General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st year of full IMs - two too much? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-28 9:22 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-08-28 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2376075

Veteran
Eastern WA
Subject: RE: 1st year of full IMs - two too much?

"should i sign up for a 2nd ironman before i complete my first"

not to rain on your parade, but i would take it slow, wait to see how the training is going for ya by say april/may, and maybe sign up for an early season race (for '11 ie st george). 

im on the fence about signing up for IMC this year...will be my 1st, but a completely other story, personally i would wait. but i can see your point, 'hell, ill be in shape for it, why not just keep it up'...i think thats easier said than done.

good luck.

2009-08-28 10:30 AM

Pro
Parker, CO

bachorb - 2009-08-28 8:22 AM I just wrapped up my second full tri season this past weekend. In my first year I did two HIMs, then this year I also did two HIMs, both pretty comfortably in sub 5. My first full IM is going to be Ironman CDA next year, and I thinking of also signing up for IM AZ 2010. This will leave me time to do two full base-build-peak-race cycles, which will be nice.

Does anyone think two IMs in your first year of fulls too much?

yep!

2009-08-28 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2376276

2009-08-28 10:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
I know several athletes on these boards have done it so hopefully one of them will reply.  You obviously have been doing this for a while with several endurance races under your belt, so I think that you respect the distance and understand the time commitment.  If you like the training load, I think you can do it!  Good luck!
2009-08-28 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2376292

bachorb - 2009-08-28 8:34 AMI am not liking the first two answers here

Let me rephrase the question - has anyone done two Ironmans in their first year of full Ironmans and regretted it?

Yes, April IMAZ (trained for and started) and November IMAZ (4th year of tris). Regret it? I don't know if regret is the word. Sorta like living in dorm rooms as a college student. Do I regret it? Nope. Would I do it again? Not on your life. It's a VERY long year and LOTS of training and VERY easy to burn out. My reasons for doing the second were very specific, I would not have signed up for two had I finished April.

I also don't understand the philosophy of signing up for a second IM when someone hasn't even done the first. I understand IM fever, I just don't know why someone would do that. But I do things other people don't get, so who cares

Edited by ChrisM 2009-08-28 10:59 AM

2009-08-28 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2376292

2009-08-28 11:42 AM

Master
New Jersey
i had the same question last year, and am glad people told me right off, don't do it. I am now about a month removed from my first, and I cannot imagine doing a second one right now. I can't even imagine mentally nor physically preparing to start training for another right now.

2009-08-28 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2376477

Edited by bachorb 2009-08-28 12:00 PM
2009-08-28 12:27 PM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
bachorb - 2009-08-28 11:22 AM

Does anyone think two IMs in your first year of fulls too much?

Yes.
2009-08-28 12:40 PM

Come on guys, you should do what you want. I have my first IM on 9/13/09. I signed up for a year ago in Wisconsin. I have done 5 HIM's between last year and this year. This year I also signed up for IM St. George and IM Lake Placid. I essentially signed up for 3 IM's before ever doing one. I think this is perfectly sane. In my first year of Tri's I signed up for 5 local races all in the same day before ever doing a triathlon. I made it thru each of these just fine and pretty much set PR's at each race. I don't expect the same with IM though, especially since courses are very challenging. I personally prefer racing less and training more. I have throughly enjoyed training for IM WI and can't wait to start again. I like IM training the most too. The nice thing about signing up for more than one race is that one, you have a slot guaranteed. They are hard to get a slot these days since they sell out so fast. Second if you get injured or crash and can't race the first one, your whole year isn't wasted since you will be doing another one. I like a challenge. I also need a race to keep me training. Otherwise I start to slack.

2009-08-28 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2376627

bskyllin - 2009-08-28 10:40 AM Come on guys, you should do what you want. I have my first IM on 9/13/09. I signed up for a year ago in Wisconsin. I have done 5 HIM's between last year and this year. This year I also signed up for IM St. George and IM Lake Placid. I essentially signed up for 3 IM's before ever doing one. I think this is perfectly sane. In my first year of Tri's I signed up for 5 local races all in the same day before ever doing a triathlon. I made it thru each of these just fine and pretty much set PR's at each race. I don't expect the same with IM though, especially since courses are very challenging. I personally prefer racing less and training more. I have throughly enjoyed training for IM WI and can't wait to start again. I like IM training the most too. The nice thing about signing up for more than one race is that one, you have a slot guaranteed. They are hard to get a slot these days since they sell out so fast. Second if you get injured or crash and can't race the first one, your whole year isn't wasted since you will be doing another one. I like a challenge. I also need a race to keep me training. Otherwise I start to slack.

True, people should do what they want.  And, if so, they shouldn't ask what others think (especially since they are not going to follow it anyway).  God forbid someone that's actually trained for two in one year (i.e., me), or coaches (shane) or people that have acutally done any ironman distance (Fred) should offer their experiences
2009-08-28 1:00 PM

2009-08-28 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2376333

Pro
Libertyville, IL

irondreams - 2009-08-28 10:50 AM I know several athletes on these boards have done it so hopefully one of them will reply.  You obviously have been doing this for a while with several endurance races under your belt, so I think that you respect the distance and understand the time commitment.  If you like the training load, I think you can do it!  Good luck!
x2.  Key is if you like to train.  I would also wonder what your recovery time is like.  If you can jump back at it pretty quick after your long days and know how and when to structure training.  Nobody knows what kind of time or other limitations you might have but you.  Its definitely not the norm but if you feel you can handle the volumes physically and mentally, go for it (and take your lumps like a man if its not all ya thought it was!   )  In the end, if you train and race em right, you can pull it off.  Personally, I would try and lump that 2nd one closer to the 1st so I didnt have another loooooooooong 20 weeks til the next event.  If you 'race' that first one more conservatively, its really just a long long long training day.

2009-08-28 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2376672

Pro
Libertyville, IL

PennState - 2009-08-28 1:00 PM Ask yourself what you'd like to be doing in 5-10 yrs... If you are reall intent on maintaining the lifestyle of a healthy, happy ironman triathlete, then don't do 2 in a year. If you aren't worried about 5 years from now, then do your 3 ironman races in less than 1 calendar year like the above poster. I would love to hear back from him ina few years and get the 'post' reaction. As Chris said, it's not like anyone would listen anyway...the OP has already decided in the vast majority of these cases to go and 'do it' regardless. My hope on posting on this thread is to hopefully convince someone else who is reading this of the potential pitfalls of booking 2 or now 3 ironman races in a year. Also as I said, these sorts of threads will ultimately give the OP what he wants...ie; 'go do it' type of response. He's welcome to do whatever he wants...just that some of us are going to give our honest (brutally) opinion...feel free to use the advice or discard it.
To clarify my response along these lines, I dont recommend it, but I also dont think its the absolutely not that some are throwing out there.  I would factor in recovery times, love of training in general, ties to other life stuff (ie external stresses from family or not), knowledge of self as an athlete.  Thats not for any of us to determine for the OP.  At first I was ready to blast away, but again, do the training smart and the race is just another long day if you dont try and hammer it.

2009-08-28 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2376699

jszat - 2009-08-28 11:15 AM

PennState - 2009-08-28 1:00 PM Ask yourself what you'd like to be doing in 5-10 yrs... If you are reall intent on maintaining the lifestyle of a healthy, happy ironman triathlete, then don't do 2 in a year. If you aren't worried about 5 years from now, then do your 3 ironman races in less than 1 calendar year like the above poster. I would love to hear back from him ina few years and get the 'post' reaction. As Chris said, it's not like anyone would listen anyway...the OP has already decided in the vast majority of these cases to go and 'do it' regardless. My hope on posting on this thread is to hopefully convince someone else who is reading this of the potential pitfalls of booking 2 or now 3 ironman races in a year. Also as I said, these sorts of threads will ultimately give the OP what he wants...ie; 'go do it' type of response. He's welcome to do whatever he wants...just that some of us are going to give our honest (brutally) opinion...feel free to use the advice or discard it.
To clarify my response along these lines, I dont recommend it, but I also dont think its the absolutely not that some are throwing out there.  I would factor in recovery times, love of training in general, ties to other life stuff (ie external stresses from family or not), knowledge of self as an athlete.  Thats not for any of us to determine for the OP.  At first I was ready to blast away, but again, do the training smart and the race is just another long day if you dont try and hammer it.

Which ties us into some other very active threads....   If the OP's goal is to have a long catered (and expensive) training day, great.  I.e.,,,,,,,  "just finish"  then the advice is sound.

Of course all those other things factor in, but none of us are going to search his logs and race reports to give that advice.  As you said, none of it is up to us.  But... then again,......  he asked, didn't he?     And actually having trained for two, my opinion is in fact "absolutely not."  

Edited by ChrisM 2009-08-28 1:27 PM

2009-08-28 1:53 PM

I guess it's fair to add in, that I'm 25 years old, don't have a girlfriend or children, I live in an apartment, I have a cleaning lady who comes 2 times per month, and I recover very quickly. My job isn't very demanding either and I have a great boss with flexible hours. Lunch time swims, and can leave at 3pm if I need to or come in at 10am if I want.

With that being said I relly don't do anything but train for triathlons or go to bars with my friends who don't train for tri's. Right now as I taper for IM WI, I just am sitting around every night bored. So like they always say hindsight is 20/20... We shall see what happens. I'm confident my coach can get me to where I need to be. Good luck to all.
2009-08-28 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2376725

Pro
Burbs
ChrisM - 2009-08-28 2:26 PM
jszat - 2009-08-28 11:15 AM

Which ties us into some other very active threads....   If the OP's goal is to have a long catered (and expensive) training day, great.  I.e.,,,,,,,  "just finish"  then the advice is sound.

Of course all those other things factor in, but none of us are going to search his logs and race reports to give that advice.  As you said, none of it is up to us.  But... then again,......  he asked, didn't he?     And actually having trained for two, my opinion is in fact "absolutely not."  

if he 'just finishes' is he still a winner?
2009-08-28 2:29 PM

2009-08-28 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2376947

Pro
Libertyville, IL

PennState - 2009-08-28 2:29 PM Actually I think the real question is...do people want realn honest advice when they post questions on BT or do they want answers that fit with what they secretly already want. There is a good and a bad aspect to the 'you can do it regardless'answers that appear here. As Chris said...and I keep saying it's up to the OP, but some folks are surprised when they get answers...ie; no one can know what the right answer is except the OP, and yet they asked the forum for opinions. Opinions are given. Accept them yes or no...but they were given
Agreed. I can see the value in getting opinions on both sides, so there is value in asking the question, unless the checks are already made out to the IM folks.   I personally just like to find out can or cant myself vs taking somebodys word for it.

2009-08-28 2:49 PM

Mesa
If you want to do it, you can do it.

I did 2 my first year. IMAZ and Silverman. Then 2 last year Vineman and Silverman (and would have been 3 but I dropped during the Marathon @ April IMAZ).

I have now done 3 in 364 days... Vineman - Silverman - Vineman... and will continue that streak with Silverman in the fall and then St. George next year.

I am not sure why you would post this anyway? Are you looking for validation? Do what you want to do.

Edited by chile7473 2009-08-28 2:50 PM

2009-08-28 3:19 PM

2009-08-28 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2377067

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
bachorb - 2009-08-28 5:19 PM

I personally posted the question because I wanted to see if there would actually be a difference of opinion, or if it would be an endless string of "no - it will be an unmitigated disaster! I did it and I completely regret it!" Just taking a straw poll.

There seem to be credible arguments on both sides. I am leaning towards doing it though since it sounds like there are enough people who have done it or at least think it can be done. I am a 25-year old bachelor, so for now, whenever I am not at work I can train, so I have no problem putting the time in.

It can definitely be done; there are many people have done it before you and there will be many who do it after you.  Just because it can be done doesn't mean that it a good idea or that it is the best path for you to follow.

I have a few more thoughts but would be interested in how you would respond to these questions.

What are your goals with multisport?  Is it something you see yourself doing in the long term?  Are you satisfied with your times in other events or would you like to improve?  Are you interested in attempting to qualify for events like ITU Worlds, Clearwater or Kona?

Shane
2009-08-28 3:51 PM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Can't speak to doing two IM's in the first year, but I think there is at least one BT'er who did IMKY and IMmoo a week (or two weeks) apart.  You've already heard from a few who've done two in a year. 

Post IM, it can be hard to find motivation to train, particularly when the pain/fatigue of the build/race is still fresh in your mind.  If you've got a solid reason for doing both races and that's enough motivation to get back on your bike a week after the first finish, there's no reason you can't (or shouldn't).  Your motivation may change on you though, if your race doesn't go the way you plan.  How are you prepared to counter the "I've trained for XXX hours the last 12 months, thought I was ready, and could barely shuffle to a 14:57 finish."   This would be especially true, if you had expectations of going 11:15 and blew up nutrition.  (I'm not saying it will happen, but be prepared for it, nothing is guaranteed). 

As I see it, you've got two choices: 

1)  Skip signing up for IMAZ-10.   You can wait until you finish CdA to decide if you want to do another one, but it almost certainly won't be Arizona 20 weeks later.  (Beach-to-Battleship and Silverman are both in November.  You might be able to register for either after CdA).  You might even be able to sign up for an IMAZ community fund slot for 2010. 

2)  Sign up for IMAZ-10.  Maybe you race both, maybe you back out of AZ and are out all or some of the entry fee. 

I was signed up and planning to race Steelhead (HIM) 6 weeks after CdA this year.  Bike crash and broken collarbone during CdA wiped out that plan. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st year of full IMs - two too much? Rss Feed