World Triathlon Corporation
70'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 51m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Was up at 4am, ate a bagel and Diet Coke. Jim and I got the kids up and headed down to the river from the Galt House. The weather was somewhat questionable for days, so we were expecting cooler temps this morning. I had a pullover on and was starting to get warm, this was a good sign.
Event warmup:

Got to the river and met Peggy and Beth. Peggy and I headed to our bikes and began pumping tires and checking nutrition and basically setting up. Jim was able to come into the bike area because of a VIP bracelet ( thanks to Beth). He took pictures and helped set up. Was feeling ok, just nerves I guess. At this point we gathered our party and headed down to the swim start. It was about a 1/4 mile walk in the dark to the start of the swim line. Unfortunately, it looked like some people had been there for hours, the swim line went on forever, I mean this, this was the longest line I had ever been in. But we made the best of it and met some nice people and just waited while we people watched, which was fun.
Swim
  • 1h 23m 23s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

We heard the gun go off and the line stated moving at a steady pace. When we got to the porta potties I started taking off clothes and giving them to Jim. At this point I said some quick goodbyes and the line was moving faster, by the time I got to the ramp entrance it was jog to the water. We were told to enter onto a choice of two piers and dive off into the water. The water felt great, however a lot of bodies were around, more so then I thought since this was not a mass start. Headed up stream as the sun was rising straight ahead, very hard to site at this spot, I just kept looking for splashes of water. Made my way to the turnaround and kept feeling spots of ice water, very strange feeling, the water started getting a little more choppy. I could feel myself rise and lower out of the water. Left shoulder felt a twinge but kept trying to get to the end. Got out of the water 2 minutes faster then 2007, but only four minutes slower then Peggy, who I would consider a VERY strong swimmer.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure there was anything I could do different, I put a lot of time in the pool and I was a little faster, who knows?
Transition 1
  • 04m 12s
Comments:

Out of the water, had a little bit of a jog to T1, got bag and ran to tent, folks were great, got stuff and headed out as fast as I could.

nothing
Bike
  • 6h 21m 33s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike course, I trained this time on RT 8 east, it's a quieter road but now I know a lot flatter then RT8 west, which I trained on in 2007. I thought the course seemed more hilly then I remembered but it was still doable. Pace was great and I knew where I needed to be to finish in 6.05/6.10 ( my goal) and I was right on target until about mile 50 and heard a loud pop, didn't dawn on me that it could me but after a mile I realized I had a flat tire, I was pissed. This is where I screwed up, I had tube/CO2 and this quick fix foam crap. I think I was so focused on just getting back on the road that I did the quickest thing possible, which was the foam stuff. It seemed to work fine but now I know it did not fully inflate the tire. I got back on the bike and was so concerned about the tire I slowed down way too much, I think I was afraid of it going flat again and concerned what exactly the foam would do to it, stupid I know, but hind sight is 20/20. When I got to about mile 80/85 there were so many support vehicles I thought if I go flat I'd be ok getting help quicker, so I just hammered it, caught Peggy who passed me shortly after the flat and finished strong.

Oh boy, I would do a lot of things different. I certainly would change the tire and tube using the CO2, it appears I was cycling on a partial flat for about 60 miles which caused a lot of useless wear and tear on my legs. I certainly think I did not cycle at my full potential. This is the part that pissed me off more then anything, the Louisville newspaper reported that somebody threw tacks on the road and caused a lot of flats. There were also kids throwing sticks at cyclist. Why are people such assholes?? When I got home I changed the flat and sure as anything it was a pinprick hole that caused the flat.
Transition 2
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

I was happy I made it back to T2 with only the one flat. Quick change of shoes and socks and headed out.

Nothing, I shaved 50% of time off my last T1 and T2 times, I think that's good.
Run
  • 4h 57m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run feeling ok, but tired. I was slower then I had been in my training times but I think the bike issues caused some problems. I jogged most of the way and walked through the aid stations, I just felt I was out of gas. Had my Hammer gels and water but it just wasn't cutting it. Made my way to the turn around and apparently saw Jim, he thinks I wasn't happy, I think he was right. Felt better after the sun went down, talked with a couple of guys and began to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Four miles left and some guy told me that we beat the glow sticks, this made me feel better. I could hear the music getting louder and I saw more and more people. I tried to look excited going down the shoot but I don't think I pulled it off. But I was done and swore I would never attempt this again.

run faster
Post race
Warm down:

Met Jim and kids at the end of the shoot and walked back to the hotel. A long hot shower while Jim went and got the bike. We ordered pizza and went to sleep.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike portion is the only issue I really had. I felt some what cheated. I went into this knowing I could have mechanical problems, but these problems were within someones control. But I guess stuff happens and you move on. I still cut one hour off my last time. I love training and I know I thought I would never do another one, here I am 48 hours later thinking I would like to go back in 2011 and give another shot, just to see what I can do.

Last updated: 2008-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:23:23 | 4224 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: The course was up stream around tow island to a turnaround and then down stream.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:21:33 | 112 miles | 17.61 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: out and back with double loop
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:57:38 | 26.2 miles | 11m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: out and back twice, flat course, a little wind and some sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-01 4:36 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Ironman Louisville

2009-09-02 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2383553

User image

Oldham County
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congratulations on the improvement and pushing through the adversity.  Trust me, the police in Oldham Co. are well aware of the stick throwing and the tacks on the road.  It's unfortunate, and beyond me why idiots do what they do. 
Hope to see you back in 2011.
2009-09-02 10:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
You are awesome!
You are amazing!
2009-09-03 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Ohio
So sorry you got got a flat due to some azzhole. That sucks. But you rocked the course regardless. Well done.
2009-11-28 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Sorry I didn't comment sooner on your rocking IM. I was following you guys all day and getting updates from Beth. She told me a lot about you and the hubby. We've gotta all get together sometime.

Congrats with the race and best of luck with the P90X.  You should put up some pix along the way. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed