World Triathlon Corporation
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 24m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:20 a.m. Woke up before the alarm clock. Bowl of oatmeal, some Red Bull and double check my bag of gear. Father-in-law gave me a ride down to Narrangansett from where we were staying in Newport. Awfully thoughtful gesture considering we left at 4:15 a.m.
Event warmup:

Bike transition set-up. Used the facilities. And basically stood on the beach watching the surf for about 45 minutes. Warm-up literally included standing in the water because it was cold on the beach (with the wind) and it was warmer in the water.

Warmup lasted longer then anticipated b/c the race was delayed 35 minutes due to a overnight storm blowing away a portion of the swim course.
Swim
  • 40m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Whoa. Who knew that I had no clue how to do an Ocean OWS. :)

Not me, else I would have been a little nervous (like I should have been). I was, pun intended, a fish out of water. I drank my body weight in salt water and never found a rhythum. Every time I tried to get into a rhythum, I would realize I had no idea where I was swimming and when I tried to settle into bi-lateral breathing (my fastest form), I would consume a little more salt water.

We were missing a middle buoy on the out swim. In the chop, I sighted a few times and couldn't see anything - including not being able to see a buoy. So I just would find swim caps and follow the direction of swim caps.

My favorite "oh no!" moment was when I tried to get into a routine of bi-lateral breathing, I swam for a few minutes and then stopped to sight. Upon looking up, holy sh-t!, everyone was swimming right at me. I had swum m-f-ing backwards against the course.

Anyway, my hours in the pool paid off. I was in total chaos, but I just focused on my swim. I would focus on my form, and that gave me something to think about and not "YOU'RE GOING TO DROWN!"

I found a new mantra and started repeating it to myself. I was "living life buoy to buoy." I kept telling myself that and all I was doing was swimming to the next buoy. Eventually, I ran out of yellow buoys, hit a red buoy and then a bunch of orange buoys.

I didn't check my watch. I didn't care about time. I just swam. I had originally hoped my swim time to be in the 40 minute range and was OVERJOYED to see myself exit the water at 40:35.

Time disparity from my official IM timing is that I hit my watch upon getting out of the water, but the T1 time didn't technically start until I hit the transition.
Transition 1
  • 05m 51s
Comments:

A little hectic for me. Was still reeling from swim. Found bike. Wasn't in any real hurry. Plus, we had to pack up our swim gear and put everything into a bag to be left. So you had to not only unpack your bike bag, dress and then re-pack your swim gear.

Overall, very happy with my transition.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr
Comments:

First 20 miles were AWESOME. Flat with a kick-azz tailwind. I hit the 5 mile marker in 15:12 and almost fell off my bike. I was just under a 20 mph pace. I actually got up over that average pace at the 15 mile mark and hit 20 miles in 1:01.

Course went from flat to rollers. I confess, I've been training on some many hills that these rollers were actually a lot of fun. It was only after about 25 miles that I finally got into my small chain ring.

I had a lot of people fly by me, but I did pass some people. Then again, I was peddling hard and wanted to be around 3 hours, but I wasn't cranking in lactic threshold pain. I was (and kinda ashamed to admit this) was just out having a great time, enjoying the bike ride and enjoying myself.

I realized I could have put my head down and peddled as hard as possible, cutting off 5-10 minutes on my time. But I decided I would rather have a great memory of enjoying the event compared with some time. I was competing against the distance, not the clock.

The rollers did get hairy at times, with some real climbers. Got out of the seat on occasion.

The last 15 miles were really hairy. We were looping around city streets and fighting a lot of traffic. About mile 50, due to traffic, a fellow rider swerved to miss a car, swerved back and clipped a telephone pole - right in front of me. He went flying, I locked my brakes up and missed him and his bike by about 6 inches. By the time I stopped and unclipped, he was up, collecting his bike and saying he was alright.

And when I thought it was finally over, there was a final hidden climb to get to the transition, which about killed me. Thankfully I saw it at the last minute, dropped to the right gear and didn't keel over.

Couldn't have been happier with a bike time right around 3 hours.
Transition 2
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

I have no recollection of T2. Not being funny here. All I remember is that when I got off my bike, I couldn't find my number to hang my bike.

Next thing I realized, I was running down the hill from T2.

Run
  • 2h 30m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

So this is where, literally, the rubber (soles) meet the road. It all comes down to the run.

I had 2 options. One - I could forego all reason and sanity and push myself beyond what I would consider safe and run for a 2 hour half mary. Option one would give me a total time under 6 hours.

Option two, I could walk / run and shoot for 11 minute miles, putting me under 6:30.

I decided on option two. I had decided before this race even started I wanted to have nothing but amazing memories. Also, I was pretty gassed from the last half of the bike portion. I walked the first portion of the run until after College Hill. My tummy was all messed up and I was definitely in need of some serious liquid action.

From there, I settled into a very comfortable walk/run campaign. I really had no rhyme or reason, just would run for a while and walk for a while. Eventually, I just ran downhills, walked uphills and alternated on flat sections.

I kept an eye on the watch and really kept to my pacing 11 minute miles on the first loop and getting closer to 12 minute miles on the second loop.

I knew I was going to finish under 6:30. That was perfectly acceptable to me. I also knew I was right around 2:30 for the half mary, again perfectly acceptable.

I raced the distance and won.

In a great moment, my wife, two sons and in-laws drove up to Providence to catch the end of the run portion. As I was rounding the final turn to make the last stretch to the finish, I caught all of them watching. Went over, hugged both boys, kissed the Mrs. and then finished strong.
Post race
Warm down:

Found gear. Ate a slice of pizza. Drank oodles of water.

Event comments:

Once in a lifetime event. And by that I mean, once in my life time doing a 70.3 or Ironman event.

I truly enjoyed it and I'm glad I did it. I conquered the distance.

But, I just have no desire to do another event of this length. The sacrifice to my family was worth it - this time. But the sacrifice for more training, to me, isn't worth it. I put in the time to train, I raced the distance, and in the end - I now know I'd rather do shorter races and spend more time with my family. But I had to race this distance to know this for myself.

Truly a day that will live with me forever.

Last updated: 2008-10-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:39 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: About .55 miles out, slight turn and back in. Since one of the turn buoys was blown away, we turned left at the last available out (yellow) buoy.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:51
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:04:07 | 56 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:28
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:30:53 | 13.1 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-07-13 3:10 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

2009-07-13 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2281971

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

Congrats and thanks for the report!  I have to say, almost to a "T", your report encompasses my experience (sighting issues on the swim, debates about whether to push it more on the bike, the whole run/walk discussion with myself) at this race and feelings afterwards as well. 

I was just proud to say I finished (okay, okay, beating 6 hours would have been nice too), and feel lucky that I had the understanding and support of my wife and kids to go out and try this.  But to do this distance better would require more dedication and time than I have -- and, like you, I am not ashamed to say it.  It was a great challenge, and through it I learned things about myself that will help me improve my times at my next Olympic distance tri or half marathon.

Thanks again for posting this.

2009-07-13 6:42 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Great report, thanks so much for sharing your experience. I love your attitude through every step of the race, it's what the sport is about and so easy to lose sight of. Your swim story about going the wrong way is crazy! I got turned around too, but not like that! Congrats to you for achieving your goal and enjoy the memories. It sounds like it was everything you wanted!
2009-07-13 8:58 PM

User image

Elite

Awesome race. Congrats. Swimming backwards ouch...my sighting was off as well. The few times I have ridden outside this year, have been very hilly, so I did not think it was that bad either.

2009-07-13 10:13 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Great job out there. It was cool running into you on the run course. Glad you had a good time and have some good memories to take away. That bike crash sounds scary. Glad I didn't see it--it would have messed with my head for the rest of the race.
2009-07-14 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Dude you are a rock star! When did you get so fast in the water and on the bike?! Who knew two or three years ago that you were going to do a Half Ironman triathlon? Great job!!

2009-07-14 11:38 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Funny and great race report, congrats on your 70.3 finish!
2009-07-14 11:47 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Awesome job and congratulations!  I laughed when I read about the swimming backwards, I cried a little when read about all the hill practice you've been doing (cause I know I'll have to do the same when I live up there), and it moved me when you talked about how great it was and seeing the whole family at the end. There you go: I laughed, I cried (okay, not really), you moved me...Great race and great report!
2009-07-14 1:40 PM

Uxbridge

Great race report. Congrats on completing your goals. I admire your attitude!

2009-07-14 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,

Yay!  Tim!   Great job!  What a great way to not be overrun by other swimmers.....swim against them.   Great job keeping your head and enjoying the day. WHooohooo!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island Rss Feed