General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fall Creek Falls Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-17 12:26 PM

Subject: Fall Creek Falls
would love to see a race report or even just some comments from someone who did this event.  I am wanting to add it next year but would like to know more.  Bike and run course info would be great.

Thanks!

2009-08-17 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2353403

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Fall Creek Falls

Funny, spouse and I were at our 2nd grader's "meet & greet" the teacher tonite at his elementary school. One dad in the class had on an FCF t-shirt. I asked him when he did the race and he replied, "Yesterday, and I'm tired!"

2009-08-18 8:41 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
I volunteered at the race and plan on doing it next year. I was in the water on a kayak so I can't comment on the bike and run. There is about a 200 yard run up hill to transition from the water though. Most people brought there shoes to run to transition. I did drive the bike course and there was a couple of hills but not to bad. A typical tennessee road.
2009-08-19 9:34 PM

User image

Regular
memphis
I'll give a report....

This course was pretty tough with all the hills and the heat. This was also my first race where I had to setup my gear listening to bluegrass blaring overhead. Not great music for getting pumped up (they did switch it after a while) But, I looked around and when I realized that the majority of people did in fact have their teeth, I felt much better. I laso learned that camping and racing DONT MIX!!

I came from memphis to do this race and The mile swim looked much further than Memphis in may, I guess because the lake was much bigger. Anyway, the swim was an in-the–water wave start with no wetsuit. It was an Okay swim for me, clean lake but hard to sight the exit when you are sighting directly into the sun. The transition was a quarter of a mile up a fairly steep hill so I put on my running shoes coming out the water and ran up the hill. Didn't care too much for this,exerting yourself running uphill after the swim doesnt go well with having a fast bike start

The bike course was an out and back with mostly rolling hills with a climbing elevation to the turn around. I was looking forward to going faster on the return leg but the 15 mph head wind had other ideas. Not sure if spandex is legal out there since several people on the bike leg where staring like we just came out of a UFO. I also heard that there were issues with loose dogs that lead to one"bad accident"

The run was OK, mostly shade paved trail with the second half having some rolling hills. The last mile was tough, not much shade and running uphill to the finish line.

I finished in 2:38:12 10th in the 35-39 age group and overall 55th out of 276. I probably won't do this race again. The course was really scenic and nice but there seemed to be a lack of support and spectators. It's a small race and it seems to be growing, but it feels a bit out of place in that neck of the woods, especially the bike. I would give this race a 6/10. Hope this helps
2009-08-20 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

Great report, Justin! We go to FCF several times a year just to get the heck out of Nashville (we have property in Crossville). I've never raced it though. With the uphill out of the water and uphill to the finish line, sounds like a tough course!  Nice finish you had though!

2009-10-22 2:56 PM

User image

Limbo
Coming in late to this one.  I did this race both last year and this and loved it both years.  I love the bluegrass music, find the venue not very hilly at all and find the staff and support tend to be friendly and helpful.  The run course being shaded about the whole way really helps, though I agree the last half mile being uphill is brutal.  I think that's why I like it.   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fall Creek Falls Rss Feed