General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run/walk training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-14 8:03 PM

Regular
Subject: Run/walk training?
    In reading my Going Long book, I was reading the part talking about run/walk training to increase distance.  My question is, do you have to? Right now I am running up to 10 miles in 1:30 or less and feel good when I am done and not needing more than 12 hours to recover.  At this second I am training for the Olympic distance but am looking at a 1/2 next spring.  I am sure I could go run 13.1 mile right now but fighting the thought trying to train smarter not harder.   I would like to be able to run the whole 13.1 in the race even if it is a 10+ min mile.  How long should my long runs be 13.1, 15, or 20 miles? And if I am feeling good on a BT run should I walk even if I am feeling good.  Last note I am a big guy, I am an x-football player at 6’ 210, with a dad/x-triathlete marine who had to have a hip replacement at 49 due to the abuse he put his body through when he was younger.  So I am being extra careful when running trying to avoid a pounding injury.   Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

2009-07-14 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2285656

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Run/walk training?
If you're already running 10 miles in sub-90 minutes, there's no good reason to switch to a run/walk approach.  Please don't drink the "run/walk" Kool-Aid if--as you say--you are feeling good just running.  Just keep doing what you're doing...it appears to be working for you.

By the same token, there's no real reason to push your long runs to more than 14 or 15 miles if what you are pointing towards is an HIM (you could certainly even stop short of that, if you feel any concern about injury).  Clearly, you've got plenty of time to work up to that sort of distance (at 10% additional miles per week, even with recovery weeks, you'd be there late next month if you wanted to be).  You sound like you are in a position to both build toward that sort of long run and also start to build in a bit more intensity to your shorter workouts.

Edit to add:  You can certainly incorporate walking rests into interval workouts...that's different from what people usually are talking about when discussing planned run/walk strategies (and from what you seem to be referring to...but I wanted to put that out there just to be clear).

Edited by tcovert 2009-07-14 8:52 PM
2009-07-15 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2285755

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
tcovert - 2009-07-14 9:50 PM

If you're already running 10 miles in sub-90 minutes, there's no good reason to switch to a run/walk approach.  Please don't drink the "run/walk" Kool-Aid if--as you say--you are feeling good just running.  Just keep doing what you're doing...it appears to be working for you.

By the same token, there's no real reason to push your long runs to more than 14 or 15 miles if what you are pointing towards is an HIM (you could certainly even stop short of that, if you feel any concern about injury).  Clearly, you've got plenty of time to work up to that sort of distance (at 10% additional miles per week, even with recovery weeks, you'd be there late next month if you wanted to be).  You sound like you are in a position to both build toward that sort of long run and also start to build in a bit more intensity to your shorter workouts.

Edit to add:  You can certainly incorporate walking rests into interval workouts...that's different from what people usually are talking about when discussing planned run/walk strategies (and from what you seem to be referring to...but I wanted to put that out there just to be clear).

2X on this. If you were looking for an ultra (50+ Miles) then run/walk would be a good place to start now for next spring. but a HIM, dude, if you are running 10 miles non stop you are good to go. I am a big guy too and will only walk an aid station as needed.
2009-07-16 11:12 PM

Veteran
Boston
Kudos on the restraint - you are stronger than me.

As for the book - these authors are nodoubtedly smart, but you have to remember that everyone's body is different. Pay attention to your body, and don't increase too much too fast (e.g. I personally wouldn't go from a long run of 10 miles to one of 15 miles after only one week, but again, everyone is different and I have a history of getting injured). But 10 to 13 is do able I think - just be sure to listen to your body!

Also icing afterwards never hurt anybody, so if you have access to that (or an ice bath) that always does wonders for preventing injuries, at least for me.
2009-07-16 11:33 PM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
I agree with the above. For IM I tried to run everything but the aid stations... I tend to do this with a few marathon stations as well. The water stations can get CRAZY!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run/walk training? Rss Feed