Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Niagara Falls (Grimsby) Triathlon (Subaru Series) Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-22 10:34 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: Niagara Falls (Grimsby) Triathlon (Subaru Series)
Has anyone done the Tri-a-Tri at the Subaru Niagara Falls (Grimsby)? How deep is the water during the swim? My sister entered it because apparently you can touch the bottom during the swim (she's a nervous swimmer).

2009-07-23 6:21 AM
in reply to: #2302917

Master
Kitchener
Subject: RE: Niagara Falls (Grimsby) Triathlon (Subaru Series)
mgalanter - 2009-07-22 11:34 PM Has anyone done the Tri-a-Tri at the Subaru Niagara Falls (Grimsby)? How deep is the water during the swim? My sister entered it because apparently you can touch the bottom during the swim (she's a nervous swimmer).

I have done that tri twice - it was my 1st tri EVER 5 years ago this August and I had just learned to swim 2 months before and ended up swimming the entire thing side stroke and think I was 2nd last out of the water.       It is a great venue for nervous swimmers because yes, you can touch the bottom if you want to.     The swim is along the shore line so if you want to be able to touch you just need to place yourself accordingly.    For those who want the deeper water, you just move out a bit.   Drops off pretty quickly.  

The 2nd time I did it, there were high winds and huge waves and they gave everyone the option to switch to a du, but I an several others decided to swim.    With the exception of a few of us, most people actually walked the entire distance.          It was actually alot of fun. 

I am presently planning to do the TAT as well, to celebrate 5 years and see if I can beat coming 2nd last out of the water! 
Best of luck to your sister!     I am sure she will do well.   

2009-07-23 12:40 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
mgalanter - 2009-07-22 11:34 PM Has anyone done the Tri-a-Tri at the Subaru Niagara Falls (Grimsby)? How deep is the water during the swim? My sister entered it because apparently you can touch the bottom during the swim (she's a nervous swimmer).

I did it last year - first tri ever.  It had rained early in the morning (and all night) so the water had little visibility and was pretty choppy but yes... you can touch the ground.  It's pretty rocky too though.  We had to walk 400m down the pebbly shore and then swim back to the exit.  If she's nervous tell her to go to the back but stay towards the shallow portion.  I went to the back but treaded water in the deeper portion and was pushed ashore into all the other swimmers.  I do recall seeing people running in the water.  The bike ride was really nice for that race!  She should be fine...
2009-07-25 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Thanks! She feels a little better now that she knows she won't drown.

2016-06-23 9:55 PM
in reply to: mgalanter

Yes, you swim along the shore line and touch bottom.
2016-06-23 9:56 PM

Yes, you swim along the shore line and touch bottom.

2016-06-26 10:01 PM

User image

You swim right along the shore so she can hug the shore if she's nervous. The water is often pretty cool so she might want to find a wetsuit if she doesn't like the cold.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Niagara Falls (Grimsby) Triathlon (Subaru Series) Rss Feed