General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to drink/eat during a Half Iron Man Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-04 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: What to drink/eat during a Half Iron Man
I'm sure there is a forum somewhere in here that is similar to this but I gave up looking.. I'm doing my first HIM and I'm not sure what to eat/drink during the race. I usually just drink some water and a gel before my workouts and some almonds/fruit/yogurt after my workout. During my workouts I usually drink water and mixture of G2 and a gel if its more than 2 hr workout. But I'm not sure how much I should hydrate on the bike - I'm afraid my stomach will feel like a washing machine on the run but i guess that's alot better than passing out. Any advice or tips on how to stay hydrated and keep energy level up?? I think I am basically worried about my stomach on the run - I have  hard time doing runs in the evening, my stomach seems to cramp up easily.

2009-08-04 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2326726

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: RE: What to drink/eat during a Half Iron Man
How much you eat/drink I think depends on a lot of things, among them: the individual, how hard you're going, the weather, the course, etc.

On my HIM I did something similar to your plan (gels, gatorade + water), though I think I also had a Balance Bar in there somewhere, and then some GUs on the run. I drink as needed on the bike, but do make a point to take smaller sips as I get closer to the end of the bike portion and figure I'll drink on the run if my body needs it. That tends to nullify the sloshing effect.

The best advice I have gotten regarding nutrition is practice it during your workouts. Are you doing bricks? You should do a long ride with a shorter run immediately following and try out your nutrition plan. It was not easy to learn to chew and swallow food while huffing and puffing on the bike and it took a few workouts to get it right.

Good luck on your race!

Edited by swishyskirt 2009-08-04 11:09 AM
2009-08-04 11:23 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I usually begin the bike with a plan to eat around every 45 minutes. I eat in small increments, like 2-3 Shot Blocks, or 2-3 bite of a bar of some kind. In the end I have typically ingested 6-9 shot bloks, a bar of some kind, and possibly a gel at the end. Depending on HEAT, I usually take in 3 bottles of liquid (1 sports drink, 2 water).

On the run I take 1-2 gels, depending on how my tummy feels, and sip whatever liquids are at the aid stations.

This stuff is so individual though, your best bet is to practice on your long training days and see what works for you.

2009-08-04 11:47 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Definitely try things out in training.  You want to get a sense both for how much you might need in different conditions and how much your stomach can absorb at race paces.  On balance, you probably want to err on the 'too little' side since you can generally make it up with aid stations available to you.  But you certainly don't want to overly 'underdo' it either.  You have to strike a balance and it's a little different for everyone.  A good place to start is probably about 1 bottle of fluids (20-24oz) per hour on the bike and 200-250 calories per hour (from all sources combined--drinks, gels, bars, other solids, etc.).
2009-08-04 1:33 PM

User image

Regular
Great, I will start implementing this on my brick workouts. Thank you everyone for your help!
2015-01-20 11:01 PM

My " old days" fysiology teacher claimed( he was also member of the medical team of the Dutch Swimming Team) the best drink you can take during exercise is a mix of water and orange juice( 50-50). What you need are fast sugars, orange juice has lots of them! Simple and effectieve...

2015-01-23 4:34 PM
in reply to: JackieSBR

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
infinit !!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to drink/eat during a Half Iron Man Rss Feed