Saguaro Velo
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Mens (Cat 5)
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45 A.M. after sleeping on a friends couch in Tucson, I must have been in a bit of a daze, because for some reason it took 45 minutes to eat half a bagel, and get dressed. I arrived about 6:15, registration ended at 6:30 and registered getting the last spot available for the 20k.
Event warmup:

Spend about 20 Mins going up and down the road N of the course, Plenty to get the blood flowing and realize there was a decent headwind.
Bike
  • 37m 10s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.07 mile/hr
Comments:

My first ever TT, so I didn't quite know what to expect. Definitely a more hardcore crowd than at your average running or multisport event. I've never seen so much carbon fiber in my life. I only saw one bike there other than my own that didn't have aero bars, and most people were riding TT bikes with disc wheels. It was a little intimidating.

I felt great about my own effort. My initial hope was to top 18mph, but with recent training data I was secretly hoping to get close to 20mph, which I accomplished just barely. I've got a lot to think about and a lot of ideas for getting faster for next time.

There was a definite headwind on the way out which seemed to slow everyone down a bit, but the ride back was nice and fast. This went well with my training, since I tend to pick rides with hills at the start, and downhill toward the end.
What would you do differently?:

I decided to do the 20k without water. Next time I think I'll bring a little bit. I also need to decide what to do equipment wise, I've been holding off upgrading my roadie since I'm shopping for a TT specific bike, but it may be several months before I buy anything. I may need to consider a FF seatpost and aero bars for my current ride.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

No water, racing without all the right equipment, and of course the engine could use more work.

Event comments:

Good race, no frills, no T-Shirt, just biking. It was a very hardcore crowd, but everyone was nice and the volunteers all did a good job.

Last updated: 2009-08-18 12:00 AM
Biking
00:37:10 | 12.43 miles | 20.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Flat, Out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough