General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why a tri bike over a road bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-03 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Why a tri bike over a road bike?
So, what are the significant advantages of spending the extra money on a tri-bike as opposed to a road bike?  Reading on here it seems a lot of posters have a lot more disposable income than some of us beginners do.  I bought a road bike because I was told that is what I wanted in order to do tri's.  I can upgrade fairly cheaply from the low end road bike to a medium road bike by buying components.  So once again, what am I missing out on?

2009-09-03 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2387614

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Why a tri bike over a road bike?
The geometry of a tri bike frame allows you to adopt a riding position that better maximizes aerodynamics, power, handling and comfort. By comparison, anything you do to a road bike will compromise one or more of those aspects.

If you're going to just do triathlons, then get a tri bike. If you want more versatility (for group rides, hilly routes, etc.) go with the road bike.
2009-09-03 1:26 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It is really just up to the person.  But, a tri bike is easier on your core muscles, easier on your hands and wrists, has better aerodynamics while in aero position, opens up your body so you can breath easier while biking, shifts which muscles are being worked slightly making it easier to come off the bike onto the run with less dead leg feeling. 

In aero position you have less leverage on the handlebars, you are farther from the breaks and you may not be allowed in group rides or centuries.  Your neck will get more sore/stiff from holding the position and you may be tempted on longer rides to come up onto the horns, which puts you in a worse position than you would be on the road bike.  

That is my thumbnail.  On more technical courses some tri bike folks  use road bikes for the advantages of breaking, climbing, visibility and such.     My 2 coppers.
2009-09-03 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
I'm like you in the money area.  I only have a road bike along with some clip on aerobars. 

I'm more of a MOP guy and can't see spending the money on a tri specific bike at this point (don't get me wrong, if I had the money I'd definitely get one).  But I do a lot of group riding and general cycling, especially in the mountains.  The extra comfort from the road bike not being as aggressive of a position all the time suits me best.

If you don't do many group rides and know triathlon will definitely be your thing, then I'd say go with a tri bike to get that better aero position.  But other than that I personally don't see any huge advantage to a tri bike over a middle of the line, slightly more aggressive road bike, something like the Trek Madone (4.7 or 5.2), Cannondale Six, or Specialized Tarmac
2009-09-03 3:47 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
I started out on a MTB, then bought a used entry level RB, then a mid range (at the time) TB. My riding is limited to small friend based groups of 2-5 people, mostly triathletes themselves or alone and live in flat FL so a TB fit the bill for me.

When I was researching TB in 06 I was looking at the Felt line S32 and S22 (based on a fit session).  To upgrade the S32 to the next level components I was better off buying just buying the S22 to begin with, even with taking into consideration Nashbar.com or Performancebike.com sales.

If you have a lower end RB, one of the things you could do is buy a decent wheelset.  A friend of mine had a Cervelo P2SL and when we would coast he would always pull away from me on my RB (with both sitting up).  When I got my S22 we stayed even.  Plenty of watts were wasted turning those POS wheels!
2009-09-04 7:14 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-09-04 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2387676

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Baowolf - 2009-09-03 2:26 PM ..... shifts which muscles are being worked slightly making it easier to come off the bike onto the run with less dead leg feeling .......

Unfounded myth.  I can point out numerous TT bikes that do not have steep geometries.

Running well off the bike has everything to do with your fitness level.  If you have a good fit on a road bike it will be no different coming off the bike than a well fit tri bike as long as you have the appropriate level of fitness and did not hammer the bike too hard.
2009-09-04 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2387677

DC
"If you don't do many group rides and know triathlon will definitely be your thing, then I'd say go with a tri bike to get that better aero position."

Concurr! Although, I can't imagine riding a century on my RB now that I'm accustomed to my TB. Far more comfy & I can eat a 7-course meal while riding. (But I still do spend a good time commuting/shorter rides (40 milers) on my RB.)
2009-09-04 9:24 AM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Ride one, get fitted for one.  You'll notice a difference.  If you understand all the geometry talk it makes some sense but getting on a tri-bike makes it crystal clear.   They ride nice. 

In this sport you'll run out of money before you run out of things to buy that save 5 seconds.
2009-09-04 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2389342

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
drewbialk - 2009-09-04 10:24 AM Ride one, get fitted for one.  You'll notice a difference.  If you understand all the geometry talk it makes some sense but getting on a tri-bike makes it crystal clear.   They ride nice. 

In this sport you'll run out of money before you run out of things to buy that save 5 seconds.

Well put. I have a very nice carbon road bike with Ultegra components.......an excellent bike. But the first time I rode my tri bike I was blown away. Actually stopped during the first part of the maiden voyage to call my LBS and gush about it. I love it. Plain and simple.

Edited by aquagirl 2009-09-04 9:43 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why a tri bike over a road bike? Rss Feed