High Five Events/Jack and Adams
HOT!F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 57s
Overall Rank = 102/941
Age Group = Relatives 80-99
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 4:30 and headed right out the door. On the way to the race site I ate a banana and drank an ensure. I also started drinking some accelerade.
Event warmup:

None, Our wave was 40 minutes after the start. A swim warmup would not have helped. I guess I could have run a little....
Swim
  • 16m 41s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim start was a little crazy. Our wave was not too big but I gotta say that there was more contact on this swim start than any other Tri I've done. It seemed like I could not get away from people swimming on top of me, into me etc. etc. I ended up swimming out to the left away from the bunch and sprinting in front of a lot of people. This gassed me a little bit for the rest of the swim though. After getting away from the group I was able to swim better, with the exception of a few times where swimmers ran into me (or me into them) and I stopped swimming and came up.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure what I could have done. I'll have to come up with some strategy to deal with this better in the future.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

I placed my (spare/dry) shoes at the swim exit because there were tons of little thorny stickers on the ground. The run from the water to transition is probably a couple hundred yards so I ran in my shoes to prevent getting stickers in my feet. I stepped on quite a few anyways running out of tranition and they sure don't feel great.
Bike
  • 32m 30s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 20.68 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind seemed to pick up quite a bit and gust pretty hard at points. I could really feel the gusts from the side with my rear disc cover. I rode a very hilly route the day before so my legs were not fresh at all. I was still sore in the morning. I think I could have done a lot better with fresh legs. I felt pretty good though all in all. I did not get passed at all on the bike. :)

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I stepped on a few more stickers back to my transition area and I knew it would suck for the run. T2 went pretty quick though.

Nothing
Run
  • 25m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I could have and should have pushed the pace harder. I lost mental focus, I kept thinking about the pain in my feet. (when I got home I hade to pull 10+ little thorns out of my feet) Anyways, the last 1/4 right after the hill I snapped to and sprinted the last bit. A guy tried to pace with me but I out-kicked him, which was a lot of fun.

Run in my bike shoes to keep from getting thorny stickers in my feet.
Post race
Warm down:

As I came across the finish I saw my family walking up. My wife, daughter, brother and his family all came out to watch. I grabbed a water and a cool town which felt great. We all went back down the course a little to wait for my dad. Once he came in we got some food and sat uder a shade tree. We stuck around for the awards hoping we placed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training through the race and lack of focus.

Event comments:

Great race and eventhough I got my feet poked I had a great time. It was really cool to race with my dad and to have my family there. Especially since we made the podium. :)

Last updated: 2009-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:41 | 800 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 226/941
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: U shaped course. Very easy to navigate and very friendly for first timers.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:30 | 11.2 miles | 20.68 mile/hr
Overall: 56/941
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Bike course was somewhat hilly but a nice course. There was one hill in particular where I saw several people walking their bikes up.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:31 | 03.11 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 184/941
Performance: Below average
Course: The course is all inside the park, mostly on grass and trails. Not much shade and it was hot. There is a long hill right before the finish. Most of the course is either up or down hill. No flat areas.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-13 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
Subject: The Couple's Triathlon

2009-07-14 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2282492

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: The Couple's Triathlon
Awesome race man! Congrats on the podium!
2009-07-14 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2282492

New user

Subject: RE: The Couple's Triathlon
great race alex, it was awesome to see you come across the finish line. You really kicked out there, you and dad taking the podium was awesome. maybe next year me and you can compete together and take first. Oh yeah!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Couple's Triathlon Rss Feed