General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and motivated in Missouri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-06 3:00 PM

Subject: New and motivated in Missouri
Hi!  My name is Alana and I have finally decided to go for it and try my first Sprint Tri.  I have been looking at me events in my state and have found I will probably have to wait till next Spring unless I want to go out of state.  I am very new and I have not been  physically active since before my son was born in 2002.  Prior to that I was very active and athletic.  Now I am sluggish about 30lbs overweight, bored and tired of feeling tired! I decided my son needed a more healthy role model and needed to feel better about myself at the same time.  I work in a busy ER and I am seeing younger and younger people on multiple medications, having serious health problems and even dying all as a result of their habitual inactivity and prro diets.  I did not want this for myself.  I have started walking/running on my own and riding my mtn bike (already lost 8lbs) but have found I need a bit more guidance.  I have looked at the training plans and a bit intimidated by the job of choosing the correct one.  I work 12 hour shifts 3-4 days a week and I know I can get myself up to run those days but pool and bike workouts would be more difficult due to the pool hours and the fact it can pitch dark out when I get up or get home depending on the season.  I know there are others out there that work crazy hours and are doing it and I refuse to let my job get in the way...any tips or ideas???

2009-07-06 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2265431

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
Subject: RE: New and motivated in Missouri
Welcome to BT Alana!!!!
2009-07-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2265592

Thanks for the welcome!
2009-07-09 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2272945

User image

Get yourself a spinner and another rear wheel with a smooth tire on it for your bike workouts. I have a little one as well and have to do my bike workouts during the week on the spinner before she gets up and do my long rides outside on the weekends when my wife can stay with the kid. I actually enjoy spinning, helps me concentrate on maintaining a high cadence. And our local high school has open swim in the mornings from 6 - 7:30 for a buck, maybe yours does as well.
2009-07-22 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2272984

Thanks for the advice!  I had plannedto get something like that for indoors over the winter but hadn't thought of it for just regular training.  Hope to have a new bike in about 2 weeks!!!  I am SO excited!
Found out the college has open swim at the pool and since I am a previous student...no fees!
Thanks!
Alana
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and motivated in Missouri Rss Feed