General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin Class vs Bike Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-26 8:30 AM

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: Spin Class vs Bike Trainer
Recently it was suggested that I do not attend spin classes as it is more beneficial to spend time on my bike, in the trainer, doing sprint workouts instead. The reasoning was that spin classes develop different muscles because the spin bikes are designed differently than a bike that has been fitted properly for me.

Any comments from those who train with a bike trainer AND attend spin classes?

2004-03-26 8:34 AM
in reply to: #14527

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: RE: Spin Class vs Bike Trainer

I know of some spin classes in the DFW area where you bring your trainer and bike - I think that would be ideal.  See if you can find such a thing up there in the great white north.

TB

2004-03-26 8:37 AM

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Ooooh...... I like that idea!
Never heard of that before.

Thanx!

2004-03-26 9:05 AM

I have not heard of this issue - spinning not being as good as your own trainer; different muscles used, etc. I'm interested in hearing what those in the know have to say about this.
2004-03-26 9:49 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

I've heard the same thing as well.  It's just like myissue with the "Training Bible."  I want to have fun, I'm not going to win the race.  If I'm having fun doing a spin class and not working on my trainer, who exactly is it going to hurt?  I did spin classes for 2 years but have just let my gym membership lapse so I am now working on my trainer. I can honestly say I see no difference in my road riding when I compare it to a winter spent spinning or a winter spent on a trainer.  But either is far better than no riding at all!

just my 2¢........

2004-03-26 10:24 AM

New user
I think the issues that come up are

1) with a trainer you are getting time on your bike that hopefully is fitted to you
2) the spin instructor may not have a cyclist in mind during class. The classes tend to be aroebic unless you have an instructor that is a roadie/tri

That being said you will get a benefit out of doing a spin class. Just dont think that what you do in a spin class is the same as riding outside!

If I have a choice I perfer to ride my bike- outside or on a trainer- but a good instructor could change my mind!

2004-03-26 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
If I didn't do spin class I would most assuredly shoot myself trying to ride an indoor trainer! Bike riding is sooooo boring inside. So without the spin class, well I'd never get on a bike. Luckily, I live in the Rockies and we have a 22-mile trail that goes through Colorado Springs all the way up to the Air Force Academy. I'll be doing that next month.
2004-03-26 11:46 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
I enjoyed the spin classes. My legs were never stronger than when I took the spin class. When I ride at home it was easy for me not to push myself but at spin class with all of those people in the room I didn't want to be a slacker or give into the pain as easily.

Mike
2004-03-26 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
One of the things Friel mentions is that if you're spinning you're muscles dont know the difference whether you are outside or not as the motion is the same. I take that to mean the spinning classes are just as beneficial as using your trainer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin Class vs Bike Trainer Rss Feed