Run The Day
61F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 22m 10s
Overall Rank = 7/62
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 7:45 (I love local races), got the boys up and got them breakfast, then drove to the park. It was drizzling and there was alot of standing water, but it wasn't too bad. Got signed up me in the 5k and Adrian in the 1 mile kids run. Adrian's race started at 8:30 and me and Matthew chased them around the park and I noticed that they didn't have any traffic control for when they crossed over the street at the park entrance so I boogied up there and took care of it. Then I jogged back to the finish and cheered the kids in and saw Adrian finish in 3rd place (was a little short of a mile, but who cares.) Then we walked back to the gazebo and Matthew wanted to play in the park so I took him over there and did some stride to loosen up. Then hit the bathroom and followed the herd to the starting line.
Event warmup:

About 15 min between the kids runand the strides. Did some stretching as well
Run
  • 20m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Started easy, didn't start on the front line, but found myself in about 10th as we got into the first loop in the park. Started to ease into my pace and picked up a few spots from folks who started off too fast. Was 8th after the first mile. Passed two people on Mikita and opened up a good gap on them by the turn around. I felt good working up the hill and it was really cool to still be in sight of the leader. The grassand gravel section was pretty rough. The grass was a truck path with a double track with many puddles. Plus my glasses start fogging up which just made it more difficult. Got to the bike path and saw two people who were missing the turn and directed them the right way (no volunteer at the only hard to see turn, not real good planning). I got passed just after the 2 mile mark on the grass loop by a new person i hadn't seen before. Got up to the bike path and reestablished my rhythem and pace which I lost on the grass loop due to the poor footing. I could hear someone coming up from behind but, I used that as motivation to keep this person behind my. I was slowly making up ground on the two folk in front of me, but I ran out of time. Pushed hard to the finish and held on to 7th by about 15 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, wasn't really ready to race and I lost my rhythm on the grass loop and let my glasses fogging up bother me too much, but I had a good run and then ended up winning my age group since 2 of the top 3 overall were in my age group thus they got overall awards and not AG awards.

Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the car brought the boys back to the gazebo, got an orange and some water and got a quick massage/stretch since noone was in line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Let the grass loop and my glasses fogging up get me out of my rhythm. Good otherwise especially considering no speedwork this whole year. I'll take it!

Event comments:

Good little race. The weather had an impact on the number of volunteers and athletes, but they did a good job.

Last updated: 2009-09-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:10 | 03.11 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 7/62
Performance: Good
No watch
Course: Start on Zeigler road, back into the park one loop around the soccer fields, back past the finish line back up Zeigler to Mikita road. A downhill to the turn around and back uphill to the park side entrance. Then a loop on grass (which was rough with the wet conditions) and then then long way around the park on the bike trail. Nice course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No