General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit by a car today... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2005-05-16 4:24 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: Hit by a car today...
I entered one of those groups that we all hope we never enter today. I was hit by a car while cycling in a race organized by out local tri-club. The course was not closed but it is on a VERY well travelled bike/jogging path. I had a green light, and a older couple out on their Sunday morning drive ran the stop sign before the bike path. I saw them and tried to stop-too late. The car hit my front wheel and the bike went out from under me. I was on the hood-the car stopped thowing me off the hood a good 10-15 feet. The guy racing behind me siad it looked pretty bad.
I was lucky- the only problem with the bike is the front wheel is out of true (potato chip wobble not taco shell). I'm gonna take it in and have a mechanic check the whole thing out though. All in all not too bad.
Oh ya I came away with a few bruises and a big adrenylin rush. It was scarey when it happened.
It's true the first thing you check is the bike.
Here's my advice to everyone. I forgot the number one rule-don't assume the car will stop. I should have slowed down sooner. Oh ya- don't forget the big rule-always wear a helmet. I had one on this time, but I sometimes skip it on training rides-but I hit the hood pretty hard and I am ok. I will never forget a helmet again.
So now I can get in all those discussions that cyclists have about getting hit by a car.

2005-05-16 4:37 AM
in reply to: #158050

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Hit by a car today...
Wow...nice to hear that you only got some bruises. My first tri is in July...is this normal for vehicles to be on the bike course? I am careful of traffic during training on my local roads...but I have envisioned the bike portion of the actual triathlon free from cars.
2005-05-16 6:51 AM

User image

Expert
Thankfully you're alright. Last saturday a car clipped my left pedal. He had plenty of room to pass on the left, but decided to try and pass me without changing lanes. I veered to the right, off of the road and into the soft shoulder. I ended up in the guard rail. Of course the car kept on going. I doubt he had insurance. Quite a few cars don't here. Anyway, I got a nice gash on my ankle, and the only thing wrong with the bike was that the tube was split and the front rim had a scratch in it. I feel very lucky. Better luck on your next race.
2005-05-16 6:56 AM

I did a bike race in February here in Egypt. On a training ride a couple days before two Italian cyclists were killed. Drivers here are notoriously bad. We usually ride early in the morning and are always aware of everything around, but you just can't predict every move a driver is going to make.

Glad to hear you are o.k. and this is a good reminder for everyone to ride safe and alert.
2005-05-16 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
You should get the old guy's insurance company to buy you a new wheel, if not a new bike.  Glad you are okay.
2005-05-16 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

Be VERY cautious about the bike. There can be cracks INSIDE that the bike shop can't see. Get the guy's insurance to buy you a new one.

I'm SO glad you had a helmet on. Hope that you will get a new one and ALWAYS wear it.

My son joined that hit by a car club a couple of years ago. You and he are proof that riding carefully has NOTHING to do with it. The idiot driving the car can hit you before you know what's happening.

2005-05-16 8:03 AM

Champion
I'm with Karl and Nuke...press the insurance company, you should be looking at an entire new bike out of the deal. The bike shop can supply a statement that there could be hidden frame damage which would necessitate replacement of the entire bike. Glad you're OK!
2005-05-16 8:19 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree with the other members.  Have the bike inspected thouroughly, as well as your helmet, shoes, pump, jersey, etc, and decide whether repairs are in order or if you should buy a new bike.  I don't believe in suing for the sake of making a profit but I am adamant about seeking restitution for whatever loss I may incur due to someone else's negligence.  The driver of the car is obviously in the wrong in this instance, thus his insurance should cover all the damages.  Don't short change yourself either!  I had an accident in 1998 and my bike looked like it only had a bent rear wheel.  After an inspection, it turned out that the frame with twisted, the rear derailleur was fried, the wheels were too far gone, my saddle was ruined and the handle bars were broken. It was cheaper to get a new bike than to fix the old one.  I also asked for and received payment for new shoes, a new jersey, a new helmet, and new sunglasses!  I hope that you got an accident report filled out.
2005-05-16 8:40 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
i am so glad you are alright. i'll forth (fifith?) the comment about the insurance. if you were driving and had a fender bender, you wouldn't think twice about it, right? hope the bike checks out okay anyway. funny how we check the bike first. i have never been hit, but swerved out of the way of an oncoming car one winter, hit black ice, and crashed, breaking and dislocating my elbow. first thing i did was push the bike to the safety of the curb with my feet. anyway, glad you are alright and thank goodness for your helmet.
2005-05-16 9:16 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

JoeCoolSMB - 2005-05-16 4:24 AM I entered one of those groups that we all hope we never enter today. I was hit by a car while cycling in a race organized by out local tri-club. The course was not closed but it is on a VERY well travelled bike/jogging path. I had a green light, and a older couple out on their Sunday morning drive ran the stop sign before the bike path. 

It is my understanding that the organizers of a race are responsible for their participants safety at all times. Even if this means that the race takes place on roads which are not close to the traffic. It is their duty to place volunteers with signs directing traffic and in dangerous traffic intersections it is required to have police. So my question is: Does the race was an officially Triathlon/ride race… by official I mean that the event was advertised and you paid and entrance fee to participate, or it was more of a Sunday tri-club group ride?

2005-05-16 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with the above posts. I would have the bike checked out thoroughly and have the insurance company take care of it. That's what they are for.

2005-05-16 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

Cycling is dangerous everytime we get on that bike & ride w/traffic...I know I have a tendency to "focus on the back wheel" in group rides vs staying completely aware & your story should remind us do every ride w/safety in mind. I'm glad you're OK!

2005-05-16 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Glad you're not hurt.
2005-05-16 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
I'm so glad you are ok! How very scary for you.
2005-05-16 11:22 AM
in reply to: #158211

User image

Elite
San Diego
Matt,
I am glad to hear you are OK. I agree you should have the old guy pay for evertyhing.
I was going to do that race but opted to train instead. One of the main reasons I didn't do the race was because it was in a new location and I wasn't sure of the area. Looks like I made the right choice
For what it's worth to the other BTers it wasn't an organized race. It was a tri club race free to members of the club. They try to have the races where there is little traffic, but it only takes one car to ruin a race.
Again Matt,
I'm glad you are OK.
Tom
2005-05-16 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
JoeCoolSMB - 2005-05-16 4:24 AM
It's true the first thing you check is the bike.

Glad to know you are ok.....

2005-05-16 3:28 PM

New user
Wow I'm amazed that your okay. I would state my luck with bikes but I don't want to jinx it. I echo the last few statements though about getting the whole bike checked out. Hope you can get back out and riding as soon as possible.
2005-05-16 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Gif-sur-Yvette

Don't compromise on the helmet. If it was hit, and protected you, it fulfilled its life mission. Now it's a new one, mandatory for good caution. Helmets were not made to sustain repeated shock and may fail in to protect a person's head if in another accident.

Never, ever ride without a helmet. I always wear one even if I am only promenading with the family or friends. It's your equivalent to a car safety belt, wear it all the time.

Good to know you are OK.

2005-05-16 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somerville
Wow, I am gald you're OK as well. I have come pretty close, but havent joined your club yet, and I know how scary just getting close is! Yeah, go get some new gear from the guy and as we said in the army, "Stay alert, stay alive!"

Be safe!
2005-05-16 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Little advice from a State Trooper:

1 - Make sure you have a police report. Unlikely, but they (or their representative) could come back on you for scratching their car, claim you caused them personal injury, etc. You may still be able to file a report.

2- If you have any stiffness, get checked out medically. Consider "soft tissue" damage as an injury (even though the ER doctors won't). A chiro or message therapy may be in order.

3- Do not sign a waiver from their insurance company (they will offer you one and offer a small cash settlement probably) until you are 110% sure you are NOT injuried in any way. Sometimes soreness is delayed.

4- Get the witness's name, address, phone number, etc. Ask the police to interview or call him/her if #2 (above) is the case.

5- Consider memoralizing the location of the sun at the time of the crash, weather, view obstructions, condition of the traffic lights, road markings, and taking pictures of the crash scene.

I'm concerned by the statement your witness made - "it looked pretty bad."
2005-05-16 5:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Disclaimer:  This ended up being longer than I planned.  BY NO MEANS am I implying that anyone on here deserved to get hit or was doing anything wrong if they got hit.  Just sharing a lesson someone learned years ago......M

Am I allowed to join in the discusssion if I was on the "other" side of the fence?  Don't hate me because I hit someone on a bike...let me finish first.

First of all, glad to hear you "feel" ok but you deffinately need to get yourself and the bike checked out and document everything.

I just wanted to share a brief story to remind everyone to make sure they ALWAYS obey traffic laws just as cars are supposed to do.  Obviously in an emergency you may need to break some to save yourself but I am speaking in general.  Running stop signs and weaving between stopped cars is dangerous and gives us a bad name.

I was driving to the local Las Vegas bike shop (on a learner's permit with my Mom as a passenger) in my parents car late in the afternoon.  Approaching a major intersection (Rainbow & Westcliff for you LV natives) there was a long long of cars stopped waiting to turn left.  Additionally there was a long line of cars waiting to turn right.  I was in the middle between those two long lines of cars and slowing for a red light up ahead.  Before I got to the intersection the light changed to green so I began to accelerate again when a kid on a BMX bike shot out from the row of stopped cars in front of me.  I wasn't right on top of him so it wasn't "too" close and once he was clear I stepped on the gas again to get out of the way of the people traveling behind me.  As I sped up, his friend zipped out in front of me with about a car length of warning.

Skidding to a stop with him and his bike up on our windshield we watched him roll and flip off the hood.  Bottom line, he and his "friend" (who left him there) both ran a red light and were cutting across at other than the intersection.  Fortunately, he wasn't hurt too bad, my Mom is an RN, the car behind had a Paramedic, another car next to us had an Attorney (is that good?) and there were lots of witnesses.  After our police report was finished and he was all checked out we gave him a ride home (no...we aren't that nice....we wanted to verify where he lived).

Ended up that his parents insurance had to cover the expenses of the vehilce repairs.  I am glad he didn't get hurt and I can only hope that he learned an important lesson that day.

Wear your helmet and obey the law.  Ride like everyone out there wants to hit you.

Michael

2005-05-16 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Niagara Falls, Ont

good to hear you're ok. thats the number one thing.

here's number two. sue his a$$ off. follow the troopers advice and take him for what he's worth. this may sound like a terrible thing to say, but i've been thru this same situation myself. i tangled with a car on my bike two years ago and ended up in court (he lost!).

it sucks, but its gotta be done.........

2005-05-16 7:24 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
So glad you are OK.  The bike/wheel can always be replaced.  It sounds really scary.  I do hope your bike is OK too, but its more important that you were safe.  Glad you were wearing your helmet too.  Take care -SMO
2005-05-16 11:32 PM

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
Matt!!!! I'm so glad you're ok! 40 years from now, you can tell your grandkids stories about how you got hit by a car on their dad's birthday. Hope your bike is ok soon so we can go out on some practice SDI rides. Shoot me an email when your bruises and your bike heal

ps- Told you....should've done Saturday's race with me
2005-05-17 12:31 AM
in reply to: #158051

User image

Expert
MD
Not sure if anybody actually answered your question.

Every triathlong I've been in has been on roads open to traffic. Some are actually in fairly busy traffic. There is usually volunteer and State police support, but you still must be vigilant and watch for traffic. Don't get so caught up in your race that you forget to watch for cars.

Have fun in your first tri!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hit by a car today... Rss Feed  

of 1