www.boilermaker.com
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 42s
Overall Rank = 2223/10580
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 201/664
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I stayed at a friends house in Syracuse and caught the bus from the Syracuse YMCA to the starting line, sweet deal. Banana and coffee as always when I woke up at 4:30 am and half a bagel and water on the bus. Hammer Gel 10 min before the start.
Event warmup:

Some stretching to loosen up my lower back and used 'The Stick' to rub down my legs. Easy jog around the parking lot. Decided to wear my trisuit since I could open and close the top as needed and made wearing the Amphipod belt easier to support my lower back.
Run
  • 1h 13m 42s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Perfect weather for a run at 60F and sunny, the coolest ever for the 32 years of this event. I dumped water on my head a 2 or 3 times times for a mental shakeup.

To do this race again I'm going to have to lie about my seeding time to move up in the field at the start. I swear I ran an extra 0.1 mile for the first 3 miles dodging people that had no business being were they were. However, I'm still not sure how they do the groupings for the race on the seedings, not sure what it would take to move up.

I was really jammed up between mile 3-4 going up the hill at the golf course when it narrowed down. On the way down I actually ran on the grass of the GC following a few others as the pavement was bothering my back and it was free from slower runners.

Any way, it was a great race and I loved the atmosphere along the whole 9.33 mile course!
What would you do differently?:

Move up in the seedings so the first 3 miles aren't as hectic. Fight more on the 3-4 mile hill and I let mile 6-7 get to my head, I should have been faster than those splits.
Post race
Warm down:

None special needed, ran a bit too "easy", Beer and music with some food at the event party afterward was a great time.

Ran into Bill Rodgers up near the band stage and got his autograph on my race bib. We talked for a bit and when he noticed I was from Melbourne FL he brought up the Melbourne Marathon which he was the guest of honor for at the inaugural event in Feb 09. He stated he really liked the race and the area and is looking forward to being back in 2010 for the next one.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Was totally unfamiliar with the race course and left ~20-30 sec per mile on several of the mile intervals, less on others.

Event comments:

Next year my HS friend and I are talking about going to go head to head as I put up the friendly challenge, of course with her being so competitive it was a no delay "your on" so lets see where it goes! She did a 63 min run back in her mid 20's on this course and ran with her husband this year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:13:42 | 9.32 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 201/664
Overall: 2223/10580
Performance: Good
Based on my watch, 2:43 from the starting gun to actually crossing the starting line timing mat. Mile 1 = 8:11, Mile 2 = 8:21, Mile 3 = 8:17, Mile 4 = 8:33 (hill climb), Mile 5 = 7:08 (hill decent), Mile 6 = 7:53, Mile 7 = 8:24 (long incline), Mile 8 7:19 (long decline), Mile 9 = 7:33, Mile 0.33 = 2:04.
Course: Nothing like this in FL where I live!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes