General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who owns both a Tri and a Road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-07 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2333476

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Subject: RE: Who owns both a Tri and a Road bike
I have a QR Caliente (the one with flames for speed, doesn't help that much I might add) and a recently purchased Javelin Parma.  Glad to have a road bike now to usee for long training rides.

2009-08-07 8:30 AM

Ireland
I bought a tri bike as my first bike also. Just keep in mind bottom end tri bikes start at 1200euro or so (pretty expensive), compared to road bikes. Also if you're going to join a cycling club, most don't allow tri bikes on group rides because they are not meant for precision riding in close quarters with other people. I'll probably end up getting a road bike next year too to expand my options. Some clubs around dublin here are now organising some draft legal sprint races which should be fun. :p
2009-08-07 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I have both.  My tri-bike is an antique (mid-90's Klein Aeolus) so I try to not ride it in all the crud (although I crudded it up riding it on the trainer all winter).  My road bike is a Javelin Fara (bought last year on their blowout).  Even though the Javelin is newer, it's the one I ride outside when conditions are iffy because I consider it more "replaceable."  I do have some aerobars on the Javelin, but it's not as comfortable a setup as my old Raleigh road bike was with clip-ons.  I did my HIM on the Raleigh. 

You're right, it is a personal preference thing.  Some ride their TT bikes almost exclusively, others their road bikes. 

2009-08-07 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2333743

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
ex-buzz - 2009-08-07 8:17 AM
Boogie7247 - 2009-08-07 8:03 AM I am very new to the game. My Dad is letting me borrow one of his Cannondale road bikes until I can get my own. What is the difference between a road and a tri bike? I have no intention of ever doing a ironman any time soon.

Generally a tri bike is made so that it uses less of the running muscles (leaves you fresher for the run) by having a seat tube angle more vertical than a road bike (which is few degrees further back towards the rear wheel).

The tri bike will also have aero bars, which allow you to to assume a more aerodynamic posture hence more speed, yet decrease maneuerability and the ability to brake fast (you have to come out of aero position to use the brakes). The reason for that is in most triathlon events drafting is not allowed ( although ITU championships now allows it for showmanship purposes), so you have to cut through the air yourself, and because you are not close to people you don't need the the maneuverability of a road bike to stay out of their way etc.

So basically a road bike is for riding in groups and is easier to ride in hilly terrain. A tri bike is the faster bike solo (aerodynamically speaking) and it allows you to run better off the bike.

You'll see most triathletes on very hilly courses, such as ironman nice using road bikes exclusively because there is so much climbing it is easier to use a road bike. You can also attach aero bars onto a road bike, but, depending on the fit this might overstretch you somewhat and cause fatigue if used for along time.

The rest of your post is true, but there is nothing to support the first statement that I bolded here.
2009-08-07 8:32 AM

User image

Elite
I've got a $2000 tri bike that I typically ride.  Then I have a $200 roady that usually just sits in the trainer at my house.  The only time it see's any road action is when a (bikeless) friend wants to ride.
2009-08-07 8:33 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I have four bikes (Track, Tri, Road, and MTB)...but my tri bike was my first. I didn't get a road bike until several years after I started tris.

ETA: I'm VERY happy to have it, now, though. I love the option of riding different bikes. I can also keep one on the trainer, and one off, etc etc. Very handy.

Edited by mmrocker13 2009-08-07 8:34 AM

2009-08-07 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

I got a road bike (Specialized Allez) when I first started doing tri's...just in case I didn't like it, I would still have a bike I could ride. Plus the road bike was significantly less expensive. When they started coming out with entry-level priced triathlon bikes, I went ahead and bought my Trek Equinox WSD. I love having both, and they both get equal work. During the racing season, my road bike spends most of its time on the trainer and the tri bike gets its workouts on my long weekend rides. If I am doing a club ride, though, I ride my road bike. Then, in the winter, tri bike goes on the trainer, and I am on my road bike pretty much exclusively outside.

I call my road bike my Town Car because it rides so smoothly and is so comfortable, and I call my tri bike my Mustang because it's so stiff and can be a rough ride, but it's fast with a lot of muscle.

2009-08-07 9:59 AM

User image

Master
I've got both...well all three. I got my Specialized Allez on e-Bay after getting passed by seemingly everybody while on my MTB during the bike leg of my first duathlon. After adding clip-on aerobars, the road bike was great for training and racing while I saved up for a tri bike.

This summer, a screamin' great deal came along on a Specialized Transition Pro, and I jumped on it. I ride that bike for almost every ride. I travel with the road bike, use it for group rides, and it will also be what goes on the trainer for the winter. I rode the Allez for a recent century, although I spent the entire time alone, so the tri bike would have been fine.
2009-08-07 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I've had my current road bike for about 16 years, my current mountain bike for 18 years, and my tri-bike for 2 years. I was a cyclist long before I got into triathlon. I used my road bike from when I started tris in 2001 until I got my tri-bike. I now ride the tri-bike lots more, but I'm not totally convinced that it's much faster (if at all) than my road bike when I race. I have aerobars on the road bike and the speed difference between the bikes seems insignificant. Now this could be due to the road bike being a higher end bike, and the tri-bike being a lower end bike, but the components on the tri-bike are certainly newer and better.

My suggestion is to get some aerobars and FF seat post for your road bike, unless you're going to go for a high end tri-bike. Getting a bike that won't go any faster just to look cool isn't a great use of money. The numbers of people I've passed on tri-bikes while I was on my road bike were staggering - and I'm not really all that fast. In races I've done this year I've been amazed at how slow some people are on their high end, top dollar tri-bikes.

Instead of spending the big bucks on a new bike, you might be much better off to get the afore mentioned items and some decent race wheels.
2009-08-07 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2334018

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Donskiman - 2009-08-07 10:01 AM 
The numbers of people I've passed on tri-bikes while I was on my road bike were staggering - and I'm not really all that fast. In races I've done this year I've been amazed at how slow some people are on their high end, top dollar tri-bikes.

I see these kinds of statements here all the time, and just want to say both are completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter how slow other people are on their tri bikes or how much faster you are than they on your road bike. What matters is how much faster (or slower) you are on a tri bike than you are on a road bike. In my case, it's  between 1 and 1.5 mph faster under similar conditions and efforts. But I don't have aerobars on my road bike either. 
2009-08-07 10:08 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I have both. The tri bike I got this year and my road bike was custom made in 1990 in Belomt MA. I love them both!

2009-08-07 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
Started with a nice carbon road bike since I wasn't sure I would stick with tris and the LBS said a road bike would definitely be the better choice.  They were right.  I rode the road bike for about 8 months through my first tri season with no regrets.  I bought last year's model tri bike in December and have put about 1,500 miles on it since.  It is faster in certain conditions, but don't just buy it with the assumption that your bike and run splits are going to improve dramatically as a result.  Here is why:

*  I haven't been able to detect any difference in how my legs feel after getting off of the tri bike vs. the road bike.  People say there is a difference, but I haven't been able to find it.  The seat tube angle is really adjusted because of the change in your upper body position.  The steeper angle keeps you from closing up your hip angle with your upper body in a horizontal position. 

*  If you ride on hilly courses, the tri bike aero benefit is diminished somewhat.  In general, road bikes climb better.  This is definitely true for me.  There are a couple of hills around here that I climb over and over on both bikes.  On one hill, I can climb it in about 2:50 on the roadie and it takes me about 3:15 on the tri bike.  The other is shorter, but steeper and it takes around 2:30 on the roadie and about 3 minutes on the tri bike. 

*  Related to the point above, the tri bike is definitely faster going downhill.  I can beat roadies to the bottom of a hill without even pedalling only to see them ease by me on the next climb.  Unfortunately, if you are on a hilly tri course, you will spend more time climbing than descending, so the tri bike doesn't 'pay you back' completely with the fast descents.  They are much better on a flatter course with less climbing.  Some may say otherwise, but this is what I have observed for me in my hilly area.

Greg
2009-08-07 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I have 4 bikes:  Mtn/commuter/cruiser, road, tri and an older Fuji touring bike that I keep at the cabin for rides up there.  I like them all for different reasons.  I find the biggest difference between my road and Tri bike are hills - the roadie climbs better and is certainly set up more conveniently for climbing/shifting. 
2009-08-07 10:47 AM

Expert
Behind you
Tri bike for the actual race and runs right before the race, the road bike in the trainer or during the week runs.
2009-08-07 11:18 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I have had my road bike x 2 years.  Would have stuck with her fine (Fuji Roubaix).  My husband surprised me with my tri bike (Blue T17) last year. I do sprints and olys so far and still use her for those events--even though it seems like overkill.  I need to make up for the time I lose on the (usually) poor swims by having free speed on the tri bike.

2009-08-07 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I have an 06 S32 for a tri bike, and an 09 CR1 team road bike.

I buy another bike when I reach certain points. Started on the S32, bought the CR1 when I averaged 20+mph in a race, and I'll buy a nicer tri bike when I break 25+mph. Thats how I keep myself in line

2009-08-07 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2334042

User image

Expert
the bear - 2009-08-07 9:07 AM
Donskiman - 2009-08-07 10:01 AM 
The numbers of people I've passed on tri-bikes while I was on my road bike were staggering - and I'm not really all that fast. In races I've done this year I've been amazed at how slow some people are on their high end, top dollar tri-bikes.

I see these kinds of statements here all the time, and just want to say both are completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter how slow other people are on their tri bikes or how much faster you are than they on your road bike. What matters is how much faster (or slower) you are on a tri bike than you are on a road bike. In my case, it's  between 1 and 1.5 mph faster under similar conditions and efforts. But I don't have aerobars on my road bike either. 

Yes, those points are somewhat irrelevant. However, as I noted in what I wrote before that statement was that I haven't noticed much difference in speed between my two bikes. There has been nothing remotely close to the speed increase you have, but I do have aerobars on my road bike. My concluding point was that for the money it may be just as good to put aerobars and FF seat post on a road bike, and if a person really wants to spend some money then add the race wheels as well.
2009-08-07 1:25 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
I would also suggest that the purpose of a tri bike is to maximize aerodynamics, power and comfort in a way that can't be done on an adapted road bike. If you're not seeing a speed advantage on your tri bike you may want to have your fit and riding position looked at, in most cases tri-bike position is going to be a lot more aggressive.

I would also venture to say most are going to find greater performance gains from a well-positioned tri bike than the most aero of wheels.
2009-08-07 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2334571

User image

Expert
the bear - 2009-08-07 12:25 PM I would also suggest that the purpose of a tri bike is to maximize aerodynamics, power and comfort in a way that can't be done on an adapted road bike. If you're not seeing a speed advantage on your tri bike you may want to have your fit and riding position looked at, in most cases tri-bike position is going to be a lot more aggressive.

I would also venture to say most are going to find greater performance gains from a well-positioned tri bike than the most aero of wheels.

I have been fit on my tri-bike as well as on my road bike.

How about you put some aerobars and FF seat post on your road bike, get properly fit, and see how close it comes to the speed you get on your tri bike? I have done so and the differences are not very much.

I also never indicated that race wheels alone would have a huge benefit, but that they, along with aerobars and FF seat post, might be a much less expensive option to get the same performance - or even better.
2009-08-07 1:51 PM

User image

Denver, CO
I have road and mountain bikes. Someday, perhaps, a tri bike.
2009-08-07 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I have a Cervelo P2C TT bike and an Orbea Onix Dama road bike. Cervelo gives me confidence and speed. Orbea is a mountain goat with her little compact cranks. Love to ride them both. I do ride my TT bike a lot more than road bike, but it is nice to have some variety.

Pam

2009-08-07 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
I bought my first bike ever a few months ago and opted for a road bike, but by this time next year I'm hoping to add a tri bike because I now end up riding mostly solo or with a really small group of other people with Tri bike or modified roadies.  I don't want to get rid of my roadie though.  I like the versatility and it seems to perform well.

BUT, we'll see what happens when I put miles in on a different bike.  I've never ridden anything else so can't compare what I like better yet.  I may end appreciating my road bike even more, or thinking "how did I ever ride that thing".

I can't stop thinking about riding a [insert name of every nice bike I see here], but I don't think I'm alone on that thought...
2009-08-07 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2334593

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Donskiman - 2009-08-07 1:37 PM
the bear - 2009-08-07 12:25 PM I would also suggest that the purpose of a tri bike is to maximize aerodynamics, power and comfort in a way that can't be done on an adapted road bike. If you're not seeing a speed advantage on your tri bike you may want to have your fit and riding position looked at, in most cases tri-bike position is going to be a lot more aggressive.

I have been fit on my tri-bike as well as on my road bike.

How about you put some aerobars and FF seat post on your road bike, get properly fit, and see how close it comes to the speed you get on your tri bike? I have done so and the differences are not very much.

I also never indicated that race wheels alone would have a huge benefit, but that they, along with aerobars and FF seat post, might be a much less expensive option to get the same performance - or even better.

I've had other road bikes with aerobars andd the speed differences are similar when compared to the tri bike.

I also have one tri bike- a Litespeed Blade - that is FIST fitted to me, and is not nearly as fast as my P2 and the Dual that I owned before it. Because of it's tall head tube and geometry, it does not maximize my aerodynamics. It;s a comfortable ride, but I can't get as low in the front (all spacers removed) as I can on the P2 and Dual (most spacers still in).

Just curious, what tri bike are you riding. Also curious about the speeds, maybe the differences are different at different speeds. I'm talking 19mph on road bike versus 20-20.5 on the P2 on a typical Z2 ride.
2009-08-07 3:16 PM

what is an ff seat post? can it make the roady into more of a tt?
2009-08-07 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

Have 2 mtn bikes, a roadie converted to a tri bike (aero bars and a proper fitting) and a "comfort bike" (Schwinn) that I ride to the neighborhood tennis courts / pool and on neighborhood family rides.

May sell one of the mtn bikes to help fund a Cervelo tri bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who owns both a Tri and a Road bike Rss Feed  

of 3