Boise Aeros Tri Club
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 40m 16s
Overall Rank = 87/189
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/22
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30, breakfast of pancakes and coffee. 45 min drive to Emmett. T1 and T2 are seperated so setting up transitions is a pain. Started to feel a bit pressured for time, but ended up just fine. Cool, misty rain was falling at race start.
Event warmup:

Did several quick surges on land and a short HARD warm up in water. Then spent a few minutes floating on back-thinking good thoughts.
Swim
  • 34m 39s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

BEST SWIM ever. NO 'anxiety' attacks, no backstroke, no problems at all. Felt like I was able to race and not just survive. My sights for next years swim performance are MUCH more optimistic now. I'm very pleased.
What would you do differently?:

Wear different swim goggles-the Kaimens I grabbed were the womens version (same as men's small, but 'softer' colors). My race pics really highlight this pretty blue hue around my face. :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

T1 was a bit slow because the rain forced everyone to put stuff into bags. Of course, the bags get kicked and messed up. Just wanted to be smooooth and not forget anything. I was and I didn't.

Next year want to master the 'shoes on bike'/jump on bike move. Clipping into pedals is always an area of concern for me.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 19s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

As I was leaving T1 I realized I hadn't put my water bottle on bike. SHIT! No problem, I grabbed a bottle of water along the way. I did miss the HEED in the drink, but I don't know if it altered the course of events. Course marshall warned me about blocking.

20.9 mph/AVERAGE-Long Term Goal accomplished.

I remebered my bottles early, but got rushed at the start and forgot to fill them with water. I need LOTS MORE miles on the bike. By T2 I was pretty tired and legs were cramping during last 100 yrds.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

legs started cramping right at the end. I tried to stretch, but then ran out of road to get out of my shoes. Ended up running with shoes no. No big deal because I had parked close to the entrance. Rack was full so I couldn't rack bike by seat-had to kinda toss the bars over the top and snag brake levers.

Think ahead and get out of shoes before dismount.
Run
  • 51m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs started cramping on bike, so I was expecting the worst-never happened. Calf and right/upper thigh got "realll" close to siezing up, but never did. First lap went realy well-good pace, felt good and was looking forward to fast second lap. NEVER HAPPENED. I simply ran out of gas on lap two. Not enough training miles under my belt. I kept an OK pace going, but had nothing left for any significant surge late in the race.

Train more. Decided to run with the PI Surge shoes. Seems every time I wear the Streaks I get sore in the calf. Maybe not drinking enough calories on the bike (forgot bottle) played a part-but mostly, it was simply lack of longer training rides/runs.
Post race
Warm down:

bottle of water and cold bean burrito. Did a wee bit of stretching and answered questions at the Boise Aeros info booth.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of longer training rides. Lack of calories/carbs during bike ride.

Event comments:

I love this race. It was the place of my first ever-tri and it's the course that I can always compare my efforts too. I have two more races planned for this season-I'm gonna try and get better. I'm already pumped for next year.

Last updated: 2009-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:39 | 1640 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/189
Performance: Good
Suit: orca s1 fullsleeve
Course: Out and back triangle with finish line at the base.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:11:19 | 24.85 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Almost a "M" shaped course-T2 is downtown Emmett. Smallish rolling hills in some spots-one big climb at first turn around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:14 | 06.21 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: @ loop/out and back right through the middle of town, lots of turns, sheltered from wind.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes