General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 18s
Overall Rank = 718/4243
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 153/557
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 3:45 and got ready to head down to transition. I ate a quick breakfast and then drove downtown. Got transition setup and then went and hung out in the bar area of the host hotel with some friends until about an hour before my wave went off. I stored my stuff with the CPD\FBI tent as I have several friends that are with the CPD and FBI. I put the wetsuit on and got in line for the start corral.
Event warmup:

Nothing as they didn't allow a warmup swim
Swim
  • 31m 3s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was chaos for the first couple of hundred yards. I started too far to the back and was swimming over several people. It reminded me of an Ironman swim. Plus some of the swimmers panicked and were breastroking already at the 200 yard marker. I spent the majority of the swim going around slower people. Time includes a 1/4 mile run to transition. I was out of the water in 28:05.

Note to people who are new and my be reading this report. Please cut your finger nails before the race. I have a huge gash in my left thumb from somebodies finger nail.
What would you do differently?:

Start more to the front and get some more swim lessons. Swimming is my weakest link. I know that I am in good physical shape to swim, but my stroke is terrible. This winters project is to get faster in the water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Decent transition. I was in the middle of it so I had a long run to get to my bike and a long run to the bike exit.

Nothing, was happy.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 31s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was the usual cluster of Chicago with the passing on the right and the huge drafting. That is to expected with that many people racing. The trip north was tough as we had a 20MPH headwind. I was able to fly on the way back. I hit 32MPH on the flats a few times going south. Overall I felt the bike was pretty good. Chicago is unique and the actual bike is 25.5 miles. To get off of Lake Shore Drive they have to take you an extra mile.

Push it a little harder going into the wind. I think I held back to much. Most of my races the last 2 years have been 1/2 or full Ironman's and I found myself pacing a few times for those events rather than hammering it.
Transition 2
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

Not sure what the heck I was doing here. I spent way to much time in T2.

Move faster
Run
  • 51m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was going great. I was averaging a sub 8 until I got to mile 5 1/2 and my left hamstring started cramping. I had to stop and stretch it a few times the last 3/4 of a mile. It really added to my time. I got the mother of all cramps just as I hit the finish line. The temperature was perfect, it was a little windy heading north but not too bad.

Need to figure out what caused the cramp. Since it was cool, I probably didn't take enough fluid in on the bike. I had about an inch of Infinit left in my bottle on my bike. I wasn't taking in that much fluid on the run either until I cramped. I may have to start bringing a few endurolytes with me on the runs for Olympic distance. If I didn't cramp I probably would have gone under 2:40.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my left hamstring and tried to get the cramp out of it. Once it subsided I walked around some and tried to stretch it out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cramp I got on the run and the lack of sleep two nights before. I went to a Nine Inch Nails concert on the Friday before the race and didn't sleep much that night and drank way to much. Oh well, I had fun at both the concert and the race.

Event comments:

This is a good race. The only issue I would have with it is that it has gotten too big to the point the bike is dangerous. However, with the size of the race the organizers do a great job. Everything ran on time and there were no major issues with timing, running out of fluid, etc...

Last updated: 2008-11-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:03 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/557
Overall: 1092/4243
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Started going south towards the Shedd Aquarium. Turned North and finished close to the yacht club.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:31 | 24.85 miles | 20.56 mile/hr
Overall: 622/4243
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Two loop course up north to Foster and back. A few small rollers that are overpasses.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:06 | 06.21 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 0/4243
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back along the lake front path. Head south past McCormick Place and Solider Field to 31st street and then back. Finished at Columbus and Balbo.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-08-31 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2380976

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Subject: RE: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Way to "leg it out" yesterday!  I had that cramping issue last year when I did the Chicago Tri.  It was really hot that day for me, so you can definitely blame your hammie cramp to the mosh pits at NIN.  I bow down to you for getting to go to their last Chicago show ever.

Keep up the good work ethic and I'll see you out on the courses next season!
2009-08-31 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job.  That's flying on the bike! 
2009-08-31 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Congratulations on a great time!
Nine Inch Nails... hmmmm, and the big cut on the swim. I wonder if there's some sort of invisible connection here...
2009-09-01 4:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Concerts? drinking before the race?  You're like a rock star of triathlon.  Congratulations on the finish.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed