fine with different perspectives. We all have different gifts to bring to the table, thank goodness. And your point is a good one.

I'm not usually so low. Yesterday I was feeling particularly pitiful. But I got over it, thanks partly to this feedback. I went for a run, then later that night I finally ordered the TI DVD, then today I went swimming at noon and worked on stroke counts and showed immediate progress, and then this evening I went on a bike ride with my kid during which I had a spectacular wipe-out on pavement and now feel considerably less like a poser since my new cycling jacket has a rip (patched with duct tape) and my knee has impressive road rash. My bike has been bloodied. I'm not a poser anymore. (I do, however, have to get better at high-speed turns.)

-- Gwendal

2005-05-01 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
Say, how do you like that TI DVD? I'm thinking about ordering it, as the book just made my head spin (although to be honest, I did reduce my SPL by 2 the first time out after reading it).

Congrats on the "wipe out". Isn't it funny how different it is to wipe out as an adult than it was as a kid? I can remember some *Spectacular* wipe-outs from my childhood years -- I mean, girl-over-bike-over-girl downhill, spinning on the side wipe outs. Back then you'd hop right up, maybe get a Band-Aid if you were close enough to home.

As an adult -- oooof. You wipe out and just lie there for a minute, afraid to move...wondering what just happened and whether you have survived...world of difference!
2005-05-02 12:47 AM
in reply to: #151004

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Miko - 2005-05-01 10:29 PM

Say, how do you like that TI DVD? I'm thinking about ordering it, as the book just made my head spin (although to be honest, I did reduce my SPL by 2 the first time out after reading it).

Congrats on the "wipe out". Isn't it funny how different it is to wipe out as an adult than it was as a kid? I can remember some *Spectacular* wipe-outs from my childhood years -- I mean, girl-over-bike-over-girl downhill, spinning on the side wipe outs. Back then you'd hop right up, maybe get a Band-Aid if you were close enough to home.

As an adult -- oooof. You wipe out and just lie there for a minute, afraid to move...wondering what just happened and whether you have survived...world of difference!

I don't have the TI DVD yet, but I did read the book and thought the first 100 pages were some sort of infomercial. The meat of the program are the drills and I found value in those, but wonder if my imagination of what he's saying is wrong, so the DVDs will answer that. I think.

As for the wiping out as a grown-up, the main difference is concern for the bike! I must be a real cyclist, because my first thought was to hope was that it wasn't hurt. I hit a curb and surfed across the pavement knee, rib & shoulder (in that order, as far as I can tell) and got up and did six more miles and felt just fine in a macho, bleeding sort of way... but when I got home it all started to hurt and now a few days later I'm still in pain. THAT part is different from when I was a kid. :-)

-- Gwendal
2005-05-02 9:09 AM
in reply to: #151052

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Hey, cool wipeout! I decided I was finally a real cyclist at some point last year when, while I was riding to work, someone cut me off and I had to lock up my brakes to avoid crashing. Somehow (I have no idea how I did this), because my bike had stopped and I was still moving, I managed to leap over the handlebars and land upright on both feet. My bike fell over behind me. I was standing there panting looking around wildly going "WTF??!!" and everyone was staring. Must've been quite a sight!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reality Check: I'm REALLY bad! Rss Feed  

of 3