United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 26m
Overall Rank = 427/1800
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 9/47
Pre-race routine:

This was my first HIM. I train runners and triathletes for Team in Training, so I wasn't able to devote as much time to my training as I would have liked, especially on the bike. Having spent 2 years previously marathon training, I new my legs were good. Taper went well, except for last Saturday when I was in Nashville for the Country Music Marathon with my team. I had planned to run about 8-10 easy miles on the course with my runners, but ended up running 21 miles. I hadn't run anywhere near that much since the Disney Marathon in January. I thought I had screwed myself for GCT, but I recovered well and got to PPCB feeling good.

Got into PCB Thursday afternoon and checked into the lovely Boardwalk Beach "Resort". Went for a quick swim, which was good. Dinner with some TNT folks from Atlanta. Woke up Friday and did the TNT Team swim at 8am. Chowed at the awesome pancake breakfast and then rode the run course. Expo, chill, check bike in transition and then went to the TNT Pasta Party with Cathi and Wynne (Atlanta TNT-ers). Listened to Charlie Crawford rant about rules. Good stuff.Back to the room where I got organized for the morning. In bed by nine, right to sleep. Up at 4:30, went down to transition and laid my stuff out. Back up to the room for food and a shower. Nearly forgot my timing chip.Down to the beach at 6:30.
Event warmup:

Quick 200-or-so-yard swim.
Swim
  • 28m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Perfect swim. My goal was to go as easy as possible. Got into a good rythym immediately with no hassling, and settled in for the ride. Had a guy on my toes for the whole swim, but it didn't bother me. No one to draft off of. Caught the lots and lots of swimmers in the waves before me way before the first turn. Saw lots of fish!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

This transition sucked. I decided not to swim with my tri top, cause I didn't want it salty all day. I had my gels and spare tube/lever/CO2 in the back pocket, which all fell out when I went to put it on. Dumb.

Swim w/ tri top under wetsuit.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, my goal was to go easy on the bike...real easy. I only had one ride in training at this distance, so I was concerned that I wouldn't have the legs. HR was in the 120 range the whole way. Started off really easy, then built a little after 6 miles or so. Only problem was a tight right hip flexor that started acting up after 25 miles or so. It had me out of the saddle stretching it every 5-10 minutes or so. Minor hassle, though. Saw some dolphins out in the gulf on my way into T2. Oh...and I had to pee from the get-go. Held it until T2.

Gone harder. This bike was easy-peasy-japanesey.
Transition 2
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

Good transition. Slow time becasue I had to wait for the porta-john. Had to pee real bad.

Nothing. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.
Run
  • 2h 03m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. Felt grrreat out of T2 and was really happy with my first three miles, but then I slowed down for no particular reason (except I guess that I'd been racing for 4+ hours at this point). Felt really comfortable the whole run, just didn't have the gas to turn it up any. Stayed cool with cold sponges and ice in my hat.

Dunno...maybe I went too hard out of T2?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a third or a mile out to the TNT tent, had a couple of beers and cheered my team mates in. What an awesome day. Perfect conditions and I executed my race-day strategy perfectly. Woo hoo!

Also, post-race party was a blast. Met the legend, Sister Madonna Buder, had a few beers and made some new friends. Great weekend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Don't run marathon the week before a HIM. Spend more time on the bike.

Last updated: 2005-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:30 | 2112 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/47
Overall: 47/1800
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Long John
Course: Rectangular (paralellagramular, actually). Out 950 yards, right turn 200 yards, right turn 950 yards back to the beach
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:45:48 | 56 miles | 20.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/47
Overall: 593/1800
Negative split, kept HR real low.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back over mostly rough roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:03:22 | 13.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/47
Overall: 516/1800
8:25, 8:15, 8:48, 8:50, 9:09, 9:43, 9:29, 9:38, 9:40, 9:28, 9:44, 9:50, 12:15 (last 1.1+)
Course: OUt and back, lots of turns.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes