Other Resources My Cup of Joe » FRICKIN' LIAR! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-07-23 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
Subject: FRICKIN' LIAR!

Damn I'm pissed from yesterday!  I'm driving in to work on a country road with the speed limit 55 when I come up on a truck doing about 55.  There's a long straight stretch with dashed yellow, a passing zone, so I move out to pass.  As I complete the pass and move back in to the lane to touch the brakes I see a state trooper coming the other way.  My radar detector is silent and I look down to see I'm at about 74.  I think nothing of it, reset the cruise at 62'ish and keep going.

Sure enough, he turned around, chased me down and pulled me over.  "I clocked you going 91 back there during that pass."
"BS," I respond!  "No way was I doing 91.  Can I see your gun with 91 on it?"
"The speed isn't saved."
"I don't think you had your radar on.  My detector didn't go off once."
"Well maybe your detector doesn't pick up my gun or it isn't working."
"Is it on now?"
"No."
"Can you please turn it on so I can see?"
He goes back to his car, looks directly at my detector on the windshield and flips the switch to which immediately the detector goes insane.
"I guess it does work.  But I still have you at 91.  Give me your driver's license and registration."

Our state DMV is redoing its computer systems and naturally, I'm one of hundreds of thousands not informed that our registration renewal is due.  Who actually routinely checks it themselves to know when your registration is due?  So of course mine's expired and he acknowledged that as well.
"Lots of people have had problems with this.  You can go down tot he DMV to get it sorted out."

But he still wrote me up for an expired registration as well!  Azzhole!

This isn't one of those "plead guilty and mail it in" tickets.  Manadatory court appearance.  I'm so pissed.  Going to have to bring in the lawyer and either have 'em reduce it to "improper equipment" (i.e. here's some cash for the state) or argue that the trooper outright lied.  Yell

2009-07-23 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2303729

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: FRICKIN' LIAR!

NC Troopers! I heard about them!

2009-07-23 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

Good luck with a judge believing you over the trooper...not likely!  I'd be pizzed too!

2009-07-23 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Go to court. Work a deal with the prosecutor for going 9 over, get your registration updated and be done with it.

If you get that good a deal you should be satisfied because you've said that you were in fact going 19 miles an hour over the speed limit and that your registration is expired.
2009-07-23 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2303757

User image

Champion
the colony texas
any reason why he picked 91??   does the amount of the fine change at 90 or 91??   I"m amazed that when I got a ticket that was pretty much the same situation as yours. the speed he put down was right where the fine amount went up..
2009-07-23 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

make sure, in court, to ask the cops for his maintenance records on his speed gun.

psst : its a trap.

If the gun records are up to date, that means the gun would work properly and your radar detector would have picked it up.

If the gun didn't work - he can't verify your ticket.

plus, research the truth about the gun saving the number - they can and do save numbers.

the question then becomes WHY the number wasn't saved (and ask the question clearly implying the answer is that it wasn't saved b/c it wasn't on).

Edited by condorman 2009-07-23 11:18 AM

2009-07-23 11:36 AM

User image

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
Most importantly, if you get out of this, please get the court transcripts and post them here so we can all know what to say from now on. 

2009-07-23 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2303826

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
condorman - 2009-07-23 12:16 PM

make sure, in court, to ask the cops for his maintenance records on his speed gun.

psst : its a trap.

If the gun records are up to date, that means the gun would work properly and your radar detector would have picked it up.

If the gun didn't work - he can't verify your ticket. 

plus, research the truth about the gun saving the number - they can and do save numbers.

the question then becomes WHY the number wasn't saved (and ask the question clearly implying the answer is that it wasn't saved b/c it wasn't on).

Thanks!  Unfortunately I'm scheduled to be at Myrtle Beach with the family on the court date.  I'm really hoping that the lawyer can handle this for me.  I would hate to have to drive 4 hours back here and lose a whole day just for this crap.  When I hook up with the lawyer I'll pass along these tips.
2009-07-23 11:47 AM

Expert
Behind you
I've heard if the cop doesn't show for court, then you will win the case.  Also that most cops cannot get off work FOR the ticket they wrote.  I read this somewhere on CNN one day.  
2009-07-23 11:47 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Have your lawyer as for an extension to a date when you can be there. Happens all the time. I was hit by a drunk driver. The d-bag and his lawyer kept asking for extensions, which were granted, in the hopes we (the witnesses/victims) would not show up and thereby strengthen their case. I showed up EVERY time! Missed work each time too. No way this guy was getting off on a technicality. I can't tell you how pissed I was to show up wait and wait and wait and then find out that the case was being extended (with no explanation to me).

Good luck, build your case.
2009-07-23 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2303923

User image

Elite
Raleigh
TeamAngel - 2009-07-23 11:47 AM I've heard if the cop doesn't show for court, then you will win the case.  Also that most cops cannot get off work FOR the ticket they wrote.  I read this somewhere on CNN one day.  

The first part is true, but the 2nd is not. The prosecutor will coordinate with the trooppers so that multiple one's of the troopers cases are handled at the same session. It is rare that the trooper will not show up then. However, w/o the trooper the court must drop the case.

2009-07-23 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
PA
They had speed traps set up in CT all the time when I lived there.  A trooper would be out on the road pointing at people to pull over.  There would be a line of cop cars lined up ready to give chase to anyone who didn't stop.  I got signaled over one day and I knew I was not speeding because I also had a radar detector (illegal in CT). 

I went to court and the prosecutor spoke to me.  I told him I knew I was not speeding due to the radar.  He asked if I would plead guilty ($40 fine) to the radar detector if they would drop the speeding.  I agreed and it was that easy.  Just saying, perhaps they will negotiate you pleading guilty on the registration and drop the speeding since you also had radar and have a good argument against it being true.
2009-07-23 12:35 PM

New York

Okay a few things:
A) you claim to be doing "74ish". Well that's really close to 20 over so in fact he was right on about you speeding. It's the actual number you're contesting, not the fact you were speeding.  It makes no difference to him if you were15 over or 50 over. You were speeding and that's that.  I'm sure he will gladly let you plead guilty to 74 if you ask for it. Or are you now willing to be the liar and deny you were speeding at all.
B) Your registration was expired so in fact he was correct about that, just not compassionate. 
C) Most Police agencies no longer keep the speed record on their radar sysytems. Although the function exists most choose not to store them as an offical policy. In fact many have disbaled the function to store it.

Okay so that said the one reason I can see for the discrepancy is the truck you passed. A larger object such as a Truck or even a Large Road sign can often impact the way a radar gun reads the speed. Often the truck's speed will show up as primary on the target speed and your vehicle may not even be shown.

This does not appear to be a trap because you were speeding and passing another vehicle doing the exact speed limit (by your own admission) and the cop was not set up hidng waiting for you to travel down a large hill. So as I know in this day an age it's popular to blame everyone else except ourselves I think a change of tone is approapriate. Having watched our President comment on something he calimed to know nothing about but still classified it as stupid I realize what you are doing is the norm. When did we as a culture stop taking responsibity for our own actions? Like I said, petitiion the court to allow you to plead guilty to 74 "ish" and be done with it. I'm sure they'll even dismiss the registraion problem, I mean based onthe DMV's problems and all.

Good Luck

2009-07-23 12:53 PM

User image

Pro
MA

I am sorry Doug but you WERE speeding.  A rule is a rule and you broke it.  Yes, everyone speeds but doesn't make it right.  Other speeders were just lucky that they were not caught.  Their time will come. 

Also, your registration is EXPIRED.  How would you not know that?  There are certain things (e.g dates of passport expiration, CD maturation)  one must keep track of coz noone else is responsible for them. 

Tough luck.  Hope everything goes on smoothly. 

2009-07-23 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Trinity, Florida
There is of course always the slim chance the trooper was right.  My old RADAR did not save the violator speed.  Also it was mandatory for us to show at court.  Plus it was extra cash in hand.  Either way, good luck and of course "Have a nice day"
2009-07-23 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am just curious about NC state law on highways. If I remember my drivers ed here in Washington it is legal to exceed the speed limit when legally passing another vehicle as long as the speed is not excessive. In the case here that means passing someone going 55 (speed limit lets say) by going 65 would be ok, Much more than that and you approach that excessive speed/reckless driving mark. Is NC law similar and if not you might want to find out what the exact law regarding passing rules and regulations is. It may be that you passed in a perfectly legal manner.

Not to mention a lot of troopers around here (at least the King County Sherriffs I used to talk to/work with) have gone to a laser detection system to determine speed so people radar detectors are no longer effective. I am also not sure of the effectiveness of Radar speed detection from a moving vehicle as the only times I have seen it used was from a stationary officer. A lot of variables can go in to this as far as what the police officer detected and what you were doing. Overall I would go in looking for a reduced fine vs. trying to get it dismissed. Good Luck though however you decide to fight it, just make sure you and your attorney have all the information first!

2009-07-23 1:37 PM

Veteran
Salisbury NC
What was the trooper name? Were you in Iredell or Meck? You can PM if you don't want to post the trooper name.

2009-07-23 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Flushing
You should try to get the court date switched. Cops schedule all court dates on the same days so they can get them done at once. If you change days he might have to be on patrol and not make your date. If he doesn't show then you get off. It is worth a try. I have a friend that is a cop and he told me about this trick.
2009-07-23 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2304123

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
D.K. - 2009-07-23 10:53 AM

I am sorry Doug but you WERE speeding.  A rule is a rule and you broke it.  Yes, everyone speeds but doesn't make it right.  Other speeders were just lucky that they were not caught.  Their time will come. 

Also, your registration is EXPIRED.  How would you not know that?  There are certain things (e.g dates of passport expiration, CD maturation)  one must keep track of coz noone else is responsible for them. 

I agree. You admit you were speeding - so - whether 20 over or 40 over, over is over. And like DK said - it's your responsibility to keep your stuff up-to-date, that job falls on no one else. Take your lumps.

2009-07-23 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
You're lucky you weren't here - getting caught 50k over the limit results in an automatic roadside suspension of your licence for a week and your car is impounded for a week.  They say they catch more people going 48 or 49km over now ... heh. 

And, your registration stuff doesn't fall on your birthday? That's the general rule here - very easy to remember!  

Edited by juniperjen 2009-07-23 3:22 PM
2009-07-23 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2304446

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
SpiritFire - 2009-07-23 4:15 PM
D.K. - 2009-07-23 10:53 AM

I agree. You admit you were speeding - so - whether 20 over or 40 over, over is over. And like DK said - it's your responsibility to keep your stuff up-to-date, that job falls on no one else. Take your lumps.

20 over and 40 over is a huge difference - in VA 20 over is a speeding ticket, 40 over is reckless driving and you can have your license taken away.  not sure where the line falls in NC but I would definitely go to court and argue that one.  you're still gonna have a fine, points, and hit to your insurance, but at least you won't be in any further trouble.

2009-07-23 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2304123

User image

Elite
Raleigh
D.K. - 2009-07-23 12:53 PM

Also, your registration is EXPIRED.  How would you not know that?   There are certain things (e.g dates of passport expiration, CD maturation)  one must keep track of coz noone else is responsible for them. 

It's easy in NC! They just changed the system and the stickers that were used on the windows are no longer the way it is done. It is VERY confusing!

BTW: I hate Mass police! I klived there for three years, moved to VA and ordered plates. While waiting for my plates I travel back to MA for the Pan Mass Challange Charity Bike ride. In Belmont MA a cop pulls me over because the stickers on my plates were expired. I could have had them in the car and just not put them on and it would have been ok. However, he had already called a tow truck, had my car towed and left me and my bike by the side of the road. Can you say kick-back!

Took me a whole day and a lot of money and run around, which included drives to City Hall in Boston, the police department in Farmingdale of all places, Belmot police and the tow yard. It was all total BS! I will not drive in that State ever again.

They contradicited each other and lied in almost every place!

Beh!
2009-07-24 6:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
If you have not had a ticket before get your lawyer to get you "improper equipment"...get your inspection/registration whatever fixed and give a copy to the lawyer...they will usually let you off with the improper equipment charge as you were passing...which in your case is rather irrelevant as the truck you were passing was doing the speed limit...but whatever...also it doesn't go on your insurance/drivers license...but...and this answers someone elses question too...you can NOT legally go over the speed limit to pass someone in NC...the speed limit is the limit...

Now...if your not familiar with the improper equipment charge then you should know that if you get another ticket in the next (I think four years) you WILL be charged with BOTH tickets...and you will get the points from both tickets added to your license...and to really screw with you I think they personally call your insurance company (j/k)...each county has its own way of issuing the improper equipment charge...I think Meck you can get it how ever many times you want...Cabarrus is like 1 every 5 years...some are once and thats it...

Good luck and sorry it happened...and in the words of Yoda...Patience should you have when the car you drive...hmmm...
2009-07-24 7:18 AM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Sorry this happened. I think it's crappy that the cop tagged you for 91 when you were going 74. That is the disturbing part of the whole thing. Taken at face value (assuming this is TRUE), you have no recourse. It's your word against his, and you ahve to prove your innocence. That's the part of this. Yeah - your reg lapsed. Yeah - you were speeding (really? in a passing zone? That's crap - what's the point of a passing zone?) But to inflate it like that is non-sense and you are helpless to defend yourself.
2009-07-24 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
We had our car towed for expired registration. We were going through a "conversion" with our DMV systems and when I questioned it was told "it is a courtesy we offer it is not mandatory we send you a renewal". Mind you we had transferred plates and had just bought the car in January (this was September) who would think their registration is expired on a 6 month old car. Cop left my husband, son and I on the side of the road. Had to call someone to come pick us up.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » FRICKIN' LIAR! Rss Feed  

of 2