General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Help Buying a Bike - Advice Please!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-03 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Subject: Need Help Buying a Bike - Advice Please!!
I am currently riding a 20 year old Schwinn aluminum road bike and would like to buy a new bike this fall if I come across a pretty good deal.  The problem is, I wouldn't know what a good deal is when it comes to bikes.  I would like to spend no more than $2k complete, less if possible.  I have done a sprint and have an olympic coming up in a couple of weeks.  I really enjoy riding and tri's but I am not sure that I want a tri specific bike or not.  I don't know why that is, I guess I just don't know enough about them.  I do know however, that I can do better than what I am currently riding. 

Any advice would be helpful. 

2009-08-03 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2324819

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Need Help Buying a Bike - Advice Please!!
Do you want new as in brand new?  Or new as in new to you?  You can find some amazing deals on used carbon bikes on ebay/craigslist within your 2k budget.

ETA:  After switching from a road bike to a tri bike...I have ZERO interest in going back!  I'm so much more comfortable on my tri bike.

Edited by steveseer 2009-08-03 3:02 PM
2009-08-03 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
New as in "new" to me.  I am probably in the 51 to 52 cm size according to a few "tri" bikes that I sat on at the LBS.  With the tri bike, are you stuck in the aero position or do you have some options for different positions??  Again, I am really new to this whole thing. 
2009-08-03 3:28 PM

The short answer is that a new bike will definitely make a difference.  You can get a Trek Equinox Time Trial bike for around $1800- $2000 (the lower end aluminum model).  The problem with a TT bike is that if you enjoy riding and want to use it for other purposes, its probably not the right bike for you.  The geometry of TT bike is different from an ordinary road bike.  One option to consider is to get a road bike and then have a set of aero bars that you can put on for the days when you are doing a tri.  You can definitely get a new road bike for under $2K...it won't be carbon or have higher end gearing/components...but it will be an improvement over a 20 year old Schwinn. The best bet is to find a good local bike shop and ask to take one of their bikes for a road test - any good bike shop should let you do this...and see how much of a difference it makes.  One word of caution - I'd be reluctant to change bikes with only a couple of weeks to an event.  Granted, the bike distance is not that far, but a new bike with a new geometry that you are not used to might not feel very comfortable.  Sometimes new bikes are like new shoes that need to be broken in...and it takes time for your body to adapt to a new riding position that is different from what you have been training in.
2009-08-03 3:36 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

i recommend reading this first.  it will give you basic overview as far as time trial bike vs roadie and what is for you.

as far as $1.5k-2k which is what it sounds like you want to spend.  there is a number of very nice bikes in the price range.  what i would recommend is wait a little bit....shops will begin stocking their 2010 product and their 2009 merchandise will be on sale.

personally my first bike was a tt and i am happy i made the decision.  i ride in several groups and have no issues.
2009-08-04 7:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Thanks for all of the help.  I am planning on riding the old bike for my Oly coming up and probably will not be buying anything until later this fall. 

Again thanks for all of your help.

2009-08-04 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Iowa

trix- 

thanks for the article.  It defnitely offers up some information that I have been thinking about or wanting to know.  I think I will probably go with the tri bike as I ride primarily solo and occasionaly with 1 or 2 people. 

With that said, what are the tri bikes I should be looking at in this price range???

2009-08-04 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2326114

User image

Champion
MA
harleyclone - 2009-08-04 8:24 AM

trix- 

thanks for the article.  It defnitely offers up some information that I have been thinking about or wanting to know.  I think I will probably go with the tri bike as I ride primarily solo and occasionaly with 1 or 2 people. 

With that said, what are the tri bikes I should be looking at in this price range???

The ones that fit you.

It is more than this one looks nice, has components that I like and is in my price range. Key to having a bike you will love to ride now and into the future is bike fit.

Spend time now visiting lots shops, ask on the IA BT forum for suggested shops to go to and to avoid find which shop will educate and work with you to find a bike that fits you and work with them. Some shops try to sell you what they have to clear out their inventory but if the bike dosen't fit you right you will not enjoy it and reach your potential with the bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Help Buying a Bike - Advice Please!! Rss Feed