Games of Acadiana
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 57s
Overall Rank = 16/156
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 107/5
Pre-race routine:

The usual: wake to bagels and honey with my coffee. Shower, shave, and dress, then dirve the 20 minutes tot he race site.

New transition setup on the other side of the pool from previous years. Equal number of ins and outs on either end of the transition area, so I picked an end spot on a rack in the middle.
Event warmup:

No warm-up other than extensive BSing with the other triathlets and walking back and forthe to the restroom.
Swim
  • 03m 40s
  • 200 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

First several lengths went well, good turns under the ropes, breathing was fine. Didn't pass or get passed by anyone, was just thinking about how well-seeded everyone was, when I ran into a cluster of like six people on the third-to-last-turn. Made my way through that, as did two other guys, then the three of us played tag the final 75 meters.
What would you do differently?:

Not encounter the traffic jame? Train more, for sure.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

This wasn't a chip-timed race, so transition times were lumped in with the bike times. I did have my bike split from my computer, so I deducted that, then guessed at 30 seconds for T2. The remainding 1:27 I'm calling T1, more of a guestimate than anything.

T1 includes a longish (~200 yards?) run from the pool to the transtion area. Once I got to the rack, helmet on, grabbed the bike and left. No problems, fairly smooth.

Maybe run faster, but I find if I'm too winded I lose time in the actual transition. Six of one, half dozen of the other, maybe, but I'd rather have less exertion and a cleaner transition.
Bike
  • 21m 15s
  • 8.25 miles
  • 23.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Just a note that on the combined T1/Bike/T2 times I was second overall in the whole race, right behind the overall winner (local cycling stud half my age) and two spots in front of the women's overall winner (state criterium and time trial champion.

Went at it hard most of the time, going out I was on 25-26mph, coming in it was 24-25mph due to the breeze, or maybe a slight incline. Way too many turns to have my average reflect that, though.

Nothing, this is about as hard as I want to push on a short course when I have to run after.

Only 3 seconds slower than my PR from 2006.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Again, time esimated wusing the WAG (Wild Ass Guess) method.

Came in to T2 with another triclub member who's in the age group ahead of me, and left right behind him. He rides in his running shoes (modified toe clip platform that clips into his pedals), so he doesn't have to put on shoes in T2. I was at most a second or two slower than him putting on my running shoes.

Nothing. All went like clockwork.
Run
  • 16m 5s
  • 1.9 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Watch my older triclub buddy walk away from ,e the whole run, his run was a full minute faster than mine. Run still not where I want it to be. Had a few younger guys pass me, but no one near my age group, Turned on the final stretch on Reinhardt into the sun, could not see the finish line. Pushed a little harder but sidn't know how ard to go untli the final 50 yards.

Still working on the run. Achilles problem keeps me from putting in the miles otr the intensities I need to improve.
Post race
Warm down:

Refreshments, more BS, changed clothes, got awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, age, too much weight, not enough training. You know, the usual excuses.

Event comments:

Good little race for a great cause, perfect race for beginners, and there were quite a few of those. New RD, he did a decent job but needs to work out some bugs. I really wish thye'd go to chip timing with the transition splits, but the RD insisted on finishing at Cajun Field, away from the start. Timer couldn't accomodate that with the chips.

Overall, a good race and an annual tradition for us.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:40 | 200 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 77/156
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Time trial start, snake swim, up one lane, down the other, for eight lengths.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:21:15 | 08.25 miles | 23.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 2/156
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: I describe this as a crit course: eight turns per four-mile loop, seven 90s and a 180, sixteen total turns over the route. Advertised at 10 miles, but everyone's computer read ~8.25.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:05 | 01.9 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 39/156
Performance: Average
Course: New course: Exit right on Cajundome, then right on Johnston, over a coulee then right on St. Christopher into an older, shaded subdivision. A few turns in there, then you come out on N. College behind Albertson's. Right on N. College to Cajun Field, then about a quarter mile up Reinhardt to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-17 3:26 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: Games of Acadiana Triathlon

2009-08-17 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2353994

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
Subject: RE: Games of Acadiana Triathlon
Cute picture!  Kiss

Wink Oh yeah, great job!!!!
2009-08-18 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2353994

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Games of Acadiana Triathlon
Darn that swim and run getting in the way to your overall victory!

Great job.  Congrats on the race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Games of Acadiana Triathlon Rss Feed