General Discussion Triathlon Talk » feet going numb on the bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-12 2:08 PM

User image

Liverpool
Subject: feet going numb on the bike
After about 12 miles on the bike, the bottoms of both my feet just go numb. Is this a common occurrence while on the bike? It is really distracting, and not a little painful. I'm OK to run afterwards, but I'm thinking this much discomfort likely has a cause, and therefore a solution.
Thanks, folks!

2009-08-12 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2344384

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: feet going numb on the bike
It can be common, what are you wearing for shoes?

Something with a VERY stiff sole can minimize this.
2009-08-12 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
There is most likely a cause, but you may have to tweak a few things to figure it out. This isn't exactly like yours, but my toes on the outside of my right foot were going numb and I got an insert put into my shoe that helps equalize the pressure points on the ball of my foot and since then I haven't had any problems. Another possibility could be the cleat position if you are using clipless pedals. You might want to check your cleat position and possibly adjust it so you don't have any hot spots on your foot. My bike fitter looked at my cleats, they were fine, so that's when he suggested the insert. I hope you figure out what's causing your numbness because I know how irritating it is!
2009-08-12 2:52 PM

User image

Hmm, i have this issue, think it's because i wear my run shoes when i bike and it causes uneven pressure, don't have bike shoes and pedals yet.  I would be interested to hear what everyone else has to say about this too....
2009-08-12 3:06 PM

User image

Liverpool
Well, I forgot to mention that I'm wearing my running shoes. Maybe it's as simple as getting bike shoes. Guess I know what I'm asking for for Christmas!!
Thanks.
2009-08-12 3:26 PM

User image

Yeah,think i read in a triathlon book that biking with them on can destroy the cusioning in the shoes.  Wouldn't worry too much if you're not biking mega long distances tho.  I too am saving for bike shoes and pedals.... they're quite costly from what i see, but wiggle has a sale on if you're interested,some of them are half price....

2009-08-12 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2344523

User image

Elite
Texas
mollypocket - 2009-08-12 3:06 PM Well, I forgot to mention that I'm wearing my running shoes. Maybe it's as simple as getting bike shoes. Guess I know what I'm asking for for Christmas!!
Thanks.

Whatever the type of shoes, the numbness is often caused by compression of the nerves of the foot that run between the metatarsals. Cages that are too tight can sqeeze the metatarsals together causing compression of the nerve. Cycling shoes with poorly positioned cleats, or even mashing pedals with running shoes can create enough pressure to be a problem as well. Ultimately the best solution is to eliminate that cause by finding your optimal cleat position, or in your case at this point perhaps riding in a shoe with a harder sole or loosening up the cage straps.

If it starts to hurt when you're not cycling, there's a chance you may have developed a neuroma or irritation of the nerve to the point a scar has formed. It's easily treatable if you seek treatment early. Unchecked it's still treatable down the road, but the treatment is more invasive.

Maybe you can get your Christmas present early? Good luck.

2009-08-12 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
I know you mentioned you use running shoes, but just to add to the thread...

My friend had a similar issue using SPD pedals and mountain bike shoes.  Her feet would be numb within about 10 miles.  We moved the cleats back on the shoe (towards her heal more) and it helped.  She still has some issues with it, but it's not until 30+ miles instead of just 10.

I still use SPDs as well, I start to get a similar numbing sensation in my feet after about 60miles.  My shoes are about 8 years old though on top of being mountain bike shoes.  I think a road specific shoe and stiffer sole will solve the problem for me though.  There will be a larger platform between the pedal and shoe and with the stiffer sole a larger shoe to foot surface area so the weight distribution should be more spread out on my foot.

Hopefully some of this helps others
2009-08-12 4:42 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
Pull up on the upside of your pedal stroke instead of mashing the gears. Numbness is a great reminder that I am not pedaling in circles.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » feet going numb on the bike Rss Feed