General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Beach Triathlon NOOB! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-05 10:55 PM

User image

Subject: Long Beach Triathlon NOOB!
Hey everybody,

This will be my first triathlon, and the part that makes me nervous right now is the swim.  I am not the strongest swimmer in terms of endurance, but I have been practicing and getting better at it for about 6 weeks now, but it has been in a pool at the 24 hr fitness gym.  I plan to start going out to the ocean these next two weeks.  But can anybody give me any type of advice?  Will the swim be as bad as I think?  I know it says theres no real waves because its inside the breaker, but is that really the case and is the water calm or am I swimming against the current?  Thanks for the help guys, I just need some better insight of what I'm really up against.

Mikey D.

2009-09-05 11:03 PM
in reply to: #2391924

User image

Extreme Veteran
Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Long Beach Triathlon NOOB!
I'll be at Long Beach too.  I've done 1 other OWS tri (All my other swimming has been in the pool) on a day with a ridiculous shore break.  Once I was past that though, I found it to be OK.  Bi-lateral breathing may help if it's a little choppy, but being in the moment is gonna get you through.  Hope you nail it.

2009-09-05 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2391935

User image

yeah man. I'm hoping that the adrenaline rush with a side of butterflies in my stomach will propel me through the swim.  See you there and good luck to you as well.
2009-09-05 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2391935

User image

btw, what is OWS?  i'm seriously a noob, but in time, will get all this triathlon lingo down.
2009-09-06 12:22 AM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

OWS = Open Water Swim

There's not really much in the way of either waves or current on the course for Long Beach Tri.  The course is down by Shoreline Village.  The start is to the east of the marina.  You swim out about 100 yds or so, then west along the beach, then in (the course will be marked by big inflatable buoys).  The beach exit is near the breakwater for the marina, right by Alfredo's snack bar right on the bike path.  The transition area is in the parking lot behind Alfredo's.

If you're planning an OWS anyway, you might just go down and swim there.  I think that beach is usually lifeguarded on weekends.  Go about 3 lifeguard towers east from Alfredo's and swim along the line of permanent swim area  buoys and you'll approximate the race course.

Other than just getting comfortable swimming in open water, probably the most important thing to work on when you're practicing OWS is navigation.  There's no line on the bottom and no wall in front of you, and without those visual cues most people do not swim straight, so you need to work on sighting.  Practice looking up every few strokes to keep yourself heading in the right direction.  During the race the buoys are pretty conspicuous and you can spot on them, but in practice you'll want to spot on objects on shore.  As you practice this, you'll also get a feel for which direction you tend to drift, so you can start to overcorrect when you sight.

In general, your first tri swim can be intimidating, especially if you don't swim in the ocean a lot.  Best bet is to start toward the back and off to the side, because if you're in the middle of the pack there's quite a bit of thrashing going on and you just don't need that.  Just stay clear, relax and swim your swim.

Freestyle is fastest, but whatever gets you around the course is fine.  If you need to breaststroke or backstroke or something, that's fine.  You can also stop if you want, and you can hang onto a buoy (not recommended, you'll be in the way of others) or a lifeguard board to rest, as long as you don's use them to propel yourself forward.

I'd also recommend checking out the run & bike courses beforehand.  You can find maps of both on the Pacific Sports website.  You can walk, run or bike the run course along the bike path, and drive the bike course.  The expo/packet pickup will probably be on the Queen Mary on Saturday, so it's convenient to do this before or after you pick up your race packet.  Oh, and definitely attend one of the race briefing sessions that they offer during the expo.

Long Beach is a great first race, in my opinion.  It was my first in 2006, and I'll be going back for the 4th time this year.  There are a couple of other LB Tri threads going in this forum, so check those out and also do a search in Race Reports to see other peoples' past experience.  There are lots of LB Tri vets here who will be happy to share and answer your questions.

Edited by tjh 2009-09-06 12:37 AM
2009-09-06 12:54 AM
in reply to: #2391968

User image

Thanks Tim,  I appreciate your feedback.  I will definitely attend those meetings, but registering for this forum and reading the reviews of people who did the LB Tri, I feel a lil bit more at ease.  I can tell you, I am definitely not overconfident about this, so I will be ready for this.  I just hope I don't get last place. haha

2009-09-06 4:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Long Beach will be my first Triathlon as well and I, too, have been swimming at 24 hr fitness. I did make it down to Corona Del Mar for a couple OWS's and it was a great confidence booster. So I would recommend doing that if you're in the area. Wednesday night between 5:30 and 6, there were quite a few people out there. Shout out if you want some noob commiseration ;-)

Thanks for the tips on sighting, tjh. Will give that a shot since I noticed I was all over the place last time down in CDM.
2009-09-06 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
I will see you all out there!  This will be my second tri and it sounds like it will be fun!
2009-09-09 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Long Beach was my first race and I will also be there in a few weeks. If you've never been in open water, I STRONGLY suggest you either swim out on the course, or in Alamitos Bay. OW swimming is very different from pool swimming and you risk feeling panicky on race day if you've never tried it. One thing about the LB Tri swim is that it is crowded. The good news is that makes sighting easier...just follow the crowd. It also never makes you feel "alone" in the water. The down side is that there is a lot of bumping and flying elbows, so you may want to start toward the back if you've never encountered that. The waves and currents are very minimal, which makes it a great first OW swim for newbies.

Good luck and I hope to see you out there!
2009-09-14 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Getting nervous!  My training has been slacking...
2009-09-14 10:03 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

You should be going light this week anyway.  Relax & have fun, you'll be fine.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Beach Triathlon NOOB! Rss Feed