United States
Sun Multisport Events
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 00m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 49/64
Pre-race routine:

Got up and got my stuff in the car. Ate 1/2 my corn muffin on the way up. Pump tires get set up, go back to car, braid hair get wetsuit on. Back to transition to drop off stuff. Nothing exciting. My mom and dad drove up seprately and they found me before the swim start. Hung out with the BT gang
Event warmup:

Nada. Usual drinking of diet coke, eating of corn muffins and braiding of hair

After carefully cutting and pasting the results for all 64 people in my age group into a word document the computer has eaten it. I'm not doing it again. If anyone is really curious about how mediocre I am then you can go check the race results yourself. In NE they don't seperate out the age groups so if you want to know where you stand you have to pick out the data on your own.
Swim
  • 26m 18s
  • 1584 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Before the start I just KNEW someone would kick my watch and turn it off. Was trying to figure out some way to prevent this. There was a TON of contact....Holy smokes. It was women 35-44. There were 64 people in my age group ALONE!! Last year there were only 37 people in my age group...WTF? Anyway I felt like I had an awesome swim even tho my time does not reflect it. I was able to keep up with the lead group the whole time and drafted a lot more than I am normally able to.

Had a plan from my swim coach Morag of how to aggressively swim this and followed the plan well. I thought I swam as aggressive as I could and was happy with my performance. I was keeping my arm turn over fast, rounded the buoys well and I was picking off people from previous waves by the 3rd buoy. Only thing that really slowed me down was the amount of contact and trying to void it. Get out of the water and swim time is 1:21....AARGGHHHH That TOTALLY screws me up when I have no clue where I am time wise. SO ANNOYED.
What would you do differently?:

Not get my watch kicked.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

Ran up into transition. It was wet and muddy so I was trying to be careful and some stupid lady yells BE CAREFUL ITS WET....distracted me and down I went. I mean DUH it rained for 24 hours and everyone running thru here is wet. Get into transition and sit down to get the wetsuit off. My patch job at least held and I didn't rip the leg off the suit although I struggled getting it off. Helmet and glasses on, off I go.

MAJOR mistake......when I got out of the water and saw my watch had got kicked AGAIN I started the timer again. Then because I wanted to have some kind of clue where I was race wise I switched it to 'time' mode to see what time it was. OK but the PROBLEM was I had no idea when my wave went off other than I was in the PURPLE wave nor if the race started late so really not helpful. Then when I went out of T1 I hit the lap button but because it was still on 'time' mode it didn't start a new lap. Just not my day.

Don't switch watch to time mode. Get a new wetsuit. Not fall down
Bike
  • 1h 21m 6s
  • 25.33 miles
  • 18.74 mile/hr
Comments:

My 4th time doing this race plus I have done Patriot twice and that course overlaps about 80%. It was chilly for a Florida girl and rained a bit which made me cold and worried about the road surface. I just sucked today. I realized about a mile or so in my watch was still AFU. I figured I would hit the lap button at 5 miles....see the placard hit the lap button look at the bike computer it says 4.54 or something like that...WTF???? I had to change my bike computer battery and now I am thinking the wheel setting is wrong. How accurate is my speed reading if the distance is off/ A little way down the road there is painT on the road that says 5.....my bike comouter reads 5....OK so much for a bike split either...or even a 20 mile split. SOOOO not my day. This is the 3rd time this watch kicked on the swim thing has happened in a race and it COMPLETELY throws me.

Around mile 7.5 ish there is a short downhill. There was a racer down on the side of the road. There was a volunteer with him and another person with a car but I stopped anyway. If I can help I will help. He was conscious, talking and moving all 4 extremities. Bloody and craddleing his right arm but in no immediate danger so I moved on as they had already called for an ambulance. I think 30 people passed me when I stopped and then I had to go a hill with no momentum but I like to be able to sleep at night. I hope he is OK

Anyway. I know the course. I didn't have much confidence in my bike computer at this point. I just rode my own race. I had no bike mojo at all. They made the race start an hour later this year which I think was a HUGE mistake. I have never encountered so much traffic on this course and it kind of sucked.

No idea. I had a mental breakdown over the whole watch issue which I have no idea how to fix. I'm pretty low tech but I need my watch. Its REALLY hard for me to push myself with out that. Maybe I will wear one on each wrist for IMFL. All in all a crappy performance for me
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Nothing much exciting to report. Wiped my feet off and put on my shoes etc.

Nothing. I need the socks
Run
  • 1h 08m 12s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

I actually felt really really good coming off the bike. The strongest I think I have ever felt coming off the bike. Maybe because my bike sucked :) The usual pass Sue fest but I was doing my best and I felt good. Had memories of past races at this venue and feeling horrible at certain places and was so happy to be feeling good. I was not crazy about my pace and was trying to take mile splits but the paint and the placards didn't match so I dont' think it was all that accurate. Retrospectively I wish I had not taken mile splits. I would try to pick it up some but whenever I did that I would get out of breath. Lesson is RUN MY OWN RUN. I walked a little but really not that much. I did my best and despite the fact its not my FASTEST run on this course it felt the best.

No idea. I'm open to ideas
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Just packed up transition and hung not with everyone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really was not mentally into it this year and I am not sure why. Bike was just totall flat effort. Would have been sub 3 if I had not stopped to help the injured cyclist but whatever. I'd rather be 3:00:49 and feel good about myself.

Event comments:

This is a nice race but mostly I like seeing and racing with my NE BT friends :) I like the patriot venue better.

I forgot to give the BT tough cookie award out because it was in my transition stuff to my car and it was in there. I award the BT tough cookie award to Marianne for racing a mere 6 weeks after her bike wreck and PRing to boot.

Last updated: 2009-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:18 | 1584 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/64
Overall: 64/
Performance: Average
Suit: Patched xterra full
Course: Around the edge of the pond. They changed the first buoy this year and due to higher water levels than in years past I think they wer able to set the buoys to make the course a little longer
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:21:06 | 25.33 miles | 18.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/64
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Out and about thru SE Massachusetts
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:08:12 | 06.2 miles | 11m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/64
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Mile 1 10:16 Mile 2 11:31 Mile 3 10:55 Mile 4 10:42 Mile 5 11:15 Mile 6.2 13:32
Course: around and about thru cranberry country as the race name implies
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-31 5:44 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Cranberry Trifest

2009-08-31 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2381319

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest

Wow that Tough Cookie Award is still floating around? TriMom217 would be proud to hear that!

I had to do all of IMLP without my watch - it is a little disorienting so I can see how it got to you. I had just bought this new purple Ironman Sleek model that I thought was so cute, but it leaked during the swim and wasn't working by the time I got out of the water. I was so pissed I wanted to chuck it so badly, but I needed to keep it to get my damn money back! I looked stupid asking people what time it was when I had a timepiece strapped to my own wrist.

Anyways, sounds like you had a great swim and run, and you did your best!! That makes it all worth it -- sorry I missed you and your parents!

2009-08-31 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

Nice job, despite the watch nonsense.  Of course you did the right thing stopping to check on the cyclist.  I wish I was able to join you -- but I was in no shape to race....

2009-08-31 7:51 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
great woek Sue!!!  Some days are easier than others!!!  Way to persevere without your watch!!!

2009-08-31 8:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Despite the watch drama (ive been there) and the bike crash.(I thankfully havent been there). Still a great performance!!..Your bad bike day would be a good bike day only in my dreams!!

2009-08-31 9:33 PM

User image

Pro
MA
My bike computer said 4.5X by the Mile-5 sign, so your bike computer is right.  All the signs arrived consistently 0.4X earlier. 
I think you had a great race, and you STOPPED to check on that injured guy.  Not only you're a good athlete, you're a good doctor!
It was great to play with you for 2 weekends in a row.  Nice to see your parents again, too.

2009-09-02 7:57 AM

Uxbridge

I am honored to be a receive the tough cookie award! I agree with DK..I thought the markers were a bit off too.

Great race report...the watch thing just messes it all up ugghhh...but to feel good on the run is a big plus.

Very fun race and great get together with all the BTers!!!!!

2009-09-02 11:44 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Hey Sue, nice job sticking with it on a day that obviously wasn't going to be your day.
2009-09-02 2:11 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Nice job Sue.  Big props for stopping to check on the injured dude!  
2009-09-04 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

"socks" needs socks..funny!!!  I was wondering about the tough cookie award, thanks for remembering!  nice race, good pacing. watch thing is a bugger, I swam without mine too.

2009-09-04 7:41 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
great job Sue!

2009-09-04 8:12 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Glad you came up to hang with the NE BTers...we all love you!

Run your run is always good~
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest Rss Feed