General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brooklyn Red Hook Rec Center Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-10 1:11 PM

Subject: Brooklyn Red Hook Rec Center Swimming
Has anyone ever gone to the Red Hook Rec Center in Brooklyn for lap swimming?  It just opened for the summer and has lap swimming hours, but I wanted to know if it got crowded or not.  The problem I have with the rec center I normally go to is that lap swimming can get incredibly crowded.  Red Hook isn't too far from me and I'd love to go there in the mornings if it isn't too bad.

2009-07-13 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2276559

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Brooklyn Red Hook Rec Center Swimming
I live near there too and am also curious about this. I haven't been yet so don't know. I'm wondering if early a.m. would be better. I have a pool but outdoor is so nice. Do you know the length of it? It looks big in the photos.
2009-07-13 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2276559

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
Probably better off checking it out for yourself at  the time you would like to go. I personally have never been there although i used to work nearby. Good Luck !!

2009-07-14 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2281276

I checked the pool out tonight.  It was nice - crowded but not terrible.  I never felt like I had to adjust my workout because of the number of other people.  The pool is huge so you swim the width (just under 40 meters) and not the length.  They have about 1/3 of the pool open for lap swimming.

The thing that struck me as odd (maybe because I'm such a beginner and haven't been to many pools) is that they don't have lane ropes.  Instead they have the black lines on the bottom and those act as the boundaries of each lane instead of the middle, so you stay between the black lines, swimming on the right.  Took me a few laps to figure that out.  The "lanes" are pretty wide.

I read that it's possible to swim laps during their normal hours without too many interruptions, but they have designated lap swimming hours weekdays 7-8:30 (AM and PM).

So there you go.  It was nice to mix things up and go to a different pool.  My normal pool is only 25 yards, so it was great to be able to swim 40 meters without getting to the wall and be outside.  I'd recommend checking it out if you're close by.

Make sure you read the rules as city pools and rec centers are notoriously strict (although they seemed a little more relaxed here than at double D pool or Chelsea rec center).

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_things_to_do/facilities/af_pool_rules.html
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brooklyn Red Hook Rec Center Swimming Rss Feed