General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunset Challenge Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sunset Challenge Triathlon - Olympic - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bridgeton, New Jersey
United States
Lin-Mark
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 58s
Overall Rank = 45/90
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 15 minutes before my alarm, can you tell I was excited about this race. Put some peanut butter on toast, grabbed a Gatorade and was on my way. Ate on the way to the race, which was about a 45 minute ride. Got there and got my stuff, then had to ride my bike down to the start/transition.
Event warmup:

Set up transition (you racked by bib number, kinda cool) and then took a quick warm-up swim. Felt good, a little rushed with my breathing but it was a good idea to get out there. Warm was clean and warm, no wetsuits allowed. This really didn't bother me since I've only worn it twice in a race, both times in the ocean.
Swim
  • 26m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

FINALLY!! Best triathlon swim for me.

Did well the first 200, and kept it consistent. Wanted to focus on my breathing during the first lap and then see what happens on the second. Had to battle some mental demons during the first loop, but quickly recovered by focusing on the positive. Instead of thinking I was going too fast and was going to run out of gas I forced myself to think about the positive and concentrate on the fact that I was doing really well. Started the second loop and got into a great rhythm. Second loop went well and I just kept at it to the beach. As we got closer, noticed some guys were already standing up but I decided to keep swimming until my hand hit the ground. Was able to pop up and ran past those guys to the mat.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out how to draft. Tried to but I kept swimming up on the guy in front of me, so I decided to get off his feet and swim past him. I think I pull to the right so I need to do better about sighting and making sure I'm not too far off course. Didn't happen today but on the first loop I was off to the right a bit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Good transition. Kind of a longish run to the rack but it went well. Took a couple of seconds to snap my Garmin in. POA.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 31s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Working on this. Just need to ride more. Gearing changes were OK, but the bike needs a tune-up because they were skipping on me and it just wasn't smooth. Great bike course. Some flat parts, some hills, some rollers, really a lot of fun. Anyone who things Jersey is dirty or completely flat should come do this race. You will definitely change your mind. Just a really pretty ride. Got passed a bit at the start, did some passing of my own. The Oly course joined back up with the sprint and we all went into the finish together.

Ride more, get bike serviced before the race, ride more, ride at a higher cadence, ride more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Took me a few seconds to get the shoes on. Reminded myself to calm down and breath and it made it easier.

Get shoes on and not mess up the Garmin by hitting the start button. Basically screwed it up but by time I got to the mat I had fixed it and got it on the Run.
Run
  • 55m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Probably started out a bit too fast and just couldn't keep it up. Knew this was going to be my problem since I haven't run over 6 miles in a long time. Stil, very pleased with the run and really enjoyed the course, minus the hill that you go up twice.

More run training.
Post race
Warm down:

Found a port-o-john because I had to pee since I bascially started the run. Got my stuff together and walked back to the parking lot. Packed up the car and went over to the post-race spread/awards. Great pasta salad, blueberries, and of course Tastykakes!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hate to say it but lack of training, that said, had a great race and really loved the course. Will be back to do this again.

Event comments:

Major accomplishment today was the swim. May not have been blazing, but it was consistent and ZERO breaststroking and I mean ZERO. I finally feel like I can legitimately call myself a triathlete.

Last updated: 2009-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:51 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 42/90
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: First time on a two loop course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:31 | 25 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Overall: 40/90
Wind: Some
Course: I think it was a big loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:00 | 06.21 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 59/90
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loops on a dirt path, asphalt, grass, course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-18 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington, NJ
Subject: Sunset Challenge Triathlon - Olympic

2009-07-18 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2293426

User image

Veteran
Barrington, NJ
Subject: RE: Sunset Challenge Triathlon - Olympic

The swim was .9K, not a full 1500. I am obviously not that fast. Forgot to change that in the RR.

Edited by kcav 2009-07-18 1:13 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunset Challenge Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed