General Discussion Race Reports! » Fawn Lake Triathlon Sprint and Super Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fawn Lake Triathlon Sprint and Super Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fredericksburg, Virginia
United States
Race Timing Unlimited
Total Time = 1h 07m 47s
Overall Rank = 3/70
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Bowl of oatmeal at home, coffee, bagel w/ peanut butter on the way and while setting up transition.
Event warmup:

Swam about 100m. Water was real warm, so getting warm was not going to be a problem.
Swim
  • 16m 36s
  • 766 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Again, the second leg of the swim was right into the sun. I even had my polarized tinted goggles on. I sighted off of other people and didn't see the buoys until I was almost on top of them. I can't tell you if I swam a good line or not. If this race happens again next year, we should go the other way.
What would you do differently?:

My problem with swimming is that I don't do enough of it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Decent transition, raced w/out a shirt this time and put on my bike shoes with no socks as usual. Not wrestling a shirt on was time saver. Helmet and sunglasses went out without a hitch. Had a container with water to step in since the lake had a sandy beach... worked pretty good.

I should probably look into some tri shoes or work on having my shoes clipped on the bike already. That's the next technique IMO to streamline my T1 time. Otherwise I could hustle a bit more to the bike and to the mount/dismount line I suppose.
Bike
  • 29m 11s
  • 12 miles
  • 24.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike ride, but it takes me a bit to recover from the swim. My rear wheel is out of true and was rubbing on my brakes... pulled the wheel release lever to open the caliper.

I feel pretty good about my biking, got new wheels in the mail. Still room for improvement.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Couldn't get my left bike shoe off, had the top strap still Velcro'd.
Went sockless, but still tying up laces. I need to either get some Zoots or elastic laces to fix this issue. Stuck my cheapie wrist watch on my number belt so I wouldn't forget it this time. Not knowing the run course I'm not sure what a stop watch tells me... but whatever.

If my bike shoes had come off easier and I had slip on shoes, this could have been my first sub minute transition.
Run
  • 19m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

My first triathlon 5K leg where I didn't feel like I was going to vomit. I can attribute that to not popping a gel on the bike leg. Small cup of water at the turn around, otherwise that little sip was the only thing I took in the entire race. Ran with the guys around me and passed them at the turn around. My 8 mile training runs are paying off.

Maybe I'll get one of those Garmin watches so I can keep better track of my running. Could have run faster, but overall happy with my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Congratulated the guys coming in behind me, drank some water, walked around, talked with some people, found my wife and daughter.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly my sub-par swimming. Bike and run could be faster, little things in transition could get me a few seconds, but my swimming is a huge gaping whole in the three major disciplines. This is only my third triathlon, overall I'm pretty happy with my progression.

Event comments:

Hats off to the RD who put this together. Would do it again for sure.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:36 | 766 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/70
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Counter clockwise triangle The second leg was going right into the early morning sun, sighting was impossible.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:11 | 12 miles | 24.67 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: Lightly rolling loop done 3x.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:19:27 | 03.11 miles | 06m 15s  min/mile
Course: Nice little out and back on paved path.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-01 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Subject: Fawn Lake Triathlon Sprint and Super Sprint
My 12 year old daughter (first race she's attended) came to this race and was firing away with our Digital SLR... she got some great pictures and I made a post card of sorts.  

Edited by xeon 2009-09-01 10:14 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fawn Lake Triathlon Sprint and Super Sprint Rss Feed