3disciplines
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 30s
Overall Rank = 25/71
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Got a hotel room in PH and had a great time with George and Sue on Saturday...Sunday got up and ate the breakfast I'd brought, grabbed my gear, tested the gears on the bike, racked, got marked and chipped and hooked up with Kimm, the FAST girls, George and Sue.

Took a gu 15 minutes before the start
Event warmup:

just swam to the buoy's where the swim started
Swim
  • 22m 42s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first great lake swim, and it was kind of wavey, but I knew I'd be ok after my choppy swim Thursday. I drafted for the first time for about 1.25 of the 2 loops. That worked out really well for me! The gal I drafted was first in the swim for females and second overall female! I picked the right feet to follow!
What would you do differently?:

I sure wish I hadn't gotten dropped on the buoy turnaround by the fast swimmer I was drafting off of!!! Other than that, I thought considering the waves, I had a pretty good swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Well, not a very good transition...I hustled up to the mat, got told I was 5th female out of the water, then got stuck in the wetsuit! Chatted with my neighbor while struggling into my shoes and finally got rolling. I also didn't clip in very quickly.

I didn't do t1 practice with a wetsuit prior to this race. Should have done that, and probably would have done better.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 25s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.51 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a really good bike for me. My stupid computer wouldn't work, and the HR monitor wasn't registering much either(except on the hills) so I went mostly by RPE. I chased a 53 yr old guy for a while, but not so hard that I would be toast on the run. I knew there was a girl in my ag in front of me...I caught her on the hills and passed her (thank you Kensingon!)...but she came screaming up on me on her Cervelo in the .25 mile, but I beat her over the timing mat! :-) 1st overall for females on the bike. Yay!

Not much...I had a good ride, but had enough left to have a really good run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Meh...another eh t2. My socks got stuck...it rained on the second half of the bike, and I was wet. My stomach muscles cramped again while I was bent over too. I finally got my shoes on and headed out!

I say this every time...maybe run with out socks! :-) I wish I didn't get the stomach cramps, but I figure thats cause my blood is in the legs at that point!
Run
  • 53m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I had no idea what to expect out of my body...I'd done 25 miles at ILRA and Kensington and then after a break run 6.2 at ILRA with hills in an hour, so I knew I could finish. I think the cool temps and the knowledge that the course was flat helped me mentally. I just wanted to run as strong as I could, and I was happily surprised by my first mile time and the turnaround time. I was told by Juergon from BT and another fellow that I was 3rd female which was motivating, but I really just wanted to do my best. Of course, I kept my eyes peeled for the chick in my ag with the Cervelo...I didn't want her to come screaming up from behind again! :-) I saw her after the turnaround, told her she was doing a great job, and kept on trucking! Everyone was really encouraging to one another on the run, which was cool! I was sucking wind and gave it all I had once I hit the park!

Not much! I had a REALLY good run for me! My bum hurt and my legs were all jiggly when I was done! Sweet!
Post race
Warm down:

walked a bit, went to check my splits and found out I was registered for the sprint still...stretched while getting Greg the info he needed to get me corrected and into the oly catagory. It was raining quite a bit, and I went to the tent, got my recovery drink and hung out with the gang.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Faster transitions would have been good! I guess I could have gone harder on the swim or bike, but I'm sure it would have slowed the run down. I plan on working on my run over the winter to try and be a stronger runner come next season! :-)

Event comments:

I ended up placing 3rd Overall for females. When Greg told me my time, I was shocked...I had no idea what my time was on the bike cause the computer didn't work. I knew I'd had a good swim and run, but I didn't know about the bike. I was really happy with my effort, and final time!

This was a great first Oly course! Swimming in Lake Huron is a crap shoot (The whitecaps were big on the run! Thank goodness we missed that in the swim!), but the mostly flat bike and flat and pretty run were worth it!
:-)

It was a great way to end my tri season. I'm sure there will be more oly's in my future!

It was so fun to race with Sue and George again, as well as the FAST girls and my captain Kimm! I had a great time once again!!! I love this sport!

Last updated: 2009-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:42 | 1000 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 24/71
Performance: Good
Suit: blue seventy wet suit
Course: t shaped...2 loops, then the turn left and into shore
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:25 | 24.85 miles | 19.51 mile/hr
Overall: 21/71
Wind: Some
Course: flat for about 8 miles, rolling hills for about 6 miles, then flat and fast for the return. It rained for miles 18 to about 23.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:53:12 | 06.21 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 44/71
27:09 out 26:06 back Woo Hoo!
Course: Flat course through the neighborhood and on the boardwalk and under the Blue Water Bride along Lake Huron. Really nice run! Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Blue Water Triathlon

2009-08-25 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2368222

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Subject: RE: Blue Water Triathlon
Incredible race Trish!  You really kicked that course's a$$
2009-08-25 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Awesome job! And you got hardware!
2009-08-26 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Nice job speedy.  I hope you let K and I hang with you again.  Did you have to put an addition on the house for all the hardware your taking in.  See ya soon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue Water Triathlon Rss Feed