General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving up to Sprints Next Year - What should I be doing Offseason? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-08 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Moving up to Sprints Next Year - What should I be doing Offseason?

I finished my second Try-a Tri over the weekend and I was very happy with my result (33/172 overall!).  So I now have the confidence to move up to full Sprints next year and I'm wondering what I need to do over the next 8 months or so.  Here is what I have as a general plan and I'm looking for advice as to whether I'm going about it the right way.

Sep - Dec:  Goal is to improve run, loose a few more pounds and take a gentle step back in training from the summer (my kids miss me).  I've signed up for three 5k races in the fall to help keep focus.

-increase my running volumes and work on reducing my 5k pr (32 min)
-continue spin classes 1-2x per week
-strength training 1x per week
-occational outdoor rides

Jan-March: Goal is to improve swim time, increase run distance

-get a swim coach and really work on form
-continue spin classes 1-2x week
-longer runs in the 7-10k range
-convince husband to let me replace my 20 year old road bike

April-June: Goal to to get comfortable doing the distances in a SBR in preparation for June race

-get outside on my (hopefully new) bike and ride a lot!
-improve times on longer runs
-get a wetsuit and get out for OWS (or wetsuit in pool)

I know many on this board will have more specific goals, but for me just getting through the distance in a reasonable time is the goal for me.  I love doing tris but I can't make it the priority many of you do (I'm a working mom with two small kids at home).  I'm a little nervous about doubling the distances because I know I can't double the training time -  I was doing about 5-7 hours a week over the past four months and that is probably the max my life can handle at this point.

2009-09-08 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2394966

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Moving up to Sprints Next Year - What should I be doing Offseason?
I would recommend using a specific plan that will fit your schedule to prepare for the actual race.  BT has some great ones of course.  They also have "winter maintenance" ones as well that allow you to focus on certain areas that you feel need improvement.  I would suggest checking them out.
2009-09-08 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2394966

Veteran
Subject: RE: Moving up to Sprints Next Year - What should I be doing Offseason?
I'm fairly new to tris too. I did my first one last summer, and have since done 2 more sprints.

5-7 hours a week is plenty to complete sprints and put in a reasonable performance. Some people on here really do dedicate themselves to triathlon, but most of us either cannot (or will not) give up everything to pursue triathlon.

At the moment I'm doing two sessions a week in each sport (plus some weights if I can find the time). I do two swim sessions of about 1,500m-2,500m (swimming is my strength!), two runs of 3-4 miles, and two bikes of 12-20 miles. 

I'm never going to be a world beater with that level of training, but I do OK in the local sprints and, more to the point, I really enjoy both the training and the racing. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving up to Sprints Next Year - What should I be doing Offseason? Rss Feed