Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Muskoka 70.3 Lodging Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-13 8:52 AM

Subject: Muskoka 70.3 Lodging
I've read so many different opinions on Deerhurst that I hoped to get an athlete's perspective on staying at the resort.  I was planning on camping at the provincial park but I now have a reservation at Deerhurst due to cancelations.  It is quite expensive however at $225/night. 

I wondered if the logistics of staying at the camp ground and making it to the resort for the race are as bad as it sounds (parking at airport and taking shuttles).

Is the resort really nice and will it make my life simpler and the weekend waaaay more enjoyable to justify the added cost?

Where do most athletes stay? 

Thanks for any information and for the excellent reports on the bike course.  I live in a very flat area so I am not looking forward to the hills.  At least I can mentally prepare for them and reset my expectations (no 40kph ave pipe dreams anymore). 

2009-08-13 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2345839

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
Subject: RE: Muskoka 70.3 Lodging

We stayed in a motel in Huntsville last year and we are splurging and staying at Deerhurst this year. I found that the shuttle bus system worked very well last year and was fairly convenient. Deerhurst is overpriced, but we have 2 young children with us so we decided to make it more fun for them. Having a room nearby in case it is cold and wet will make the event much more pleasant for families.

2009-08-13 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
I didn't race last year and am not racing this year but my boyfriend did/is. We stayed at Deerhurst last year and will be again this year.  Logistically it's super easy to be on the premises. If the transition and finish area are the same then then staying there is the way to go. I felt so bad for all the spectators who had to sit around in the crazy rainy day and try to find a way to stay dry.  I was so lucky I could go back to my room and keep dry there and then head out around the time I figured he would be coming back to transition. 

And when my boyfriend was done last year our room was just minutes away instead of trying to get out to a shuttle bus (the roads all around are pretty well occupied by the race).

The resort is nice. They have a gym, indoor pool, restaurants on site. We got/have again one of the sport suites so we can cook or just bring food.  I was training for a running race so i used the gym.  Didn't go to the spa or try to golf or anything but it's all there.

if you can swing the cost then it's worth it because you can't beat the convenience of being just a stone's throw from the transition area and race expo

Good luck at the race!
2009-08-14 8:24 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  Based on the responses, I think we will be staying there.  I am really looking forward to the race. 

If anyone has camped and has feedback, please let me know.  Otherwise, I am going for comfort and convenience. 

Man, it's coming up quick.  See you soon!
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Muskoka 70.3 Lodging Rss Feed