General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Stevens, Washington
United States
WTC (World Triathlon Corporation) (Ironman 70.3)
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 53m 30s
Overall Rank = 737/882
Age Group = Clyde 40-45
Age Group Rank = 532/592
Pre-race routine:

Up early at the Day's Inn in Everett. Out the door by 5:20, in Lake Stevens by 5:45 and thanks to my wife volunteering to be a transition area marshall, we got primo parking right next to the transition area.
Event warmup:

Not much except paddling around in the little inlet a bit before my wave
Swim
  • 47m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

What a mess! It was foggy for the start which wasn't bad except you couldn't see any buoys. Luckily there was a rope about 5 feet deep that the buoys ran on that you could use to sight. Unluckily, everyone was using it so it was a brawl on the rope. I stayed about 5' to the right of the buoy and still got mugged. The fast women in the wave after mine were the most aggressive.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. That would mean more pool time though....
Transition 1
  • 05m 30s
Comments:

I felt like I had swallowed half of Lake Stevens by the end. Very bloated and that awful lake water taste in my mouth. Took my time getting changed and sorted out. By the time I got out of transition felt better but still bloated.
Bike
  • 3h 26m 16s
  • 58 miles
  • 16.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Still feeling bloated. That was the theme of my whole race really. Had to stop at a porta potty around mile 20 or where the second water stop was. There was a line. No problem peeing but still very gassy. Eating and drinking fine. Uphills were just okay but descending was awesome. No speedo so I don't know but I blew past a lot of people on the downhills. Got slowed down by an ice cream truck right before transition.

More hill training. Taking 3 weeks off training from July 1st from getting my tonsils removed and my nose fixed didn't help either.
Transition 2
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

I was getting off my bike when the announcer was welcoming Michellie Jones in from her race. Yes, she finished the same time I started running. Jeez.
Run
  • 2h 30m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Still a lot of bloat and gas which had me hit a couple of porta potties again. Never got rid of it during the race and it caused a lot of cramping in my abs which contributed to cramping in my legs. I was able to keep a steady pace. Mile 3 was done in 9:40 (after porta potty stop #1), the rest were in the 10:30 to 11:30 region.

More run training.
Post race
Warm down:

Does collapsing under the pizza table count? Basically, that's what I did. Oh, and stopped at an Irish Pub on the way back to Everett for a Guinness, the world's best recovery drink. :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, training, heat, cramps, bloating, do I need to go on? :-)

Event comments:

The swim started 10 minutes late. I think it was due to the fog. It seemed like this caused them to push the waves closer together which didn't help slower swimmers like me at all. My wife was volunteering and she noted that they were short volunteers everywhere. Some just left when they wanted to. All in all though, I thought the event was done pretty well. I would do it again.

Last updated: 2009-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:30 | 2112 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/592
Overall: 0/882
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Reverse Triangle. Followed rope line
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:26:16 | 58 miles | 16.87 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: two loops
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:30:15 | 13.1 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-17 6:26 PM

User image

Olympia, WA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens

2009-08-17 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2354359

User image

Veteran
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens
Congrats!  I agree, the uphills were miserable, but there's nothing like bombing down those long downhills!

Hope you get the nutrition sorted out, it sucks to be limited by stomach issues instead of fitness. 
2009-08-17 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2354359

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Wow, the pros are scary fast!  That is why they are pros.  But us regular folks have much more endurance and choose to stay out there and enjoy the day, right??

Very nice job out there....maybe you should do the Grand Columbian in Sept so that you have 2 HIMs this year, just for fun. Plus, I'd be there. 

2009-08-17 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2354383

User image

Olympia, WA
As tempting as that would be, and I mean very tempting indeed, I'm already down for the Disneyland half marathon (thanks to my kids signing me up!) at the beginning of September and Black Hills tri mid September. :-)

Are you going to be doing the Seattle half marathon in November?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens Rss Feed