General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbon fiber bars....do I wrap them????? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-05 2:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Cypress, Tx
Subject: Carbon fiber bars....do I wrap them?????
I just got a new set of carbon fiber handlebars. These are standard ergo road bars....not aero.

These things have those cool finger shaped grips on the tops near the stem....am I supposed to wrap these with tape????

I would seem that the cork tape I plan on using wouldn't stay well with all those small curves.

I wear gloves so I really don't think I need the tape.....and the bars look so cool....does anyone have pics of bars like this on a bike???

here's the bars
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Ma...

2005-05-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: #152873

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Subject: RE: Carbon fiber bars....do I wrap them?????
Those are some cool looking bars!

Not sure the answer to your question. You could try riding without them and see how it feels w/o tape. Would you be racing tris with this set-up? Just curious, because, at least for shorter distances most people don't wear gloves. I'm guessing no gloves and no tape might not be too comfortable.
2005-05-07 9:39 AM

Veteran
Swindon
Subject: RE: Carbon fiber bars....do I wrap them?????

I'd wrap them.  Difficult to tell from the pic how far up I'd go - where's the cable routing, if it's external then you'll have to wrap them to keep your cables in place.

WFIW - I'd always wrap them, but then I don't wear gloves (less to forget in transition I figure)

2005-05-10 4:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbon fiber bars....do I wrap them????? Rss Feed