Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-09-08 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2394241

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Subject: RE: Swimming Disaster
Great advice in the previous posts.

I am a pretty good swimmer, or thought I was when I did my first.  I trained in open water had a plan ect.  But nothing prepares you for running into the water with 80 people.  I will never forget the first 100 m of my first race.

My 2 cents... swimming is stroking and breathing, just have to have confidence you can get it done. You train for hours and hours running, biking, and swimming, there no reason you need to throw in the towel after 50-100m.  Its tough though because the idea enters your head and the panic button wants to be pushed.   Its great you have a "go-to" stroke I don't think that gets talked about enough.  So much of the swim portion of the race is stopping, starting, spotting, and navigating around slower swimmers, especially if you got off to a rough start.  I think its good to have a stroke your confident in like breast or side-stroke so you can collect yourself, get your breathing right and can get back in the flow.  Just don't get trapped into that stroke for the whole race.  Couple strokes get your bearings and back to work... stroke and breath.

Good luck, the swims get easier.

2009-09-08 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

I always tell people when they are getting ready for their first OWS-tri.

1. Start out in the back, left or right far side from the turn.

2. Start out 3 times slower than you think you can swim, and then slow down more.  The first 200 yards should be about being smooth and clean.  If you start racing, you will likely get into a huge panic.  You have a long swim to cover, you need to be able to breath the whole way.  You cannot do that if you blow up 100-150 yards/meters into the swim.

My first tri I had the panic, I was in a pool but I hit that 100-200 yards and could not get enough air into my lungs.  I just simply started out way too fast.  Now I always start slow and get my stroke.

2009-09-08 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2394482

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
RichMan - 2009-09-08 11:07 AM  I myself have never worried about drowning, I worry about getting eaten.

I can relate to that one... lol  Did you read the thread about the guy who was doing an OWS and something bit down on his ankle?  When he looked to see what it was... it was a dog!  Yes, A dog chomped his ankle out in the middle of a lake.

Actually, my biggest OWS fear is bacteria.  All I can think about is getting some rare bacterial infection of some sort from some little microscopic germy thingies... ick!

And there's nothing worse than having seaweed crawl up your leg.
2009-09-08 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
There is for sure something to be said about making sure your breathing doesn't get out of control. It is soooo hard to start off easy. At least for me. I have done well in both OWS TRIs that I have done but they haven't been without gasping for air at some point. I always start off strong. I don't want to navigate around a lot of slower swimmers later. But it's that strong start that makes it hard to get into a groove after the first 100 - 200 meters. For me, a lot of it is how competitive I am. Heck I start swimming faster when someone in the lane next to me at the POOL seems to be passing me. I guess I just have to stop paying so much attention to everyone else and concentrate on what I'm doing. So far the contact in the water has not been that bad. I mean it happens but I just kinda expect it. I haven't been kicked in the face or completely swam over or anything like that but you do get your fare share contact.
2009-09-08 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2394972

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
maria40nc - 2009-09-08 11:38 AM

And there's nothing worse than having seaweed crawl up your leg.

Yeah there is... half inhaling a chunk of seaweed. Talk about yuck!

Then there was the time when I stopped to tread water and put me feet way into the tops of underwater plants that I had no idea were under me.
2009-09-08 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2394727

Khyron - 2009-09-08 11:43 AM
You obviously didn't do your OW drills.

Here is the standard training video:

that was funny-thanks for posting it! 

2009-09-08 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

People have offered some great advice. Particularly getting more time in the water. However, there is more to open water racing. To help both those new to open water and those wanting to get better, I tell people there are 3 things you MUST do to be successful in open water:

1) Don't Panic

2) Don't Panic

3) Don't Panic

No matter what happens. To help with this visualize the swim and mentally rehearse successfully negotiating your way through a crowd with people bumping you along the way. Visualize seeing things, feelings things, swallowing water and breathing under control at all times even if doing so requires you to stop or flip over on your back to relax. If you know it will be cold, visualize it that way with you breathing calmly. Visualize what you would do if you had problems with your goggles (and then go out and get a pair that fit). Mentally rehearsing success is particularly useful in open water even though there is a likelihood that something totally unexpected may happen.

For example. I recently finished a race from Alcatraz. The organizers did a test run the day before and advised everyone that times will be fast and the faster swimmers could aim right for the finish. However on race day I kept finding myself off course. I thought it was me, but no matter how many times I made a correction I continued to be off course.  When I finished I asked someone if they were having problems with staying on course. Turns out there was a current that day that wasn't present during their test swim. Luckily I mentally prepared myself not only for the cold water (I swam in the "skins" division) but also how I would handle currents and being in the water longer.

If you master all of those you will have mastered the next step after not panicking, that being, no matter what happens keep breathing normally. Sounds funny, but swimming well is all about breathing. Whether in the pool or open water, you must master breathing correctly before focusing on the more esoteric details of stroke mechanics. People often forget this.

2009-09-08 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2394409

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
lisac957 - 2009-09-08 9:33 AM
neuronet - 2009-09-08 8:48 AM

Also, a couple of minutes before start time, I put goggles on, and duck underwater to make sure there are no leaks.

x2. Dip them in the water first so they get a good seal on your face. If you can't dip them in the water, lick them.

I'm actually going to respectfully disagree with you Lisa, on this...sorry.   Perhaps this just only happens to me (which wouldn't surprise me one bit...lol), but everytime I have dipped my goggles in the water before putting them on, it was an invitation for them to leak and/or fog up instantly.   On the instances where I put them on completely DRY...absolutely no problems at all.  No leaking, no fogging.  So now, I always make sure that my goggles are completely dry before I put them on...otherwise, I'll be in for a host of problems.   Like I said though, this might not work for everyone...could just be a specific problem that only I have. 
2009-09-08 8:24 PM

User image

New user
West Coast/Central Florida
My first Tri was this past weekend and the swim is what scared me the most and I've been in Florida and in our lakes, oceans and rivers most of my life.   I was familiar w/where we were swimming, but when I saw how far we actually had to go out to, I turned away and tought to myself, I can swim, I can do this.  When the horn went off, I just went with the novice group, never realizing they may be as nervous as I was until I saw the look on the girl next to me.  She reminded me of the girl on the Titanic just before she fell!  Not what I wanted to see!!!  I wondered why I wasn't that nervous.  Good fitting goggles is a MUST!!!  I didn't get a drop of water in my eyes (did while practicing in the pool), but maybe that's because I only put my face into the water one time, opened my eyes, and said "oh no you don't!" The green glow underneath me (and the weeds at my feet) were not anything I wanted to see.  So I kepy my eyes on the bright yellow buoys.  Eye on the Tiger.  That's how I got though, good goggles, a determination to make it, and keeping my eye on the buoys!  Forget what's under you and you'll make it!  Good luck!!!  Next time will be better!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Disaster Rss Feed  

of 2