General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 6h 23m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up with Terri, Clint and Joel, ate my usual bagel with peanut butter and banana...thanks for being so accomodating Terri, headed to Racine, got the Donkey tents set up and went over to transition to get all of my gear ready.
Event warmup:

Walked over to the swim start, got in the lake with Terri and AmyJo, dunked under to not have the body be so shocked when we started the swim.
Swim
  • 31m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim for me. I was feeling good from the moment i got in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...so far so good!
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

Transition was good as far as I am concerned. I was going to be taking my time no matter what that day. Just really wanting to enjoy the day and what it was all about.

Maybe speed it up next time...was having so much fun, why do that and miss all of the excitement around me.
Bike
  • 3h 05m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.07 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride was not very exciting except for the crappy roads. Wow, they were bumpy. Bt the end of the ride, my bum was ready to be done. Saw Mike from Janesville on the ride, chatted with Anna and really had a decent ride. I was petering out a bit towards the end, but in general was strong. Next half, I will do some more long rides to prepare. One 45 mile ride does not make for enough training on the bike. Thank god I do have good bike fitness. Was able to maintain an 18 mpr average throughout. Happy girl!!!!! Came in to transition, 3:05 for 56 miles. I will take it. So far, way ahead of the 7:00 hour goal :-)

Do some more longer training rides to prepare.
Transition 2
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

Back in transition, again took my time and got ready for the 13.1 mile run ahead of me. So far, this has been the most fun I have had in a race ever. Got the running shoes, the pink hat and the pink breast cancer cape on (couldn't forget that)...and I was ready to rock!!!

Nothing...it really wasn't about my time in general, just being in the environment was amazing in itself.
Run
  • 2h 33m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, here is where I got my penalty - I am listing my run time as it was...I got a 4:00 minute penalty for receiving outside assistance...I will get into that in a bit :-).

Heading out on the run, I stopped for the potty stop and went out. Got to see the Donkey jockstrappers (athletic supporters) and big bonus, Kathi hooked up with me!!!!!! She ran the first 3 miles with me. We chatted and looked for her son Matthew (who rocked the half by the by)! She peeled off when she saw him and I was on my own. ** (Ding, ding, that was my penalty. I emailed the head official asking what the penalty was for and told her it was worth the 4 minutes).

I must say that the cape was the best part of the whole run. Got to chat with many people, Super Girl was a big theme that day. I actually felt great on this run, although not fast I felt really good. During the first 3 miles, there was a young guy who said he haad to catch up with me and ask about the cape...Did I have breast cancer? Yes, I do I said, going through treatment right now as a matter of fact. He was amazed and told me stories of his aunts and cousins who have all had it. Great to hear the stories. Sent me on my way and I kept going. After Kathi saw Matthew, I saw Terri (Joe Runner) at the turn around, she was feeling good...at that point she was about 10 minutes behind me...well, I knew that wasn't going to last long. She caught up with me just at about the 6 mile turn around. So great to run with her for a while. Passed the Donkey tent, got to see all of the Donkey supporters, my dear friend Deann, Tom and Suzie, Kathi and Dan, Jack and the P-burger and a big smooch from my hubcap Brendon!!!!

Second loop, felt just as good as the first. I do highly recommend wearing a cape for a race. Got to talk to some amazing people, many questions were asked about the cape...a pink cape with the breast cancer ribbon on the back gets a lot. Shared my story with a few and got so much support and a ton of smiles. Go SUPER GIRL was a big cheer!

The last 3 miles slowed down quite a bit, but I was stilll having a blast! Each mile, I walked at the mile markers and at the water stations...got oreos at one...who can pass them up!!!! At about mile 12, I saw Deann and Tom (Father in law) and Parker. Parker wanted to run a bit with me...in white heels and socks. Gotta love that girls fashion sense. Asked if she wanted to continue...she was ready to walk, so I gave her a big kiss, and off I went with Deann biking beside me. Along came DJ Davey to run in with me... so nice that he did that. He had already finished...he is another wicked fast one, so it was great that he took the time to come back to run with me. He asked if I had cried yet. Only once. He said, well you will again and now I am off. As soon as he and Deann peeled off I was about to hit the finish area...passed the Donkey tents and immediately got the ugly cry going on. So awesome to have everyone cheering...got to see everyone that had finished already, my family and my wonderful new friends I had made...what an emotional moment. Tearing up as I am typing this. I was about to cross the finish line... 70.3 miles while going through treatment for breast cancer...That was one of my proudest moments, and to have so many people share it with me was extra special.

As soon as I was crossing th finish line, I hear the announcer say..."Here comes another donkey...Super Girl Michele Wilkinson" What a great moment...I did it!!!!!! 6:19:53!!!!!...6:23:53 with penalty...I am going with the 6:19. Not the fastest, but not the slowest and I did it!

Nothing at all!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

As I gave back my timing chip, got my medal and water, I saw Suzie, Deann and Kathi. So glad to give them all big hugs. Wow, my legs got sore quickly!!! Legs....slowed down, Deann helped me get my stuff from transition and we went back to the Donkey tent. Got to see everyone again and congratulate everyone that finished...everyone was so strong and did an amazing job. I am so proud to be able to call all of them my friends, and everyone that came to support me and everyone out there, you are all the bomb! Craig...awesome pictures!!!! My hubby was the ultimate jock strapper that day. He is the best.

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The current must have been crazy strong and the course must have been a bit short, because this is WICKEd fast for me!!!! The wave was pretty large, over 230 women in my wave. Got kicked a few times, did get to see Terri in the water out of all of those people. There were times I felt like I was flying in the water. Stood up at one point and saw a bunch of people walking...what are they doing??? Well, I was finished with the swim! Love the point to point swim! Got out, felt a little dizzy, so walked to the transition area.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:37
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:05:58 | 56 miles | 18.07 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: BUMPY!!!!! Man, the roads were horrible! My bum was ready to get off that bike by the end of the ride.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:33:18 | 13.1 miles | 11m 42s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Two looper with a decent hill to start each loop. Beautiful run course. At least I thought it was.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-07-31 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2009-07-31 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2319736

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

Definitely 6' 19"!

U R amazing Michelle - brilliant race & report

LaughingCry my laptop's getting wet!

2009-08-01 8:21 AM

New user
I am such a sucker!  I am crying just reading your report.  CONGRATULATIONS!  You did an awesome job.  Thank you so much for sharing.
2009-08-01 8:42 AM

90 miles south of Titletown, USA
Ahhhhh, so you were the one with the pink cape...it all makes sense now.

Congrats on your 70.3 and best of luck and thoughts and prayers in your battle. With your wonderful attitude and the support system that you seem to have, you will, no doubt, win your fight. :-)
2009-08-01 10:16 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Michele! great RR.  You had me laughing and crying all at the same time! You rocked it, Wish I could have been there.
2009-08-03 8:42 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

frickin EEEAAAWWWsum job out there superdonkeygirl!!!!!!  that is what representing the nation is all about!!  the ULTIMATE in being stubborn and sticking to "the pace"!  you have the ability, both physically AND mentally to go the full distance at any point of your choosing!!! 

I currently wear a live strong band on my wrist to represent three people i know............my father, my father Inlaw and you.  when i get achey and whiny on a workout or a race, i see that and think how i dont have it hard at all. you guys (especially you) inspire me on each workout and each race!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009-08-03 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2323558

User image

Extreme Veteran
You had to go and make me cry again :-). 
2009-08-03 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI

HOT DAMN, HALLEJULIAH!!!  You are a rock star.  So happy to be here for ya and always will be.  Looking forward to many more races with you.

2009-08-04 6:57 AM
in reply to: #2323829

User image

Master
Madison, WI

Damn, here I am getting all weepy again. You absolutely amaze and inspire me, girl. Absolutely.

Can I say that it KILLS me that you had that bike pace with only 1 long ride AND while undergoing cancer treatment? Full strength and fully trained you'd be smokin' fast on that bike.

2009-08-04 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed