General Discussion Race Reports! » 2009 Arizona Road Racers Summer Series #4 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2009 Arizona Road Racers Summer Series #4 - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Arizona Road Racers
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 25s
Overall Rank = 234/675
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 26/53
Pre-race routine:

I ate a couple of protein bars before leaving in the morning.
Event warmup:

I've never tried this before but since the race was only a few miles from the house, I decided to try riding my bike to the race. I got about two pedals from my driveway when I noticed my back tire was wobbling. It had been running a bit low the last few times I had gone riding but this time it was completely flat. I figured that I'd try to pump it up and if that didn't work then I'd just drive to the race. A while back I'd gotten one of those quick inflate CO2 cartridges. Even though my pump was just inside the garage, I decided to give the CO2 a try. I thought that it was better to try it now than during a race. Worked great. I never realized the heads of those things get so cold when you are filling up your tire. I guess it makes sense but I just hadn't thought about it before. I got to the race a half hour early, locked up my bike and stretched a bit. While I was doing some warm up jogging, I took my Acel-Gel with some Gatorade. I also did some pickups (strides?) while I was warming up.
Run
  • 23m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't feel great for this run. I had been doing more longer runs recently. I had also been doing some shorter runs but since they were in the middle of the day and hot, I was taking them slower just trying to focus on staying hydrated and not overheating. I didn't feel like I had a lot of speed coming into this race. I think that played against me mentally because I started feeling tired very early on (around mile 1). There was nothing too particularly challenging about the course. It had some hills but they were fairly small.
Before the race started, they kept mentioning that the first 30-40 meters of the course was on grass that was very wet. They suggested running to the left side of the course as it was not as bad but of course where did I end up? Right in the middle of a puddle probably 6 feet from the end of the grass. Besides being a bit soggy for a few steps, I didn't notice it after that. I was running with the guy back and forth for about the last half of the race. The last quarter mile or so he had gotten in front of me but I turned on my kick and I was catching up fast. I caught him right as we were coming up on the finish line but I slowed down a bit so that he could cross first. So the guy was a kid that was only 8 years old. I don't know how a kid can run that fast (there were others too) but I thought that he had put up such a strong showing that he deserved to place in front of me. He came in 12 places behind me with a 7:37 pace. Kids are amazing.
What would you do differently?:

More speed work. I was wanting to run some longer distances since my tri in early June and I did but I think that took the edge off my speed for this 5k.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, did a slow jog, eat a bit and hydrated.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed work training.

Event comments:

Nice low key race that is close to home. Last year and so far this year it is the only 5k stand alone run that I do.

Out of Male runners, I was 195/406.

Last updated: 2009-07-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:25 | 03.11 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/53
Overall: 0/675
Performance: Good
mile 1 - 7:22.77 - 176 mile 2 - 7:32.80 - 182 mile 3 - 7:49.52 - 183 last .2 - 0:39.62 - 191 Avg per mile pace 7:32
Course: Kind of a modified figure eight pattern then went around a lake on the north end and a small field (baseball) on the south end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-18 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
Mesa, AZ
Subject: 2009 Arizona Road Racers Summer Series #4
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2009 Arizona Road Racers Summer Series #4 Rss Feed