3 Disciplines Racing
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 34s
Overall Rank = 61/85
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/7
Pre-race routine:

I spent the night at a nearby hotel, after visiting the Newport Aquarium the day before. We got up about 6:15, packed the car, checked out and had the free continental breakfast. A couple of apple danish and some fresh fruit (the eggs were cold). We drove to the race site, and after making sure my wife was comfortable, I set up my T area. I was fairly early (~1.25 hour before race start), so I picked a slightly damp spot next to the trash can in the middle of the area (run exit was opposite bike exit). I laid out my gear, and went to the locker room to change. I should have made sure all my street clothes were in the locker room, because things got messed up after the race a little bit (shirt in car, pants in locker, socks in bag at T-area, etc...)
Event warmup:

I threw on the knee warmers and took the bike for a short spin. I didn't measure it but probably about 1-2 miles. Then it was time to rack the bike and go inside. Some of the folks were warming up in the pool, but I skipped it. I didn't think there was enough time.
Swim
  • 11m 56s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

How's this for a start: I fell into the pool! The pool deck was about 2 feet above the water level, so I sat down to drop into the poll. But as I was dropping, I lost my balance and fell face first into the water. Once I caught my bearings I was okay, but it was a most un-graceful way to start the race...

The swim was pretty good. I was one of the last ten in the pool (we lined up in ascending order of estimated completion time). I passed about four or five guys, most of them on the last 50M - which I sprinted. Nobody passed me.

It was amazing watching the lead swimmers. There was a 14-year old kid who did it in about 6 minutes. He looked like he was going SOOOO SLOW! But in reality he was FLYING! There was visible evidence to "Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast."
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim faster and longer. Switching to breast stroke and stopping at the lane ends cost me some time (though I still did it 3 minutes faster than I thought I would). I just need to continue to improve to the point that I can do the swim continuously. The #6 guy had me by 1:20, or only :16/100m. I know I can hold a 2:00/100yd pace right now, but only with breaks. If I could have made that continuous, I'd have been 3rd or 4th in my AG. I'll get there. :)
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

T1 went very well. I hesitated to sit down in my wet suit, and this slowed me a bit because my balance was off. There were a couple of things that could have shaved seconds (tri top, no socks, shoes on bike, etc.) but I don't think it mattered much. Biggest goof was not putting my RoadID necklace on before my helmet. A wrist or ankle version would be faster (could swim with it). Also, I shouldn't have hung it on the handlebar - it got snagged on my brake levers.

(73/85 overall)

Sit down to get the shoes/socks on. Don't know what I was worried about. Also, wear a tri top. My bike jersey is too confusing to put on quickly (really deep zipper).
Bike
  • 40m 50s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I wish I had the HR data on the bike (and the run) but I ditched the chest strap in T1. That was quite a ride. I played cat/mouse with a guy on a nice Cannondale. Everyone was pretty strung out, but it was a great day for riding.

Train more on hills, and drink a bit less Gatorade. I think a shot of gel or something with the rest water would work better. The #5 guy in my AG had me by 5 minutes - that's a lot of time to make up (~2.5mph).
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

T2 went very well. I was transitioned in about 45 seconds, but stopped to drink some water on my way out. Racked the bike, doffed the helmet, traded shoes, and grabbed race belt & cap.

(71/85 overall)

Nothing. This one was smooth as glass.
Run
  • 28m 59s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

It was getting warm by the run. Well, okay, I was getting warm. The weather man says it was still only about 55, but I swear it was much warmer. I guess the run does that to you. The event staff was very helpful, encouraging and all. Still it would have been nice if the mile markers were in the right place.

Core work and flexibility, plus swim better. When I started the run, I had some cramps in my obliques and abs. I think this was from the swim, mostly (I didn't feel them on my bike/run bricks with much longer/harder bikes). I think strengthening my core and learning to swim better will help here. The #6 guy in my AG only beat me by 17 seconds, so I could have moved up if I'd been just a bit fresher.
Post race
Warm down:

Mostly I just walked around, found my wife, had some snacks, that sort of thing. We stuck around for the door prizes and awards, and to check my finishing time. I won a big bottle of Chocolate Hammer Gel and a flask. That was cool. I like winning swag.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming, core strength, and hill climbing. I'll get better at all of them as the season goes on. The hills were no worse than what I ride all the time at home - I just need to keep doing them.

Event comments:

Overall, I'm THRILLED with my performance!!! I had two goals, neither of which I had a chance of hitting. The primary one was a 1:30 overall finish - SMASHED that by 3-1/2 minutes!! The other was to beat tim_edwards (sorry, Tim!), which was a real challenge since he's a MUCH better swimmer than me, and pretty close on bike/run. I barely edged by him by 1:40, so having him to chase really made me push hard. My AG winner came in at 1:05:02 (7th overall), and the #6 AG guy was at 1:22:36, only 3:58 ahead of me... pretty darn good for my very first race, eh??

Only downsides (and they are small): The race started about 10 minutes late (don't know why), and the mile posts on the run were off. The free goodie bag had a Hammer gel, a sample of lotion, some electrolyte pills, and a FISHING??? magazine.

But it was well set up, lots of helpful volunteers, good layout, and ran smoothly. I got a finisher's medal, a icewater-soaked souvenier towel, and a very nice T-shirt. Folks who did all 3 races in the series also got a bike jersey, but I only did one race. I had a VERY good time, and will probably sign up for this one again next year, if my schedule allows. It was a GREAT first race!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:56 | 500 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 63/85
Performance: Good
Laps 1-2: crawl Lap 3: breast Lap 4: crawl Laps 5-6: breast Lap 7: crawl Laps 8-9: breast Lap 10: crawl sprint
Suit: PI Tri shorts, no top.
Course: 50M Pool serpentine swim. 10 lanes, so it was up lane 1, down lane 2. Which left some room for passing.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:14
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:50 | 11 miles | 16.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 61/85
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling hills doesn't exactly do justice to this ride. No long hills (everything > 0.5 mi or so), but we were pretty constantly going either up or down. Made it hard to maintain momentum. I used the full range of my gears, but I didn't have to stand. More time outside on the bike would have helped.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:59 | 03.1 miles | 09m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 62/85
The "miles" weren't evenly spaced, but here's what I got: Mile 1: 10:04 Mile 2: 8:11 Mile 3: 10:44
Course: The course was only a little bit rolling, and fairly fast. Not much traffic. The mile spots couldn't have been evenly spaced because there's no way my mile splits were that uneven - especially since an 8:11 mile is nearly a flat-out sprint for me.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-16 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Subject: Silverlake Sprint Triathlon #3

2005-05-16 9:41 AM
in reply to: #158148

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Silverlake Sprint Triathlon #3

Congrats on your first race! Way to "dive" (or fall) right in!

-Rob

2005-05-16 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Congrats on a great race! It was a beautiful day!
2005-05-16 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Good job for a 1st race...you did especially well in T2...keep training!
2005-05-16 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
I added some pics to the report... Unfortunately my wife was trapped in the pool (waiting for the last swimmers to exit) while I was in T1 and biking, and then the camera malfunctioned when I returned from the bike, so we missed the T1/bike pics. But there's one good one (you can see I need to work on hip rotation!) from the swim, and a couple from T2, the start of the run, and the finish.

In case you're wondering, that's a banana peel and a Quaker Chewy bar in my hand...
2005-05-16 1:42 PM

User image

Buttercup
That is awesome! Congratulations on your first (of many?) tri's!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverlake Sprint Triathlon #3 Rss Feed