General Discussion Race Reports! » Gravenhurst Duathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gravenhurst Duathlon - Sprint Distance - DuathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gravenhurst, Ontario
Canada
MultiSport Canada Inc.
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 44s
Overall Rank = 39/71
Age Group = Women 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Since this is my first time at this race site, I left very early for the 2hr drive and ended up getting there 1.5hr before race time. Had my usual McD coffee and muffin en route.
Event warmup:

Not much, a few strides. I kept my jacket on until 10' before race. Quite chilly, esp when the wind is blowing.
Run
  • 27m 31s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 30s  min/km
Comments:

I'm now used to these crazy fast duathletes / runners. Had to work hard just so I won't be last. According to the Garmin, the loop is actually longer than 5km, and my pace is actually 8:37. HR smack at Z4, avg 153.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Oh, this is bad. I probably ran too fast on the run, trying to keep up with these fast duathletes. I somehow couldn't clip in, lost my balance and almost fell. I stopped, put my feet on the ground, gathered myself and tried again. This time, I clipped in, but swerved, yelling "sorry, sorry" and probably gave other cyclists behind me some uneasy moments.
Bike
  • 42m 26s
  • 20 kms
  • 28.28 km/hr
Comments:

At the very beginning of the course, there were a series of uphill climbs. That and the mounting incident took me out of my rhythm. Not until I hit Muskoka Beach Rd did I start getting comfortable in the aero position, and then I started hammering and passing a lot of people. There were some steep hills that I had to use my smallest gear, but this is the first time I can remember passing people going uphill.
Turned out I have the third fastest bike split (of women). 2nd fastest split beat me by 12", which I probably lost because of the very poor bike mount.

Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I was wearing my new bike shoes and the cleats were not perfectly adjusted yet. Had to really twist my leg to unclip and got a little cramp in the leg afterwards. I came back to the transition and somebody had racked their bike at my spot! I had to carefully squeezed my bike in between other bikes so I don't knock all the bikes off the entire rack. Fortunately, cramp went away by that time.
Run
  • 13m 50s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 05m 32s  min/km
Comments:

Just ran as fast as I can. Nobody I passed on the bike passed me back. Very happy that my pace turned out to be very close to the first run.
Post race
Warm down:

Had planned to do some OWS practice after the race. Didn't pan out 'cos -
- was a bit tired afterwards,
- took off my contacts before I realize I forgot my prescription googles,
- a sign at the dock indicated that swimming is prohibited under the bylaw.

Event comments:

Typical duathon, ranking best in bike, worst in 1st run. My run, usually my strength, is not so much in a du. First place person in my AG ran sub 8, although I beat her bike my 1', she beat my run by 4'! Pretty happy I got 3rd fastest bike split of all women. OK, so there weren't a lot of women, ~30. That's still top 10%.
(PS - overall rank includes 43 men, wish they'd sort it properly to be women only)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-06-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:31 | 05 kms | 05m 30s  min/km
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 44/71
Performance: Average
First time I wore my Garmin for a race. The thing was hurting my wrist so I turned it to face the ground. I guess I usually wear long sleeve when training so it never bothered me.
Course: Rolling out-&-back course on North Muldrew Lake Rd.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:37
Overall: Below average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Bad
Biking
00:42:26 | 20 kms | 28.28 km/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 31/71
Performance: Good
The Garmin now keeps hitting the aerobar. I'm too nervous to take my hands off the handle or aerobar, after the mounting incident. Somehow, the Garmin "stop" button was hit, but I didn't know until the end of the race.
Wind: Little
Course: Long steady grades and a series of short & sharp rollers on Muskoka Beach Rd.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:13:50 | 02.5 kms | 05m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 37/71
Performance: Average
No more HR data, but I was running hard. Probably avg Z4/Z5, 150's.
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-19 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Gravenhurst Duathlon - Sprint Distance

2009-07-20 5:49 AM
in reply to: #2294912

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Gravenhurst Duathlon - Sprint Distance
Great race!  I've tried wearing my Garmin on the last two races and it's a joke.  I spend so much time fiddling with it instead of watching what I'm doing.  Yesterday I somehow clicked it and reset all the data on the run portion ?!  But again... CONGRATS!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gravenhurst Duathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed