Headfirst Performance
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 24m 43s
Overall Rank = 17 F/70 F
Age Group = 30-034
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early in the hotel. Ate breakfast. Met Mike downstairs and he followed Andy & I to race site. Set up my bike in transition between David & Jeremy (thanks for making room for me). The transition/bike rack was first come, first serve and not assigned spots or racks. Talked to Tammy, Jenn and the other BTers. I met Dave (rgr373). I also met a few people from the Cincy Express Tri Team.

There were only 3 port-a-potty by the transition & swim start are. This was not enough for the 300 race participants.
The weather was perfect. Low 70's and overcast.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 32m 43s
  • 2431 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Race officials announced the water was 78 degrees and wetsuit legal. On Friday, the water was 82. 3 waves at 5 minutes apart - men 39 & younger, men 40 and older, then women, clyds, aqua/bike, relay, and all others. Each wave started from treading water start. The water was very warm. Glad I did not wear a wetsuit - I would have been too warm. I started in the front 3rd of my wave. Crowded start, but it somewhat cleared out. Treading water for about 3 minutes helped me feel warmed up and I was able to find my pace fairly quickly. The course was well marked, but I had problems sighting. Not sure why. I could feel swimming against the current on the way out. It was a good swim. but I did get off course some due to sighting issues. Exit the water and then run along the side of transition to the entrance Swim time ends when enter transition.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Bike
  • 3h 01m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Much of the bike course is on the ironman Louisville bike course, including miles on 42 and the out & back on 1694. The course is hilly with lots of rollers and a few big hills. Very early in the ride, around mile 8 or so, a girl started drafting off of me. She was right on my tail for a few miles. I didn't want to get called for drafting and she was pissing me off. i finally slowed down and she then passed. A few miles later, I found my pace (it takes me a while) and I then passed her and others. I usually feel stronger after about 15-20 miles on the bike and this race was no different. There were some volunteers on the course and at most of the turns, however, not enough. The support was minimal. 2 water/Heed stops. No port-a-potty's. I stopped once during the bike to pee along side the road. I also had to stop and un-clip at 2 intersections and wait for traffic. There were no police at these intersections stopping traffic. This was a race & not a ride! They needed police and more volunteers at the turns and intersections to assist with traffic. The wind started to pick up the last half of the ride. It really made coming back in rough. A strong headwind and the hills really slowed down the pace. I did see Jenn and Tammy on the course! Tammy had the biggest smile on her face!!! It was great to see them out there. The last 5 miles or so of the bike course were on a very narrow, curvy, and steep downhill, road. I rode the brakes. Hubby said he saw lots of racers coming in bloody from crashing here. I was not happy with this section of the course. It was too dangerous for a race. I tried to push my pace and race hard. It was a tough ride with the hills and wind, but very good practice for Louisville IM.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Run
  • 1h 46m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Run out of Cardinal Harbour and to a 3 loop course. Most of the course was flat, but there were a few rolling hills. No port-a-potty's on the course. Glad I didn't have to pee! There were 2 support stops on the course. Pass one 3 times and the other 4 times. I like a loop course, but 3 times was a bit much. :-) It was nice to see people. I saw David, Jeremy, and Mike on the course. The cooler weather really helped. Kenny (Garrett's (Grit Nugget) friend - ) was volunteering at the stop we pass 4 times. He was great - cheering me on each time I passed. This was very helpful!! My ankle started hurting during the 3rd loop. My ankle was swelling from the infection and the open infection area started rubbing on my sock and shoe. I had the area wrapped, but of course it all came off during the swim. I was so happy to be done with that 3rd loop!! Kenny was yelling for me to keep up my pace to the finish. I was trying - I keep looking at the garmin to keep it under an 8:30 min mile. I saw Jenn starting her run as I was heading back. She looked like she was having a great day. Passing the Cardinal Harbour was mentally tough. I, and many others, thought we would turn back in there. Nope... keep running about about 2 miles down the road. By this point, My ankle road rash was really hurting. I was doing everything I could to keep a strong pace. Then, we turned off the road into the grass. This was then most difficult part of the run. Although, the grass had been cut, it was still too long. The ground was uneven and it would have been easy to turn a ankle. This was a very tough was to finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Packed up my gear in transition. Waited at the finish line for David, Jeremy, and Mike. We then headed to the Club house for food. They did have plenty of food. I jumped in the club house pool to cool off. Went back to the finish line to see Jenn and then Tammy finish. It was fun to see so many BTers finish the race.

Event comments:

I pushed myself hard on this race and am happy with the result. I enjoyed racing on a "practice course" for ironman Louisville. It is also fun to meet up with so many BTers. This race could be improved. The volunteer at packet pick up could not answer any questions about the race. They need to be informed. The race started late. The start time could be earlier. There were only 3 port-apotty's at transition and NONE on the entire course. The support on the bike course was minimal. More police and volunteers were needed. Despite the negative points about the race, is was fun. This is a great race to prepare for IM Louisville conditions! I had a good, fun race and a nice time meeting up with all the BTers.

Last updated: 2009-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:43 | 2431 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 0/70 F
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: Wetsuit legal (not sure how this was possible). 3 wave start. Square. Out about .6 mile and then back. Against the current out & with current back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:01:52 | 56 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Wind: Headwind
Course: Much of the course is on the ironman Kentucky bike course. Hilly and lots of rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:46:24 | 13.1 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Course: Run out of Cardinal Harbour and then on a 3 loop course. Then, back and pass Cardinal Harbour. Run about another 2 miles on the road. The last 3/4 to 1 mile was in grass. The grass had been cut, but needed to be shorter.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 6:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Cardinal Harbour Triathlon

2009-07-20 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2295298

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Cardinal Harbour Triathlon
Great Race Amy! I couldn't agree with your assessment of the race company more. It was a great day to race and great training for the big one next month. And a PR is always nice. Well done. You looked strong coming in off the bike and all during the run.
2009-07-20 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Ugh...sorry to hear about the crummy race directing...how annoying.  No portapotties on the course?

Amazing job though...I'm always impressed with your speediness!
2009-07-20 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
I'm so proud of you girl!  Way to push it in the end and finish strong!  You are going to OWN that sub-12 next month!
2009-07-21 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW! You are so fast! Great job! Congrats on 3rd in your AG!!!!!

2009-07-21 2:48 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Congrats on a great race!  No porta-potties for 70.3, that's insane!  3rd in your AG, AWESOME! 

2009-07-22 6:27 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
Great Job Amy! Was so great to finally meet ya!  See ya again in a couple weeks
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cardinal Harbour Triathlon Rss Feed