livestrong.org
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 53s
Overall Rank = /6500
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Get up at 3 am. Nurse baby. Throw on bike clothes and leave Annapolis at 3:30 am. Tell hubby which way to drive. Fail to sleep.
Event warmup:

Got there in plenty of time. Got packets, got ready, rode over to staging. Found our Team Fatty! and cooled our heels while they decided to delay the start 30 min b/c there were so many participants (6500)! No nerves, as it was not a race and I set no goals.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 53s
  • 21.9 miles
  • 14.30 mile/hr
Comments:

First 9 miles was like being in the peloton. I got to start at the front with my team because we won the most members/most money raised. It was exciting and fast and fun. Met up with hubby again at the first rest stop. Met our team co-captain, Philly Jen. Then a mile or so later, I had to turn off from the main course onto the 20 mile course. Then it was just me, all alone, so sad. (All the other 20 milers were way back.) I did encounter one other woman from my team and we chatted a bit. Then on a downhill, I just had to go fast so I didn't see her again.
What would you do differently?:

I think I would have been fine doing the 45 mile ride. But really, me & hubby just need to not do the same rides/races anymore so one of us can do baby care.
Post race
Warm down:

Put bike away. Pump breast milk. Eat. Cool my heels for several hours waiting for hubby to finish the 70 mile ride.

Major drawback to 20 mile distance: finishing at the same time as all the 5k walkers.

Event comments:

It was bittersweet to see so many participants who have all raised money for the fight against cancer. Awesome to see survivors in great shape. Very sad to see the "In Memory" cards people had on, especially the little boy who had on "In Memory of my big brother." :( So be prepared to tear up lots if you do this ride!

Last updated: 2008-12-08 12:00 AM
Biking
01:31:53 | 21.9 miles | 14.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/6500
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Very pleasant 20 mile course. Flat to rolling.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy