United States
Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 45m 18s
Overall Rank = 381/936
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 51/101
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and took a shower @ 3:45. We loaded all of our gear the night before so all we (my father and I) had to do was hop in the car and head out to the race site. On our way out I saw lighting but could not tell what the clouds looked like. As we got closer I saw a spotlight at the race site that showed the cloud ceiling to be very low. Once we got there I saw Tommy (ziacyclist), David, Kevin and a few other people I knew. We chatted for a minute and then I headed to the start. At this point the wind was starting to pick up and gust quite nicely.
Event warmup:

After getting all of my gear set up in transition I headed down to the water just before the pros took off. Talked with Tommy for a brief second and then jumped in the water and swam for a few minutes to warm up. I realized the water was warmer than the air/wind and stayed in the water until my wave was called. They quickly called my wave and I headed to the shute and onto the beach. I saw Michael(fendermh1027)and we talked for a second before he headed to the right side.
Swim
  • 39m 52s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was not great but not terrible either. The start was crazy but not any more than what I expected. The usual people swimming on top of you, various body parts hurled in your direction, etc. etc. After the start I tried to draft but people were swimming EVERYWHERE. By that I mean there were people constantly swimming across my path. I thought my sighting was bad but some of these people were just WAYYYYY off. These guys cleared out about halfway and I was actually able to focus on swimming. I felt pretty good and just swam for a while. I saw 2 green caps come flying by me and I tried to draft and hang with them but I could not keep the pace. It was fun to try though. Man, they were fast. Water got a little choppy towards the swim exit.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing that I can think of right now.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

I came flying out of the water and people were just standing around.... it looked like they were chatting and having tea. I pushed (sorry if it was you I pushed) through the bunch and went to the very last wetsuit stripper (per Tommy's advice) which worked out great. The suit got stuck on my heels but it did not take long before I jumped back up and headed for my bike. I used 2 large trees to mark my spot and it worked out great. Grabbed my helmet and tossed my other stuff down. At the mount line there was a huge bunch up so I ran past it with my bike and jumped on there.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 53m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike course was tough. There were 8 "significant hills". I paced myself on the bike so that I would not bonk on the run. We drove the bike course the day before the race and it was pretty obvious to me at that point that it was going to be tough for me to hit my bike goals. Once I got out on the bike course though it was not too bad, I hit the first 2 hills with no problems and then started out for the remainder of the course. On the first long straight area heading south I thought that I was a freaking speed demon.... I was hitting 30+ on a flat with pretty low effort. Little did I know that I was hitting that because of the strong tailwind. :) Once I U-turned and headed the opposite direction I realized what was going on but kept plugging away. The other hills were long and I was feeling pretty good. I was keeping my avg pace over 20 and was feeling strong. Around mile 30 or so I saw Tommy as he passed me on a hill and he was looking good. I saw my Dad also coming the opposite way and hollered at him. Things were going fine until it really started to rain. The whole course was pretty much wet from the rain but it came down pretty good on me for about the last 30-45 minutes. I slowed (not intentionally) and my avg was just dropping. I also really had to pee. I figured it was raining anyways so what the heck.... I waited until one of the handups and yelled for water, at which time I just let it go. Rinsed myself off with the water I picked up and kept moving. Not sure why I'm even putting that in here.....

I did not realize how lucky I had been until I was packing up my gear to leave. My front tire was flat and there was a thorn stuck in it. Somehow I made it through without getting a flat until I set the bike down. How lucky is that????

Push harder and not be so conservative... I was underpacing and probably could have pushed harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Did not use the feet on top of shoes technique like usual because of the hill coming into transition. All of my gear was completely soaked and water logged. Other than that transition was good.

Cover my gear if I know it might rain.
Run
  • 2h 06m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

When I started out on the run I actually felt pretty damn good. My legs were there and I had no pain. My goal was to keep the pace @ or below 9:30 so I focused on my pace. I took the first hill no problem, although I went slow I did not stop. Headed out of the park and then hit the first descent. The next hill was not so nice but I refused to walk. I pushed up the hill and kept going. Hit energy lab rd and was still feeling good. The last hill was just staring me in the eyes as I came up to it. I think just looking at it as you approach is more of a battle than climbing it. I climbed it and did not stop on this one either. Came back into the park and pushed it on home. About a mile from the finish I saw David and I yelled something encouraging to him as he was walking and he told me he was hurt and needed a ride home..... I thought to myself as I was looking at him that his front tooth was missing. I dismissed it as a delusion and kept on trucking (Turns out he did lose his tooth. He shattered it on his aero bottle straw).

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Came throught the finisher chute and saw my brother waiting for me. No real warm-down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and the weather.

Event comments:

Great event and great course. This is definitely a course for those folks who want a challenge. I raced the N.O. 70.3 and this one was A LOT tougher.

Last updated: 2008-12-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:52 | 1931 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/101
Overall: 407/936
Performance: Average
HR monitor cracked on the swim somehow......
Suit: Zoot Sleeveless
Course: Right turn around the first bouy and then the rest were all to the left.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:53:42 | 56 miles | 19.34 mile/hr
Overall: 322/936
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Mostly flat with lots of wind and some long hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:06:53 | 13.1 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 462/936
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back run course with 3 large hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-30 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

2009-06-30 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2253641

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
Great job out there man.  "significant" hills.. lol.. you got that right.  I remember a guy yelling about getting a tooth knocked out.  Hope he's OK.
2009-06-30 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Great race you had.  Going sub 6 on your first attempt at BSLT is a great accomplishment.  Finish MOP in the M30-35 is very good.  That's a tough AG.  I enjoyed meeting your dad and brother. 
2009-07-02 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas
Nice race! You are getting faster all the time. 10 minutes faster than IM NO 70.3 and on a tougher course.
Looking forward to more long training sessions with our Denton group. We'll all be sub 5 hours some day. For now we all just have to chase Johnny.
2009-07-02 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
HA! Hey, all triathletes put in the details of food consumption and bowel movements/peeing in their RR's. It's just what we do.

Great race out there! That's awesome that your Dad was on the course! FUN!

Shoulds like you had a really nice challenging race.
2009-07-03 10:35 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Sounds like you had a good race.  Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed