General Discussion Race Reports! » Inter-Rockin Music Fest Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inter-Rockin Music Fest Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Interlochen, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 30s
Overall Rank = 116/134
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

This morning was a true test as to what I will attempt at Steelhead. I woke up a 5am and loaded my car with my gear and then had a granola bar with some gatorade. I also drank about 20 oz of water and continued sipping water thru the rest of the morning. I arrived 2 hours to start time and got a great spot on the rack. Set up transition and made several trips to the potty. I wandered around and chatted with friends and checked out some shiny bikes. 1/2 hour to start time I had a gu and 8oz of water. I hoped this would work this time...
Event warmup:

I got some help putting on my wetsuit as the extra set of hands to help slide the arms up helps with my shoulder mobility - Duh! I didn't get as much of a swim warmup as i had hoped because of the pre-race meeting. Now it was time to settle the nerves. My previous races have had disastrous swims - I hoped this one would be different. I had practiced OWS several times in the past couple weeks and I knew I was capable of having a steady and strong swim - for me.
Swim
  • 35m 2s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I finally had what I would consider a good swim in a race. I started out near the back and to the side of my wave and started at a slow steady pace and picked up when I was warmed up. Then I started passing people! That has never happened to me before! I drafted a little but I found I passed those few women because they were going slower then what I had wanted to. I managed to stay within the "pack" for the majority of the race. I was feeling awesome! I didn't need to flip on my back and regroup. I didn't need to stop and catch my breath. Bilat breathing worked great. I did feel the current a bit while heading back in to shore and did get a couple moutfulls of water while getting caught up in the sprint waves but managed to keep my rhythm and focus and get the job done. I have never seen this many spectators left at the swim exit when I leave the water!
What would you do differently?:

Not a darn thing!
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

I took my wetsuit off in ankle deep water as i've found my T1 times are better when I do. My wetsuit slides off SO MUCH FASTER when wet. then I just carry it to transition. I hosed my feet with a water bottle and slid on my socks and shoes. I did notice I was taking my time a little more than what I normally do but my time is average campared to everyone else.

I could save a couple extra seconds by not weraing socks but nothing really. Helmet, race numberbelt, and sunglasses all went on easy.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.06 mile/hr
Comments:

A decent bike for me. I was able to maintain a good pace for me and I was able to stay aero for a good portion of it. That is until I wished I had remembered lube for my ummm....girlie parts. By the time I hit mile 18 I felt like my crotch was on fire. I;m sure I looked funny riding a couple hundred yards sitting up with my legs as wide as I could get them. Everything else was good. The one small hill on the course was easy to get over and even more fun on the way back.

I could have pushed a little harder but I'm not sure how that would have reflected in my run time. Regardless, I am happy with my bike performance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

I walked my bike though T2. Not sure why but today my transition just felt like a short little break. Still, I had the best T2 time in my AG.

Jog my bike to the rack, learn to leave my shoes on my bike. Nothing major.
Run
  • 1h 07m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt strong right fromthe start of the run. I got to mile 1 faster and easier than I had expected and wanted to pick up the pace but again I had the thought of that hill in my head and I wanted to save my energy to be able to run the hill - which I did. Once I got to the turnaround at the top, I let loose. I picked up my pace and still felt good. I passed a couple people (a first for me in most running races). At mile 4 I started getting really hungry so I grabbed some Heed from the aid station and learned that taste does NOT agree with me. I dumped the rest of that cup and just had more water. Mile 5 had my legs feeling ready to slow but I knew I could keep going until the end and finsh strong. The last 1/2 mile I picked up my pace and was feeling good. I could hear the spectators and announcers voice. The short trail portion flew by me and the campers were cheering me on. I felt GREAT!

Pretty much only carry a gu with me for the run. I didn't think I would get that hungry during the run when I had a gu in the last 5 miles of the bike. Oh, and don't drink the Heed.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, food, hugs, and socialize with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My brain. My body felt good enough to be able to push harder but my brain kept saying "save some energy for what's next"....

Event comments:

Overall, I can say this was my best race performance to date! I crossed the finsh line with a smile on my face. I had completed all 3 legs with my best performances and times and although I could have pushed a little harder I have no regrets about this race. I am on a high and I feel like this was a great B race warm up for Steelhead! Bring it on!

Last updated: 2009-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:02 | 1500 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 113/134
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Hydrofull
Course: Clockwise triangle. The course was well marked and the buoys were easy to see, and securely anchored this year, which helped. In water start, where anyone taller than me could touch ground, slight current pushing out.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:33 | 24.85 miles | 18.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 112/134
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back pretty much flat course. There was a slight headwind on the way out with a couple gusts but nothing to really talk about.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:07:25 | 06.21 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 117/134
Course: Flat out and back with some trail and one MAJOR hill at the turnaround. Mostly shady except the road with the hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-07-13 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Subject: Inter-Rockin Music Fest Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inter-Rockin Music Fest Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed