General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
MultiRace
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 57s
Overall Rank = 168/728
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/86
Pre-race routine:

as usual I had everything packed and ready to go the night before. got home late from work and didn't get to sleep until after 1am so I was not very well rested. I've had this issue before and it doesn't really bother me until after the race so I wasn't worried. ate something and got the wife and kid packed into the car and on the road.
Event warmup:

normal stratching routine. met Velo and Robert just before the start. Velo introduced me to another BT'er named Brad on vacation from SC.
Swim
  • 08m 42s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

like my last race I got a good start. after about 100 feet there wasn't anybody close. I had started to the left so I had a slightly longer distance to the first turn. about half way to the first marker my goggles got fogged up and it was hard to sight. this caused me to veer left and give me a longer distance than the other front of pack swimmers. once rounding the first turn I stayed on course throughout the rest of the swim but the time was lost.
What would you do differently?:

not really sure, my last few races I've had this problem with sighting from a fogged up lens...maybe I should try one of those goggles with the much larger lens that are made for open water swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

a very easy transition, I didn't lose any time unexpectedly. my place on the rack was in the middle and very crowded which sucks but nothing was knocked over or missing so it wasn't a problem

not much, my new technique of using rubber bands to keep the shoes level then doing the running mount works really well
Bike
  • 24m 43s
  • 8 miles
  • 19.42 mile/hr
Comments:

when I jumped on the bike and rode off I was feeling really good and got into the shoes efficiently. then I look down and see that I'm riding 40 mph!! RIGHT...obviously my comp had a problem. I scrolled through all the functions and nothing was working. this is really annoying. so for the whole ride I ha dno way to guage my speed, cadence, performance, etc...anyway I put in a decent time considering having to climb the bridge twice in such a short ride so I'm happy overall with the ride

might need a new comp. definitely need a new bike, mine is like dragging a boat anchor up the hill. just keep training
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

the only minor issue was when jumping off the bike one shooe ends up close to the ground and gets dragged. I had to sloww and actually bend over to level the peddles out

not sure
Run
  • 26m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

felt good and strong during the run, only a minor cramp early but it went away. at about the 2 mile point a guy in my AG came up beside me and said we were on pace to finish in an hour...so I sped up and paced with him. he pulled away just briefly toward the end but at the finish line we were neck and neck with him just beating me

still need to drink more on the bike to avoid cramping
Post race
Warm down:

got some water and food, met up with the wife and kid. walked around for a while then went to pack my stuff. after seeing the results I wasn't too happy (it took some research to realize that everybody was slower in this race not just me...and based on my percentile placing this was actually my best race yet) and my wife and kid were tired so we headed home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my only advantage ove the competition is on the swim so I have to perform flawlessly there. I wasn't able to do so due to sighting and navigation as well as starting too far outside. for my next race I will have new goggle more suitable for open water swimming and even if it means a fight I starting closer to the middle to give my self a shorter distance to swim.

Event comments:

I understand that they moved the venue of this race last minute but the issue with the bathrooms really was inexcusable to me. by now they must know that many athletes will need to use the restroom prior to racing and when you have 728 racers and only 10 portajohns there is a major problem. the line was about 50 people deap and all the untis had run out of paper long before most people had a chance to use them...come on multi-race, that is not cool!!

Last updated: 2009-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:42 | 400 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/86
Overall: 118/728
Performance: Below average
Suit: tr-sit
Course: a square, keeping the markes on our right
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:24:43 | 08 miles | 19.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 35/86
Overall: 223/728
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 1 loop over the Powell bridge and back then through virginia key and back into marine stadium.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:15 | 03.1 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/86
Overall: 201/728
Performance: Average
Course: out and back around the lagoon. some running on the beach and some on a dirt trail, the rest on paved sidewalk. not a very fast course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-23 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2

2009-07-23 5:26 PM
in reply to: #2304339

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2

Hey Angelo...

Congrats on another awesome performance...!!!

Great Race....Remember...You are in the most tough and competitive AG...and...You and Brad did it great....28th and 26th of 86....Good Job man...!!!

My RR is already posted too...LOL

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 Rss Feed