General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Square Lake Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-09-14 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2405574

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Subject: RE: Square Lake Triathlon : Official Thread
strolltroll - 2009-09-14 2:41 PM

Well, I did it. This was my first triathlon. Went fairly well. I did not reach my goal I posted titled, "Striving for Mediocrity" ...

...Will I do it again?.......I can't answer that right now.

Congrats on finishing your first tri!  You just swam in one of the cleanest lakes in the Twin Cities area.  Don't get used to it.  

That stinks about the bike.  I would ask for a partial refund.  I agree with you.  That's unacceptable.  It's one of the standard things a shop should do before letting a rental out of the shop.  My wife and I rented bikes for a few days in Park City, and those bikes were flawless.  I would probably think twice about renting from the shop you did again.

Take a look at this site.  Very reasonable bikes.  You could get set up with a fairly decent road bike for under $500.  

Bike course was rough.  I had a rough time even drinking from my aero bottle.  My wife flatted, but luckily it was a slow leak.  Tires were o.k. until I got home.

You did great!  Hang in there.  After you get the basics down and a little more experience, there are less nerves involved in racing, and a lot more FUN.  I love that course even though it is hilly.

Congrats again TRIATHLETE!

Edited by sparco 2009-09-14 3:04 PM

2009-09-14 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2335147

User image

Bronze member
Great meeting you Sparco. I had fun but i was dissapointed on my run time for my fifth tri this summer(my slowest but longest run segment). I train lots of bricks with 5 mile runs (maybe just too much for one summer took its toll) and do easily 1.5/minute per mile faster. I was not prepared for the hills on the bike and it hurt my run. One good thing is i was in the top 50-75 in transition times and the swim was decent. LAST in my age group. I have never been last but i raced to HR and i think this race had more experienced athletes than the other shorter sprints i did this year. I CAN ONLY IMPROVE so that is my goal. the 35-39 group has alot of athletes in their prime.

i might do a late season Duathlon if my new Velo Vie gets here but mainly train at the St Louis Park Lifetime.

Definately hooked on tri's. This was my first year and i think i am in for the long haul. Great people and its fun to challenge yourself.
2009-09-14 6:30 PM

User image

Bronze member
what happened to the advertised 18 mile race. Garmin said like 16.5 and i turned the corner to end of the bike. i have noticed this a few times this year at events. Yea, my derailed forced my chain off going into a downhill. First time that happened this year. Sucked having to jump off. i am sure it cost me a minute or two.
2009-09-14 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
I did notice on the official results, they changed the bike distance to 17 miles, I am not going to count my 20.2 MPH average towards my goal of 20 this year though because I think it was on the shorter side of 17 still.  

Congrats on the first tri, and Mark I hear ya on the 1.5 mins off on each mile.  If I would have been at that pace, I may just have placed in my AG.
2009-09-14 7:19 PM

Expert
Congrats to all! I did this race as well, and felt good about it. Placed top 5 in the Clydesdale division, out of 20 or so Clydes, so was very happy.

I love this course, even for its quirks. The bike can be rough riding in spots. The steps up to T1 don't feel good when you're trying to take a wetsuit off. The run hills really get to me. In general, it is organized a little "looser" than other races.

I think what I like about it is the challenge. The bike route has lots of hills, and the varying road surface just adds to the difficulty factor. The run, frankly, kicks my butt. Those hills might not be huge, but I don't train on anything like that. Those of you disappointed with your runs in this race, I've done 6 different courses in the area, and this run is by far the toughest run leg I've done.

And yes, distance on the bike was off... I actually get 16.44. Did you notice the sign turning off 95 that said "Square Lake Park, 2 miles"? When I saw that, i kicked it down on the bike knowing that the course was shorter than advertised. I usually try to pick up my pace the final 2 miles, and was glad I caught that.

The run leg used to be about short. With the course change this year, they actually did themselves a favor and now it is 5 miles as advertised.

Edited by Hazelmn 2009-09-14 7:21 PM
2009-09-14 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2406045

Hazelmn - 2009-09-14 7:19 PM  Did you notice the sign turning off 95 that said "Square Lake Park, 2 miles"?

Yes, I did, had plenty of time.

Be nice to be so fast that I might miss a street sign.Embarassed

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Square Lake Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3