Roswell, New Mexico
United States
Bottomless Lake State Park
Total Time = 1h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I camped at the lake. Usually it's really nice and I just sleep in the bakc of my truck with the windows open This year it was very warm, but the mosquitos were fierce. Long story short, even under my sheet they were biting through. It didnt' cool off till 3 am. When I could pull up the little light blanket that they could not bite through I finally went to sellp. Up at 6:15, stretch, shower, eat orange, yogurt, frosted miniwheats. air up tires and drive the 1/8 mile over to race venue
Event warmup:

Unload, set up transition. walk through both transitions, walk around and visit. Short jog out onto the road to warm up achilies. Put on wetsuit. It was already getting warm in the sun.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 437 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I was real plaesed with my pacing and effort, and happy to get a chance to practice drafting. All three guys I drafted behind swam straight.
What would you do differently?:

Get behind the fast guys and catch a draft right away.
Practice swimming faster.
I read that darn thread about what it takes to Kona qualify, and he said 1:30/100 is the pace you need, now I've got that darn thing stuck in my head. Uh-oh!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Suit came off quick, glasses on, helmet on, shoes - forgot to open beforehand, lost a couple of seconds, and for just a second or two I forgot that I was going to go fast. Pretty good T1, ran the bike out to the mount line. Waited just a second on congestion in front of me, mounted and off we went.

Focus. Practice a time or two.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 7.46 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

It's possible that I ride just a bit too far inside my comfort zone. I'm pleased with my ride. I'm not sure I could have ridden harder and not blown up. I did flirt with that line. A little too hard, then back off, over and over.

Continue to work on sprints.
Find opportunities to ride hills.
Continue to chase the fast guys on Wed. AND learn to ride at harder breathing levels.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Pretty quick, although I forgot that I like to leave the run belt for last and just carry it out of T2 to put on while running, so I messed with moving it. Grabbed the extra rinse off water bottle and soaked myself before heading out. --good move because they were out of cups at the water station leaving T2

Stet up transition with run belt on the bottom.
Run
  • 22m
  • 2.49 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Except for two very short runs this week I have not run in the past 6 weeks. Achiles have been very sore ,but healing. So my plan was to take it kind of easy. walk / run. I have trouble walking out of t2. At about 1 minute I walked for 30 seconds. At 3 min I walked for 30 seconds. other than that I took it kind of easy focusing on short stride for the first half. continued to catch and pass the slower women. It's nice to have company on the course that is not passing you. two cups of water at the aide station, one for drinking one for wetting body. Two cups at turn around - wet hat as well. That really helps. I ran with a lady who's shoe was untied. Upped the effort on the return. I had to walk once on the fourth 1/4 because my achilies started hurting a little and I don't want to damage it. It felt better and on I went. Upped the pace a little almost to sprint (for me) in the last 1/4 mile. I had a little too much left at the end, but at least I did not hurt the achilies.

Get a drink at the end of the bike so I don't need the first water station. Train running more. Don't overtrain running and hurt achilies in the first place?
Post race
Warm down:

drink, eat watermellon. walk to car and get recovery drink. New Endurox Chocolate, with ice in it YUM! Wander around a bit Take the wetsuit over to the showers and rinse it off. Rinse myself. Move stuff to car from Transition. Ice achilies, Shower again. ice more, Wander around and visit and drink another water bottle of 1/2 Gatoraide. Wait for awards-- 3rd in AG!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

no run training due to achilies injury, and caution about run do to the injury. Need more hill climbing on the bike as well.

Event comments:

I love this race for the venue and the wonderful people running it. After the race there's lots of comraderie, and you can go swim in the lovely lake. Except for awards there are no post race activities. A very fun little race, and the run was just right for a "long" run coming back from injury.

Race is FREE for all competitors under 18 years of age! Great family venue.

Last updated: 2009-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 437 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Swim plus bike plus T1 38.26. I forgot to push the button when I came out of the water. no official times posted yet
Suit: Promotion full suit
Course: out and back, nice big orange bouies at both ends. This is my favorite OWS venue, with the possible exception of Florida. The water is clear and cool. I often swim without the wetsuit, it's usually very nice. The last time I swam here was in early March, and the water was... Bracing. So much so that you think you're not going to be able to breath. I might have skipped the wetsuit, except I already had it on before I tried the water. The first wave was all women, I was in the second wave "old guys" I positioned myself so I did not run as far as the serious guys. I don't like running barefoot across rocky bottoms. Why should I hurt myself to gain a few seconds? Great swim. The field spread out by about 50 yards or so. I swam solo for a while, caught a draft for a while, but then decided the guy was too slow. By midway I had passed several of the slower swimmers women. Made the turn a little wide and headed back. Sighting was very good and I swam very straight. 30 or so yards in I caught another pair of feet for a while. Dropped off to test pace and decided that I could work twice as hard or draft, which I did for a little while. Passed that guy and at about 100 yards left a guy passed me and I dropped in behind him and swam easy to the finish. Effort level was just right. solid, but not too hard, rhytm and timing and breathing all easy. Tempo pace.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 07.46 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
my bike computer did not start right away said average speed 18 mph max 36mph. Distance 7.6 miles, so I must have gotten it going just out of T1. I was out of breath right away. I need to learn to not sprint off the start line. The first hill comes pretty much right away and I wanted to spin it kind of easy. I only got half way to kind of easy, and was breathing pretty hard going up. I stood up shifted and stood up at about 1/2 way where it gets steeper. I wanted to try that walk it up/stair climbing thing. Worked well,but quads were tired afterward. It's a fairly bumpy road, but mostly I stayed in aero, and pushed it at a tempo pace. PASSED lots of the slower women. I never pass anyone. Said something encouraging to everyone. Got passed myself in the first few miles by the faster guys in my group. After that it's flat to rolling, and I continued to make good time. Not passed by any guys. The downhills are fun dropping back down into the valley. Then heartbreak hill, It should be flat down in the valley but there is one more good short climb. It takes you all the way from big ring to smallest ring lowest gear, then standing up. I felt stronger on that hill this time than ever before. Quite out of breath on the down hill side of it, then it's generally up hill to flat to the finish. near the end a couple more guys passed me. At the end of the bike you go opposite to the run course, and it was fun to see the fastest guys and girls heading out. Into the wind on the coming in leg. Glad I had the TT bike with aero bars. Good exercise in balance staying in aero on the bumpy road. I was real happy with the high speed downhill turns at the far end of the loop. A little scarey, but I just stood in the peddles a little and stayed aero.
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:00 | 02.49 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
time by my watch. If that's anywhere close to correct it's a very good pace for me. Official times not up yet.
Course: Out and back on asphalt road. Flat. It's fun to see the other runners while going out and back. I was excited to be on the run course before the winners finished!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes