Georgia Multisports
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 22s
Overall Rank = 37/83
Age Group = 30-34 F
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

My sister and I drove down to Cordele on Friday and stayed in a hotel. I went to bed at a decent hour but only managed a so-so night of sleep. I got up just after 5 and took a shower. I had a cup of coffee, oatmeal, and 2 fig newtons. My stomach wasn't feeling great but I figured it would get better after eating and settle down. We got ready to go and left the hotel at 6, it took 10 or 15 minutes to get to the race site.

We arrived, parked and took all my stuff to transition. Then I went and found the bodymarkers and picked up my chip.
Event warmup:

I decided I was going to try to do a little warm-up before this race. (which I usually don't) I took the bike out to pick a good gear to start. I also rode down to the campground to find a bathroom so I didn't have to search and wait in line by transition. My other warm-up consisted of getting in the water to get a feel but we had to get out way before the first wave went off so the warm-up was negated by the 15-20 minutes I had to wait for my start.
Swim
  • 10m 32s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was, by far, one of the hardest wave starts I've ever done. There were women everywhere! The women were in the last wave and we were all together. We had waded in the water to start and was sort of near the front with Steph. I joked that I wanted to draft off her because I know she's faster than me - yeah, that didn't happen. We waited for the first 4 waves and then we were off. I was trying to sprint to get out and find clear water but that never happened. As soon as we started I was in a pack of women and was pretty much with them the whole time. I was breathing on my right side every 2 strokes. I never felt like I got a rhythm and felt like I was fighting my way through. I got kicked by a lot of women swimming breastroke.

Once we started, I could see water starting to leak in to the right side of my goggles. By the time I got to the orange buoy it was completely filled and my left side was fogged. Ugh, I could barely see where I was going. Luckily, I could see the huge yellow turn buoy so I made it to there, did the buoy turn and as I started swimming toward the other yellow buoy I let the water out. This is how the swim went until the finish. It filled again and I could barely see where the finish was except the big inflatable at the start. I was in a pack of swimmers the entire time. I made it to where we could stand and ran out of the water.

The time includes the long run up the hill and around to transition.

5/9 AG
33/83 O/A (this number will include all women, including Athenas)
What would you do differently?:

I don't know except not swallow water. Ick. I'm disappointed this swim didn't go better. I think I have decent speed, for a triathlete, in the pool but it hasn't transferred to open water this year. I can swim sub 2:00/100 meters in the pool all day but have yet to do that in a race this season. It's frustrating because of the 3 sports, swimming used to be my strength.

Looking at the results, there were only 23 out of 83 women who were under 10:00 for the swim. I felt like I was so slow based on my time but I was definitely in the middle - that would explain why I was in the pack the whole time.
Transition 1
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

An awesome transition. My rack was right by the entrance from the swim. I slipped my feet in to my shoes, put on my sunglasses and helmet and was off. I have 2 straps and a rachet on my shoes but I left the rachet open while the 2 straps were closed so I didn't have to mess with them. I ran with my bike, got to the mount line and was off. I left the rachet open until I was on the bike and moving and got it buckled.

Nothing.

1/9 AG
2/83 O/A
Bike
  • 40m 29s
  • 13.6 miles
  • 20.16 mile/hr
Comments:

For this race I had planned to hammer the bike and try to hang on for the run. At the beginning my HR was high but knew I could get through it. I started out fast and tried not to let up. At the very beginning, a "fast" girl from my rack passed me (I had a faster T1) and my gut reaction was to drop the hammer and tuck in behind her. Then I had a head check and knew I couldn't do that, drop the roadie mentality. I had to let her go and didn't see her again.

My stomach was flip-flopping but thought it would settle down, it didn't. It never settled completely but for most of the ride it was fine. I was passing people, mostly men because they had all started before me. I stayed aero when I could, took the turns fast and hammered it. I was hammering up the hills too.

I tried to take a couple drinks of my Gatorade Endurance (my back-up hydration, REI was out of Gu2o!) and it was awful. After one drink my mouth was so sticky. Then I was mad I didn't have a 2nd bottle of water for a back-up. I tried to take a second drink and my stomach was not having it. About mile 9 I started heaving, trying to keep from throwing up I was spitting. I was on a straight part of the road that was sort of flat and my speed dropped. I tried to keep my speed up but had to slow down because I really thought I was going to throw up. It finally passed and I kept going. We made the final turn just after mile 10 and I felt better. When I reached about mile 12 or 12.5 it happened again. I started heaving but we were close to finish so I tried to keep my speed up.

I passed a women I'd been leap-frogging with and said we've got to stop meeting like this, her response was thanks for pushing me. Okay, well I didn't know I was so I sort of laughed. (I didn't mean it in a mean way so I hope she didn't take it that way! I didn't know she'd pushed because of me!)

I made the final turn in to the resort, got to dismount line, got off and ran to my rack.

1/9 AG
12/83 O/A

Bring water in addition to whatever sports drink I have. I only had 2 sips of fluid during the whole ride. Maybe yell at the dude who was blatantly drafting.

My goal for the bike was to go under 40 minutes but since I averaged over 20mph I'm happy with this split.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

I ran to my rack put my bike up. I fumbled with how to take my shoes off. I was going to try to pull them off (without undoing the buckle) but then decided just to undo the rachet. The hesitation made me lose time. I put on my running shoes, skipping socks and ran out of T2.

Not fumble with my shoes. This was another good transition but I lost some time.

5/9 AG
26/83 O/A
Run
  • 33m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran out of transition, grabbed a cup of water and realized I didn't have my race belt. Shit, I gotta grab it. I'd gotten less than 100 feet and I turned around. I told the volunteer I had to go back in to transition to grab my number so she'd know why I was running around the timing mat. I had decided to skip wearing my hat and just wear my sunglasses so I'd forgotten it because it was laying under my hat. Stupid mistake.

My legs felt fine, breathing was okay but my stomach was cramping. Blech. I glanced at my watch and knew right away that my goal time wasn't going to happen. I ran to the first turn-around (which felt like forever!) and saw Steph B. running the other direction. Then I saw the other Stephanie and she was behind me. I didn't know how far I'd run because I totally missed the mile marker signs. Grabbed water at the water table and felt a little better.

A girl in my AG passed me and started running right in front of me and I tried to match her cadence and I couldn't do it for long. I was so ready to be done. Made the turn to go back to the 2nd turn around felt defeated, it still looked so long. I got a side stitch and had to walk, that was when Stephanie passed me. She asked if I was okay and I nodded and she ran on.

By the time I made it to the next water table I really wanted some water. They had tons of cups ready with Gatorade but none with water. The volunteer was trying to pour water while I waited but was fumbling with cups and I tried to wait but changed my mind and decided f*** it - ran on without it.

When I knew I was close I tried to pick it up but it wasn't happening. I felt like I finished strong but I was spent. Stephanie must have known something wasn't right because as soon as I crossed the finish line she asked me if I was okay and asked if wanted some water. I nodded and she brought me a cup. Thank you, Stephanie!

8/9 AG
65/83 O/A

Run faster but I think this is the best run I had in me that day.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around, found my sister, picked up my shirt and tried to locate water. At the food table I picked up a banana but the only drinks they had were cans of Pepsi. Um, no thanks. They also had sausages on buns but the smell made my stomach turn so I didn't stick around there very long. Finally found more water in a cooler by the finish line.

I walked around, talked to Stephanie and met her parents. Then I found the Bachmans and chatted with them for a little bit. I was ready to go so we didn't stick around for the awards. I gathered my stuff and we headed back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides my stomach issues, I don't know. I feel like I've been running more lately and going in to this race I felt like I'd be able to run a sub-30 minute 5k. (I did at my race in May) This was definitely a zone 4 effort and I feel like I pushed as hard as I could and I just fell apart on the run. My "everything is firing on all cylinders" goal time was 1:15, my "good race" goal was 1:20 and my "not so great" goal was 1:25 and I didn't even hit that one.

Did I push too hard? Did I swallow a ton of water? Did I mix the Gatorade Endurance too stong? The answer is probably yes to all 3.

low HR: 123
avg HR: 184
max HR: 195

I am unhappy with my running in races, especially this season. I am undecided if I want to work on it through the winter or give up triathlons and focus on the bike. If I run or not, I seem to have the same outcome.

Event comments:

This is a great race, well organized and a good course. I would do it again.

Last updated: 2009-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:32 | 400 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 33/83
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Rectangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:29 | 13.6 miles | 20.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 12/83
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A large loop that followed the lake for the first 5 or 6 miles. A few ups and downs, not as flat as I expected.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:43 | 03.1 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 65/83
Performance: Below average
Course: Out on the roads inside the park with 2 turn-arounds.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-16 11:11 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: Georgia Veterans Triathlon

2009-08-16 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2351405

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Georgia Veterans Triathlon

I am so sorry - I had no idea that you were having such tummy problems!  Your HR was 195 - holy cow!  I laughed out loud when you said that about the sausages because when Doug asked if I wanted some of his, it made me gag.  They would have been really great on another day - we bought some on the way out so I'll let you know about them.

2009-08-16 4:32 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

I ate four sausages!

Mmmmm.  Pork.

It was good to see you and hopefully we'll do some more races together.

2009-08-17 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2351758

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
It sounds like you had a tough race, but you pushed through it and gave it everything you could - great job! From looking at the results, I would guess the swim was a little long too - you never know what those distances will actually be. Very strong bike, despite the stomach issues you were battling. The run is always the part that suffers most when you're not feeling well, so I think you did a great job pushing through! Everyone has races that don't go as planned, so use this to learn from and be proud of how tough you were despite how you were feeling.

On the tummy issues - I have struggled with that for years and it's no fun at all. I have found what works for me when just running or just biking is completely different than what works from bike to run. The best suggestion is practice nutrition during bricks and see what's making you the most comfortable. You might try skipping nutrition altogether for sprints (just water) - I tried that this weekend and it seemed to work okay too.
2009-08-19 12:41 PM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Wow!  Lot's of challenges you overcame on this one.  Nothing will throw you off more than when tummy issues strike.  Here's a reminder -- despite all that, you had a great T1/T2, strong bike, and when you finished you felt like you left it all on the course.  Can't ask for more than that.  

The swimming is a big downer for me too.  I am still searching for that OWS race that translates into what I do in the pool.

Congrats on chaulking up another one!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgia Veterans Triathlon Rss Feed