Avon Rec Center
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 58s
Overall Rank = 2/200
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

I decided to race this sprint as a warm up for the Boulder 5430 Half Ironman the next day. with a short swim and ride my only thought was to not go to hard on the run so that I do not get hurt... More on that later.

Drew (Drewulu) came up from Denver to Race his new carbon race wheels and we woke up early so that we could get a sweet transition spot. We drove from East Vail to Avon and stopped at 7-11 and picked up some Gatorade and the best ever pre-race meal: Maple and Brown Sugar Pop Tarts. We were one of the first people in transition so we set up and then drove the bike course. I've biked it before and new that it had a long steep climb that pretty much defines the ride, but Drew did not. I'm sure it helped prepare him too!
Event warmup:

None. Ran into my friend who works at the Racquet Club where I swim, Tricia. Chatted with her and waited for the Sun to rise so my freezing feet could warm up. Transition was set up in a soccer field and the grass was wet and nearly frozen. At one point Drew and I ran to his Jeep so I could thaw my feet.
Swim
  • 08m 14s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Actual time in H2O was 8:03/11 second run to transition.

I had not swam in about a month and I could feel it almost immediately upon starting the swim. I sort of struggled through this one but knowing it was a short swim kept me going. When I got to the beach I stood up and was dizzy. I sort of stumbled to my bike...
What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was not smooth. I don't know what my time was but it wasn't bad, I just stumbled through it... There was a long run to the bike mount and I had trouble getting on my bike. Once on the bike I had trouble getting my feet into my shoes. I have decided that it is faster to put bike shoes on in transition than on the bike.

Shoes on in transition, not on bike
Bike
  • 27m 6s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 20.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Fastest bike spit of the day.

Although my average speed appears to be slow, I rode as hard as I could. The course had a huge climb and it was a very short course. Once I finally got my feet secured in my pedals, I started to hammer. About a mile in - at the turn onto hwy 6 - I saw Drew. I made a smart a$$ comment and pedaled down hwy 6 until the turn into the Singletree hills. At the first hill I started my climbing rhythm. I was surprised when some dude immediately passed me. I'm a cocky climber and I consider that my strength so when he passed me I just thought... If he is that good, let him go. Well he was a pretender not a contender because within a few hundred meters I reeled him in and dropped him like a republican politician! I hammered the hill to the top and then smoked the descent. Before long, I was racing down HWY 6. This was a very short bike course. The shortest I have ever raced; short but very challenging.

Well, not put the shoes on pedals in transition... other than that, I rode very strong. The following day I averaged 24.3 at the half Ironman so my avg mile per hour pace here is telling. This was not a fast course!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The bike course turns from the main road and onto the bike trail (the same one that finishes the Triple Bypass Ride). When I got on the bike trail I attempted to take my feet out of my shoes but, I was looking at my feet and I rode right off the bike path and into the grass. I had to power up a grassy hill and back onto the bike path. I then got my feet out of shoes and rode in.

Once in transition, I got my shoes on quickly and was out and on to the run course lickity split!

just leave my feet in shoes until the finish
Run
  • 19m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I had the second fastest run (3 second off the winner's pace). This was not a good run for me. As soon as I started running I knew that there was a problem. My feet were so cold that they literally felt like bricks. I even thought that my insoles were bunched up inside my shoes. I just started running at about 90 percent hoping that my feet would thaw. At about mile two the numbness went away but pain replaced the numbness. My cycling friend Ciero rode along me as I raced to the finish.

As I said above, this race was a warm-up for the Boulder Long Course the following day. The idea was to go hardish, but not to injure myself. After the race I looked at my foot. It was swollen in the soft flesh on the opposite side of my arch. I was very angry with myself. This was EXACTLY what I did not want to do! Later in the day, the tender and soreness turned black and blue. I don't know what caused the bruising, but it definitely slowed me down today... and would again during my Half Ironman the next day.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

foot injury

Event comments:

This is a pretty good race and a very nice venue. It is just in it's second year and with a racer limit of 200, has a nice hometown feel. Everything was pretty well done, but I did have some issues with directions. They either need to mark the course better or make sure that the volunteers communicate with the racers better.

The post race was very good with great food, but the awards ceremony was jacked. The forgot to give out overall awards until a number of us reminded them.

It was cool to race with my friend Drew. He completed his 3rd tri (all sprints), and is doing both Rattlesnake races (sprint/OLY) on Sat and Sun this week.

Oh, and it was nice to finish 2nd. I had the fastest bike/run combo again, but the 3 minutes that I lost on the swim was too much time for me to bridge. Familiar story!

Last updated: 2009-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:14 | 400 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Out and back... sort of an imperfect triangle in Nottingham Lake (the Avon ice rink) which is more of a pond than a lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: