General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oly and half marathon 2 weeks apart?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-29 9:41 PM

User image

Subject: Oly and half marathon 2 weeks apart??
Though I've never done either in a race setting, I know I am ready to participate in an oly and I know I am ready to participate in a half marathon. I have one of each that I want to do in October that are 2 weeks apart. The oly being the first race and the half marathon two weeks later. Does this seem overly ambitious in terms of recovery times? I'd be interested in hearing of other experiences attempting to do similar races.

2009-07-29 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2316400

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Oly and half marathon 2 weeks apart??
Most are going to say this... but it's hard to give good advice when you don't have any training history in your logs.

For someone who has a high training volume... it's completely doable. For someone who has a low training volume... probably so... but where is that person from an athletic stand point?

Just hard to say since we can't see what your training history is.

2009-07-29 9:56 PM

User image

Thanks for the word on the logs. I just found this site a couple of weeks ago so I haven't had a chance to log regularly. I did log here for a few days but then I had company in town and got distracted and blah blah blah. I will start logging my training for future reference.
2009-07-29 9:58 PM

User image

Oh, and I am primarily a runner generally running about 25-30 miles a week, if that influences the responses any.
2009-07-29 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2316416

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
annicola - 2009-07-29 9:56 PM

Thanks for the word on the logs. I just found this site a couple of weeks ago so I haven't had a chance to log regularly. I did log here for a few days but then I had company in town and got distracted and blah blah blah. I will start logging my training for future reference.

Hello and welcome to BT! Hang around... you will grow to love this place.

Well, give some history here in this thread... so people (coaches go into these threads and respond) can give you some good advice.

What is your history? Have you been running very long? How many tri's have you done... etc. You know, all that blah-blah-blah stuff.

I'm not really an expert... so I don't feel comfortable giving advice. I'll just tell you my experience... when I was training for my Ironman last year... my body got use to doing a 4-6 hour ride on Sat... and a 12-16 mile walk/run on Sunday.

So I figure if I could do that... someone with a solid athletic history/base could do an Oly and then do a 1/2 mary 2 weeks out.

Then again, this just past weekend I did a sprint tri on Sat... ran a 10K on Sunday and then rode 1.5 hours right after wards. My view on what is "normal" might not be what someone else's is.

Edited by KSH 2009-07-29 10:01 PM
2009-07-29 10:05 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
If you're running 25-30 mpw, you'll probably be okay.  I did an HIM and a marathon 3 weeks apart and PR'ed the marathon, so my perceptions may be a little skewed by that, but your scenario seems pretty doable if you really have that kind of running volume going on now.  You'll just want to be careful to get your long run up to the 10-14 range enough ahead of the Oly that you aren't needlessly fatigued for that race.

2009-07-29 10:12 PM

User image

Thank you for the welcome! I have been running 20+ miles a week for over a year and have recently kicked it up to closer to 30. I've participated in a couple of small running races but was mostly running for myself until I decided I wanted to do a tri last January. It was then that I began doing some real swim and bike training. I did both voluminously growing up so I only needed a few tips on my swim stroke and bike technique and was able to spend most of my training time focusing on endurance. I have only one tri under my belt, a sprint (though the swim was longer than a typical sprint--1000m rather than 750m and the bike was slightly longer than 25k). My regular training swim and bike distances are nearly as long as an olympic distance race and I would obviously pick that up over the next couple of months. As for running, I don't really consider anything under a 5 mile run to be a run, for me. My average run is about 6-7 miles (though it's been lower these past two weeks) and on my weekly long runs I shoot for about 10 miles.
2009-07-29 10:17 PM

User image

Very interesting topic to me personally as I am doing my first oly on Aug 15 and my first 1/2 marry on Sept 6, so 3 weeks between.  I never really thought about it since I am not worried about recovery time.  If anything, I am a little worried that two weeks after the half-marry I have my final sprint of the season, which is the one I have been targeting as my "A" race.

With the amount of running you are doing (and assuming that the volume of the bike and run are relative), you should be fine.  I did a minioly (1k/30k/8k) and was running a few days later.
2009-07-30 5:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

Interesting for me as well but I think it is completely individual.

I am doing my first HIM in 9 days and 2 weeks later there is a Half-Marathon I would really like to do. I am lucky because for that event you can sign up until the day before so I have decided to play it by ear and see how I feel after the HIM and if my body will be ready to run the Half-Marathon 2 weeks later....

Do you need to sign up now or can you wait until after the Olympic?

Edited by Joblin 2009-07-30 5:29 AM
2009-07-30 9:34 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Depends on your goals, your training, and your age (yes, I'm old now).

In the summer, I have a stretch where I do a 15k race, a long sprint, a half marathon, then a short oly right in a row (in some cases the races are only 6 days apart). When I was younger, I could race all 4... now I find that while I can still DO all 4, I tend to pick two and race those, and enjoy the time being alive for the other two. And in between, I do not do much training, and almost zero intensity stuff.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oly and half marathon 2 weeks apart?? Rss Feed