General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » total newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-25 12:49 AM

User image

Regular
Bishop, CA
Subject: total newbie

Hello everybody.  I haven't really looked at anyone else's welcome message so I don't know what people usually post, but here goes:

I'm 21, fairly fit (I guess, people don't call me fat at least, haha).  I've slowly been getting back into working out after taking a long break.  I decided to start training for sprint triathlon because I think it will be a great experience and having a clear goal will give me the motivation I need to work out regularly.  I have a pretty good foundation for biking, so I'm not worried about that as much as the swim or run.  I really don't know how to swim efficiently (meaning I can keep myself from drowning if I have to but that's about it), but I have a friend whose stepdad can teach me.  Also, I'm not at all a good runner (yet!).  Every time I try to start running I end up in terrible pain in my feet (mostly the outside edge), calves, and shins.  But I'm determined to learn how to do it right.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me, what kind of training plan I should start with, and what are the best sprint triathlons in California, or anything really.  Thanks!

2009-07-27 12:03 AM
in reply to: #2307140

User image

Extreme Veteran
Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: RE: total newbie
Hi,

With respect to your running.  If you have access to one, I'd recommend doing some training on a treadmill.  It will help you do a couple things - 1) Stay on a pace, 2) help you keep track the metrics of your gains, 3) help you build leg strength with less impact on your joints. 

Just make sure you set the incline to 1-1.5%, as it better simulates running as opposed to you just moving you legs on a moving belt.

Welcome and good luck...

Patrick
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » total newbie Rss Feed